Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 26 April 2017, 20:02
Confirmed User

Splice the Main Brace

Many of us Old Navy people remember this term.. Again, at my subvets this letter was sitting hidden on the wall behind some other items. It means allot. It shows how the Old Navy, Older Military was a huge team. Not saying there isnt any of that now, just not as much. Anyways, cool SECNAV message sent out..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Splice.jpg (19.5 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg 20170426_121927.jpg (18.5 KB, 335 views)

Last edited by Steve40th; 26 April 2017 at 20:11.
Old 26 April 2017, 20:06
Been There Done That

I've spent enough days on ships in MODLOC to get quite a few 'Beer Days'.
Old 27 April 2017, 17:14
Researcher @ Large

I can't read the text in those images, but I found a fun memo from King Neptune via Admiral Nimitz in one of my Research trips. Less alcohol though, probably.
Old 27 April 2017, 17:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by specwarnet View Post
I can't read the text in those images, but I found a fun memo from King Neptune via Admiral Nimitz in one of my Research trips. Less alcohol though, probably.
I couldnt get the picture to upload in larger sizs.
But Splicing the Main Brace is a Naval Tradition.
History and Naval Traditions are cool to teach and passdown
Old 27 April 2017, 18:50
Confronting the Reckoning

I would really really like to see a larger image, since it appears to relate to the surrender of Germany.
Old 27 April 2017, 21:54
Researcher @ Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
But Splicing the Main Brace is a Naval Tradition.
History and Naval Traditions are cool to teach and passdown
I research in the National Archives quite a bit and started a website specifically because it is cool to share all the neat things I find that would otherwise most likely be lost to history. There's just so much like this out there....
Old 27 April 2017, 22:01
The atomic zit

I did an image search of Splicing the Mainbrace...

The result were a bunch of photos of sailors and pirates on ship drinking who knows what out of a barrel, and most of those in line had a 3 gallon bucket sized metal pail in hand.

Cool post specwarnet!
Old 27 April 2017, 22:16
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
I research in the National Archives quite a bit and started a website specifically because it is cool to share all the neat things I find that would otherwise most likely be lost to history.
Where's the link?
Old 27 April 2017, 22:37
Researcher @ Large

Oops, sorry. I generally don't like pimping my site out that much and figured the King Neptune link would be adequate.

ResearcherAtLarge

I'm working on books on WWII US Navy camouflage and aircraft carriers (separate books) but cast a pretty wide net. So, things like this interview with Marine Captain Joe Foss before he was awarded his Medal of Honor, the death of a US Navy Chief who had escaped from Soviet Russia only to die on a Soviet submarine sunk by a Japanese submarine, and this booklet describing some of the amazing efforts the men of those ships went through to save them and get them back to the US for repair grab my interest when I come across them.

Every time I go I find new things I never expected that just seem too cool to leave there (even though I have to), so I scan them in and try and get them posted to help get the story and legacy out there.

I make this offer elsewhere and I'll make it here - if anyone's interested in researching at the national archives or has questions I'll answer them and will help as much as I can. The more people we have searching, the more we find and preserve.
Old 27 April 2017, 22:45
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
US Navy Chief who had escaped from Soviet Russia only to die on a Soviet submarine sunk by a Japanese submarine.
That's an interesting memo.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 27 April 2017, 23:07
Confirmed User

This is the largest I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Splice Main 1.jpg (33.0 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg Splice Main 2.jpg (29.0 KB, 254 views)
Old 27 April 2017, 23:14
Red Headed Stepchild

That is awesome X
Old 6 June 2017, 14:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Oops, sorry. I generally don't like pimping my site out that much and figured the King Neptune link would be adequate.

ResearcherAtLarge

I'm working on books on WWII US Navy camouflage and aircraft carriers (separate books) but cast a pretty wide net. So, things like this interview with Marine Captain Joe Foss before he was awarded his Medal of Honor, the death of a US Navy Chief who had escaped from Soviet Russia only to die on a Soviet submarine sunk by a Japanese submarine, and this booklet describing some of the amazing efforts the men of those ships went through to save them and get them back to the US for repair grab my interest when I come across them.

Every time I go I find new things I never expected that just seem too cool to leave there (even though I have to), so I scan them in and try and get them posted to help get the story and legacy out there.

I make this offer elsewhere and I'll make it here - if anyone's interested in researching at the national archives or has questions I'll answer them and will help as much as I can. The more people we have searching, the more we find and preserve.
Generous of you. I did some research at NARA College Park the last time I was in the area (long TAD in 08) - wish I was closer. I was able to look at a box of files from my GrandDad's WWI time, but never got to the photo section. I sure spent a lot of quarters on the copier! Wish I'd had a scanner and digital camera then.
Old 6 June 2017, 15:00
Researcher @ Large

Well, if your listed location is correct there's a facility in Denver, but I don't see many Navy records there (sometimes training bases show up).
Old 7 June 2017, 11:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I did an image search of Splicing the Mainbrace...

The result were a bunch of photos of sailors and pirates on ship drinking who knows what out of a barrel, and most of those in line had a 3 gallon bucket sized metal pail in hand.

Cool post specwarnet!
LOL...

Originally it was a reward for repairing the mainbrace during battle which was a very difficult job. Then it became a term to issue a extra ration of rum, then the Sailors ran with it and it became a term for a celebratory drink.
Old 7 June 2017, 11:49
Confirmed User

Yes, splicing the main brace was a reward. Grog, rum etc. Depended on your rank
Old 17 June 2017, 09:32
Confirmed User

That's cool.
My father-in-law served on the USS Augusta in WWII. He told me the came into port, cleaned and painted for a few weeks with no one allowed off the ship. Next thing they knew President Truman and the Secretary of the Navy were on board and they were flying across the Atlantic at full speed for the Potsdam Conference where Germany surrendered.
Old 17 June 2017, 10:27
Researcher @ Large

Augusta had a long history as a presidential transport. I came across drawings at the National Archives of modifications to a whaleboat for when FDR and his wheelchair needed transport when looking through some of her records looking for camouflage information.
Old 17 June 2017, 16:45
Confirmed User

Splice the mainbrace has a good wikipedia page.
Here is a good excerpt about the US Navy (naturally it was super badass fighting sailor Eugene B. Fluckey) :

"The order "Splice the Mainbrace" was still popular with some of the U.S. Navy's submarine fleet during WWII. On USS Barb, a skipper on combat patrols in WWII, during the boat's 8th and 9th missions in 1944, did in fact announce on the 1MC "Splice the Mainbrace" after each successful attack and sinking of a Japanese ship. On Barb 's 8th combat patrol, the skipper promised the sinking of 5 ships; Barb delivered. After each sinking the Skipper had a special cake made and each sailor was granted a shot of rot gut whiskey. On the 9th patrol, the Skipper was able to sneak 24 cases of beer aboard which was distributed after each of Barb's successful attacks."
Old 20 June 2017, 20:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Augusta had a long history as a presidential transport. I came across drawings at the National Archives of modifications to a whaleboat for when FDR and his wheelchair needed transport when looking through some of her records looking for camouflage information.
Wasn't it FDR that 'confiscated' Al Capone's armored car and modified it for Presidential use?

Our new posting rules