Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26 April 2017, 20:02
Steve40th Steve40th is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 394
Splice the Main Brace

Many of us Old Navy people remember this term.. Again, at my subvets this letter was sitting hidden on the wall behind some other items. It means allot. It shows how the Old Navy, Older Military was a huge team. Not saying there isnt any of that now, just not as much. Anyways, cool SECNAV message sent out..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Splice.jpg (19.5 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg 20170426_121927.jpg (18.5 KB, 335 views)

Last edited by Steve40th; 26 April 2017 at 20:11.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26 April 2017, 20:06
WGH0922 WGH0922 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,265
I've spent enough days on ships in MODLOC to get quite a few 'Beer Days'.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27 April 2017, 17:14
specwarnet specwarnet is offline
Researcher @ Large
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 409
I can't read the text in those images, but I found a fun memo from King Neptune via Admiral Nimitz in one of my Research trips. Less alcohol though, probably.
__________________
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion
-William Ralph Inge
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27 April 2017, 17:26
Steve40th Steve40th is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by specwarnet View Post
I can't read the text in those images, but I found a fun memo from King Neptune via Admiral Nimitz in one of my Research trips. Less alcohol though, probably.
I couldnt get the picture to upload in larger sizs.
But Splicing the Main Brace is a Naval Tradition.
History and Naval Traditions are cool to teach and passdown
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27 April 2017, 18:50
Armitage12 Armitage12 is offline
Confronting the Reckoning
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Old North West
Posts: 994
I would really really like to see a larger image, since it appears to relate to the surrender of Germany.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27 April 2017, 21:54
specwarnet specwarnet is offline
Researcher @ Large
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
But Splicing the Main Brace is a Naval Tradition.
History and Naval Traditions are cool to teach and passdown
I research in the National Archives quite a bit and started a website specifically because it is cool to share all the neat things I find that would otherwise most likely be lost to history. There's just so much like this out there....
__________________
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion
-William Ralph Inge
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27 April 2017, 22:01
Stretch Stretch is offline
The atomic zit
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Capital of the Old North State
Posts: 2,440
I did an image search of Splicing the Mainbrace...

The result were a bunch of photos of sailors and pirates on ship drinking who knows what out of a barrel, and most of those in line had a 3 gallon bucket sized metal pail in hand.

Cool post specwarnet!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27 April 2017, 22:16
bobmueller bobmueller is offline
Did...did I do that?
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Green Country, Oklahoma
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by specwarnet View Post
I research in the National Archives quite a bit and started a website specifically because it is cool to share all the neat things I find that would otherwise most likely be lost to history.
Where's the link?
__________________
This message is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27 April 2017, 22:37
specwarnet specwarnet is offline
Researcher @ Large
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 409
Oops, sorry. I generally don't like pimping my site out that much and figured the King Neptune link would be adequate.

ResearcherAtLarge

I'm working on books on WWII US Navy camouflage and aircraft carriers (separate books) but cast a pretty wide net. So, things like this interview with Marine Captain Joe Foss before he was awarded his Medal of Honor, the death of a US Navy Chief who had escaped from Soviet Russia only to die on a Soviet submarine sunk by a Japanese submarine, and this booklet describing some of the amazing efforts the men of those ships went through to save them and get them back to the US for repair grab my interest when I come across them.

Every time I go I find new things I never expected that just seem too cool to leave there (even though I have to), so I scan them in and try and get them posted to help get the story and legacy out there.

I make this offer elsewhere and I'll make it here - if anyone's interested in researching at the national archives or has questions I'll answer them and will help as much as I can. The more people we have searching, the more we find and preserve.
__________________
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion
-William Ralph Inge
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27 April 2017, 22:45
ET1/ss nuke's Avatar
ET1/ss nuke ET1/ss nuke is offline
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: summerville, sc
Posts: 4,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by specwarnet View Post
US Navy Chief who had escaped from Soviet Russia only to die on a Soviet submarine sunk by a Japanese submarine.
That's an interesting memo.
__________________
"I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Twain

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27 April 2017, 23:07
Steve40th Steve40th is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 394
This is the largest I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Splice Main 1.jpg (33.0 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg Splice Main 2.jpg (29.0 KB, 254 views)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 27 April 2017, 23:14
hawkdrver's Avatar
hawkdrver hawkdrver is offline
Red Headed Stepchild
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AK
Posts: 1,140
That is awesome X
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 6 June 2017, 14:09
PBRGuy PBRGuy is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by specwarnet View Post
Oops, sorry. I generally don't like pimping my site out that much and figured the King Neptune link would be adequate.

