Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 13 February 2018, 14:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperdeep View Post
Will ranger bn add FID to their high speed FM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Nope. I don't ever see that happening. They have done some "Mentor" stuff in AFG but very mission specific.
Mentor stuff...hmm...mentor stuff...mission specific, let's see if that is outside of FID or not...hold on...check JP-3-05...umm...

Foreign Internal Defense: Participation by civilian and military agencies of a government in any of the action programs taken by another government or other designated organization to free and protect its society from subversion, lawlessness, and insurgency. Also called FID. (JP 3-05)

Hmm...sounds like FID to me...and knowing the Regiment, I'm guessing they captured some lessons learned and other things are wrote that stuff down.
Old 13 February 2018, 14:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Mentor stuff...hmm...mentor stuff...mission specific, let's see if that is outside of FID or not...hold on...check JP-3-05...umm...

Foreign Internal Defense: Participation by civilian and military agencies of a government in any of the action programs taken by another government or other designated organization to free and protect its society from subversion, lawlessness, and insurgency. Also called FID. (JP 3-05)

Hmm...sounds like FID to me...and knowing the Regiment, I'm guessing they captured some lessons learned and other things are wrote that stuff down.
Smartass....you know what I mean. You even know the program I am referring to. I still stand by that that is more of a one off special situation. Not something that will ever go into the METL.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 13 February 2018, 15:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Smartass....
Guilty as charged, your Honor.

However, had the 2016 presidential election gone the direction everyone thought it was going to go, there would have been a very different global footprint for DoD.

We both know that every unit will try to jump on any mission set to stay employed in an age of shrinking budgets and available missions. Those units will change their METLs in a heartbeat to stay employed (i.e. relevant).

I think back to my pre-war Regt time walking in tight circles around the South Rainier training area and jumping onto the airfield across the street from my barracks, when the only OCONUS possibilities were bilats with peer elements from countries just like us. Then I went to SF and went places and did things, all the time, all over the world.

I have heard folks from pretty much every unit out there, including Regt, tell me that "when the war ends, we ain't going back on the beeper, we're staying engaged.

Well, that's FID for you. A way to stay engaged, and relevant. Regt will re-write the METL and anything else they have to in order to remain relevant.

There's undoubtedly some staff officer from Regt looking at the SFAB right now, wishing he had thought of it first.

Last edited by gavin; 13 February 2018 at 15:58.
Old 14 February 2018, 08:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buaya Darat View Post
Splitting hairs, I know - the CAA beret is a darker shade called "charcoal brown" (at least the flash isn't crazy big like SFAB's appears to be, lol).

Just for background:

The CAA beret got it's kickstart in July 2017 when President Trump was presented with a prototype after a meeting at the White House to discuss FID activities in Afghanistan.

The SFAB beret was still green at that point; I'm fairly certain that once SFAB was switched to brown there was no attempt at deconfliction from the Air Force or CAA community.

http://www.afsoc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/article/1410562/quiet-professionals-don-brown-beret/

Good to know. Talked with the Some of the guys & gals about it back in October, mixed feelings about it from the small sample size.
Old 14 February 2018, 09:19
Administrator

Quote:
Guilty as charged, your Honor.

However, had the 2016 presidential election gone the direction everyone thought it was going to go, there would have been a very different global footprint for DoD.

We both know that every unit will try to jump on any mission set to stay employed in an age of shrinking budgets and available missions. Those units will change their METLs in a heartbeat to stay employed (i.e. relevant).

I think back to my pre-war Regt time walking in tight circles around the South Rainier training area and jumping onto the airfield across the street from my barracks, when the only OCONUS possibilities were bilats with peer elements from countries just like us. Then I went to SF and went places and did things, all the time, all over the world.

I have heard folks from pretty much every unit out there, including Regt, tell me that "when the war ends, we ain't going back on the beeper, we're staying engaged.

Well, that's FID for you. A way to stay engaged, and relevant. Regt will re-write the METL and anything else they have to in order to remain relevant.

There's undoubtedly some staff officer from Regt looking at the SFAB right now, wishing he had thought of it first.
Fair points all....although I can see them more doing something CJTF-HOA'ish (I know...LOL) as a geo footprint that they are responsible for rather than straight FID. I can also foresee some elements moving into the (real) Title 50 realm.
-Invictus
Old 14 February 2018, 09:36
Been There Done That

I don't see much difference between this and all the MAC-V advisors we had during the Vietnam conflict. Most of which were conventional officers and NCOs. Now as then, there is enough work for all to get a piece of the pie. You

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 February 2018, 09:54
Been There Done That

That motivated me Sharky.

Let the bodies hit the floor. HOOAH!

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 14 February 2018, 11:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
That motivated me Sharky.

Let the bodies hit the floor. HOOAH!

I have been fortunate to work and train with the Regiment quite a few times post 9/11. They are a whole different animal today than what we knew as the Regiment in our time. The foundations and principles are the same for the most part, but the capabilities now would have been unimaginable to us.

The OpTempo for them on the ground is brutal. I have seen many occasions where "other" units refused to action a target because it wasn't sufficiently high value. The Regiment developed a reputation for not turning down anything. As in, they were hitting something damn near every night they were on the ground. Many nights you would see the same platoon do two completely separate hits in one night. As a result, (and I was told this by someone who would know that sits echelons above the Regt) they have, by an exponential factor, killed more bad guys post 9/11 than any unit in the US MIL.

So yeah, that is motivating as hell.
-Invictus
Old 14 February 2018, 11:22

Quote:
You know this already, but Iíll remind you. That is a result of policy decisions, etc on regional engagement. Even if SFAB did not exist, TSC deployments for SF would continue, and the AF missions would not be filled.

The guys stuck skiing in Norway, well, would they rather be back watching mud dry in Mali?
Policies run all but if I type in all caps I bet I can change them with this forum.

Sfab to the rescue!
Old 14 February 2018, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I don't see much difference between this and all the MAC-V advisors we had during the Vietnam conflict. Most of which were conventional officers and NCOs. Now as then, there is enough work for all to get a piece of the pie. You
Shouldnít we send the best advisors to a war zone? Why shake and bake a unit when you already have one that is designed for advising? I say itís as silly as having a special company in group thinking they can do what the somebody else does.

My sfab buddy assured me that the talent level is high with smu officers and silver star recipients but he also assured me that he just finally zeroed his rifle in January for this upcoming deployment.
Old 14 February 2018, 12:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperdeep View Post
My sfab buddy assured me that the talent level is high with smu officers and silver star recipients but he also assured me that he just finally zeroed his rifle in January for this upcoming deployment.
Ask him why he couldn't get an SMU officer or SS recipient to zero his rifle for him sooner .
Old 14 February 2018, 13:10

Haha! Truth be told he's an XO so he's just upset that he can't hang with the boys anymore.

I'm sure this unit will do good things but most of them are on the same page that they shouldn't have been awarded berets and advisor tabs. When I'm a general someday I'll fix it so until then... berets for all continues until morale improves!
Old 14 February 2018, 15:22
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Like my dad from 1962-63.

Our new posting rules