ResearcherAtLarge

I'm working on books on WWII US Navy camouflage and aircraft carriers (separate books) but cast a pretty wide net. So, things like this interview with Marine Captain Joe Foss before he was awarded his Medal of Honor, the death of a US Navy Chief who had escaped from Soviet Russia only to die on a Soviet submarine sunk by a Japanese submarine, and this booklet describing some of the amazing efforts the men of those ships went through to save them and get them back to the US for repair grab my interest when I come across them.

Every time I go I find new things I never expected that just seem too cool to leave there (even though I have to), so I scan them in and try and get them posted to help get the story and legacy out there.

I make this offer elsewhere and I'll make it here - if anyone's interested in researching at the national archives or has questions I'll answer them and will help as much as I can. The more people we have searching, the more we find and preserve.
Generous of you. I did some research at NARA College Park the last time I was in the area (long TAD in 08) - wish I was closer. I was able to look at a box of files from my GrandDad's WWI time, but never got to the photo section. I sure spent a lot of quarters on the copier! Wish I'd had a scanner and digital camera then.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 6 June 2017, 15:00
specwarnet specwarnet is offline
Researcher @ Large
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 409
Well, if your listed location is correct there's a facility in Denver, but I don't see many Navy records there (sometimes training bases show up).
__________________
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion
-William Ralph Inge
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 7 June 2017, 11:36
Streck-Fu's Avatar
Streck-Fu Streck-Fu is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I did an image search of Splicing the Mainbrace...

The result were a bunch of photos of sailors and pirates on ship drinking who knows what out of a barrel, and most of those in line had a 3 gallon bucket sized metal pail in hand.

Cool post specwarnet!
LOL...

Originally it was a reward for repairing the mainbrace during battle which was a very difficult job. Then it became a term to issue a extra ration of rum, then the Sailors ran with it and it became a term for a celebratory drink.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 7 June 2017, 11:49
Steve40th Steve40th is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 394
Yes, splicing the main brace was a reward. Grog, rum etc. Depended on your rank
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17 June 2017, 09:32
Gunk's Avatar
Gunk Gunk is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 448
That's cool.
My father-in-law served on the USS Augusta in WWII. He told me the came into port, cleaned and painted for a few weeks with no one allowed off the ship. Next thing they knew President Truman and the Secretary of the Navy were on board and they were flying across the Atlantic at full speed for the Potsdam Conference where Germany surrendered.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 17 June 2017, 10:27
specwarnet specwarnet is offline
Researcher @ Large
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 409
Augusta had a long history as a presidential transport. I came across drawings at the National Archives of modifications to a whaleboat for when FDR and his wheelchair needed transport when looking through some of her records looking for camouflage information.
__________________
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion
-William Ralph Inge
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 17 June 2017, 16:45
Gunk's Avatar
Gunk Gunk is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 448
Splice the mainbrace has a good wikipedia page.
Here is a good excerpt about the US Navy (naturally it was super badass fighting sailor Eugene B. Fluckey) :

"The order "Splice the Mainbrace" was still popular with some of the U.S. Navy's submarine fleet during WWII. On USS Barb, a skipper on combat patrols in WWII, during the boat's 8th and 9th missions in 1944, did in fact announce on the 1MC "Splice the Mainbrace" after each successful attack and sinking of a Japanese ship. On Barb 's 8th combat patrol, the skipper promised the sinking of 5 ships; Barb delivered. After each sinking the Skipper had a special cake made and each sailor was granted a shot of rot gut whiskey. On the 9th patrol, the Skipper was able to sneak 24 cases of beer aboard which was distributed after each of Barb's successful attacks."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 20 June 2017, 20:33
Mingo Kane's Avatar
Mingo Kane Mingo Kane is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by specwarnet View Post
Augusta had a long history as a presidential transport. I came across drawings at the National Archives of modifications to a whaleboat for when FDR and his wheelchair needed transport when looking through some of her records looking for camouflage information.
Wasn't it FDR that 'confiscated' Al Capone's armored car and modified it for Presidential use?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET