Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 21 March 2017, 14:35
Confirmed User

Haha. Yes, TFG I have seen and used these bells. My KB coach has a bunch of these, as he is a big proponent of Onnit. Surprisingly high-quality bells. Once you start swinging, you forget it has a design on it.

One pood is 16kg. The "standard issue" of KBs in the old school was 1, 1.5 and 2 pood bells. Hence why to this day I most often use the 16, 24 and 32kg bells.

They have also just released an Iron Man bell, which I think is pretty awesome.
Old 21 March 2017, 14:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
In the words of Tim Kennedy. "Work out so you will be the hardest one anyone has ever tried to kill..."
Indeed, Sir.
Thanks for that quote - I haven't seen that one before.
Old 5 April 2017, 19:20
Confirmed User

I have begun training in Silat (martial art) again after about a 7 year hiatus. For the ground/low work in Silat I can so clearly see how valuable the TGU is to those movements. I will be adding more TGUs to my routine - as well as adding variations to the base movement, to build a stronger movement pattern for those types of techniques. It was a great "connect the dots" moment.
Old 3 May 2017, 00:48
Confirmed User

Reporting in after adding additional TGUs to my routine. It is obvious how much it has improved my transitions in Silat from low-high and vice versa. And my ground based movements are much more smooth and powerful.

So - what did I do? Primarily, just lots more TGUs. But I would vary the way I did them. Lighter weights (16kg) and more reps with faster sets. Adding the high hip-bridge, thrusting a leg out (as a kick) where the hip-bridge would be, etc. I would also keep the heavier reps (32kg) with the 5 second pause at each step of the get up. Working wonders for me.

And of course I am still swinging... always swinging...
Old 3 May 2017, 08:55
The Sagacious One

I have been super busy and off the KB's a while. Yesterday was an outside workout in the sun. I tried to get through it quickly, but did all 5 sets of squats, swings, planks and clean and press. (No TGU's nursing an ankle sprain). I am sore today, but it felt good to break a sweat and be outside.
Old 1 June 2017, 19:49
The Sagacious One

For the non-believer among you, I did my 5 sets of 10 goblet squats, 20 swings and 2 TGU's today. Even after a long lay off. It felt good to do some TGU's again.
Old 1 June 2017, 20:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
Reporting in after adding additional TGUs to my routine. It is obvious how much it has improved my transitions in Silat from low-high and vice versa. And my ground based movements are much more smooth and powerful.

So - what did I do? Primarily, just lots more TGUs. But I would vary the way I did them. Lighter weights (16kg) and more reps with faster sets. Adding the high hip-bridge, thrusting a leg out (as a kick) where the hip-bridge would be, etc. I would also keep the heavier reps (32kg) with the 5 second pause at each step of the get up. Working wonders for me.

And of course I am still swinging... always swinging...
I pretty much alternate 2 workouts: swings, or tgu's.

Swings: mostly tabata for 9-12 minutes, but if I'm tired and it's late I'll just do one max rep set, which is 150 right now. My separated shoulder has stabilized enough to where I can do one arm swings, so I'll do 3 sets each side in the middle of the tabata sets. Nine minutes is 254 swings or something (less if one hand).

TGU: I recently started doing solely the high hip bridge method, which is more taxing, so I'll either do 20, slow, alternating each rep and trying not to rest in between. That's pretty rough, and my whole workout for that day. If I'm pressed for time, I'll do it without the high bridge, and do a ladder, 5,4,3,2,1, on each side, for 30, which is fairly quick, and fucks me up.

I try to do one or the other as many nights a week as I can, which is 4-5. It's killing it for cardio, my shoulder feels pretty damn good, and I'm feeling pretty good overall. Back and hamstrings are putting on mass too, haha.

I may buy a new kb soon. I know 32 is the next bump from 28, but I'm stupid and cheap and may do 36 instead. I know 2 handed swings will be fine, and I'm sure tgu's will be barely doable, but I'll grow into it!
Old 1 June 2017, 22:02
The Sagacious One

Something I started doing a week ago was doing 100 swings over the course of a day. Before I start in the office, I do 20, take a break for coffee, another 20 and so on. Pavel recommends this in the S&S book.
Old 1 June 2017, 22:03
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post

Swings: mostly tabata for 9-12 minutes, but if I'm tired and it's late I'll just do one max rep set, which is 150 right now. My separated shoulder has stabilized enough to where I can do one arm swings, so I'll do 3 sets each side in the middle of the tabata sets. Nine minutes is 254 swings or something (less if one hand).

TGU: I recently started doing solely the high hip bridge method, which is more taxing, so I'll either do 20, slow, alternating each rep and trying not to rest in between. That's pretty rough, and my whole workout for that day. If I'm pressed for time, I'll do it without the high bridge, and do a ladder, 5,4,3,2,1, on each side, for 30, which is fairly quick, and fucks me up.

I try to do one or the other as many nights a week as I can, which is 4-5. It's killing it for cardio, my shoulder feels pretty damn good, and I'm feeling pretty good overall. Back and hamstrings are putting on mass too, haha.

I may buy a new kb soon. I know 32 is the next bump from 28, but I'm stupid and cheap and may do 36 instead. I know 2 handed swings will be fine, and I'm sure tgu's will be barely doable, but I'll grow into it!
Seems to me someone else here considered going larger than 32 kg Hmmmmmm. And he got some good advice.
Old 1 June 2017, 23:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Something I started doing a week ago was doing 100 swings over the course of a day. Before I start in the office, I do 20, take a break for coffee, another 20 and so on. Pavel recommends this in the S&S book.
Yeah, there's definitely something to 'frequency'.

Quote:
Seems to me someone else here considered going larger than 32 kg Hmmmmmm. And he got some good advice.
That guy's a fuckin idiot.
Old 2 June 2017, 14:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
TFG, I was doing this for a while. I should start doing it again, especially since I am driving a desk most of the day at work.

Pavel (I think it was him) said that for every hour you spend sitting, you should do at least one minute of swings. This is the "cure" for the "sitting is the new smoking" health issue. I also stretch, but when I was doing them, the swings really did help.

For my recent workouts, I have continued with the kettlebell and parallettes mash-ups - very much like a circuit. I.e. - do a set on the p-bars, do a set of swings. Do another set on p-bars, do two getups, etc. adding in goblet squats, snatches and cleans for the KB segments. It's a real nice variety and a killer workout.
Old 2 June 2017, 14:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post

Sounds to me like you are doing a slightly modified version of S&S

The high-bridge TGU is great when you can do it with full control, and that's quite a routine you have with your TGUs. Nice work!
Old 2 June 2017, 15:36
Confirmed User

S&S with more volume/cardio action, I guess. The high bridge has taken me a while to 'get'. Good stuff.
Old 3 June 2017, 23:20
Confirmed User

Been messing around with KB for a little while now and really like em. Todays workout:
KB swings 45lbs x 300, goblet squat 45lbs x 45, push ups x 45.
Old 4 June 2017, 13:09
Confirmed User

Shoulder ROC (or halos..not sure of the name), KB swings 45lbs and 55lbs x 300, dead hang pull ups x 20, turkish get ups.
Old 8 June 2017, 04:37
Confirmed User

Hey SL&H,

Welcome to the discussion. Question for you, if you don't mind...
How do break down your swings in terms of sets/reps? And do you do the "hardstyle" swing, or "American" (aka CrossFit swing -
i.e. bring the bell all the way above the head) swing?
Old 8 June 2017, 18:33
Confirmed User

Typically its a combo of 15 and 30 rep sets on the swing. I dont know what crossfit swing or hardstyle is frankly. I just try really hard to get a good hip hing and not to squat with the bell. Rule of thumb is to keep the bell from dipping below the knee, from what Im told?
It seems really easy to allow the form to get sloppy and then have too much shearing force on the low back, etc....so, I try to get the rep range "managable" yet intense, if that makes sense.
Old 8 June 2017, 18:58
0311/8651

So if you try to do too much, too fast, it gets sloppy and bad things happen
Knee surgery back in April. I'm doing my own therapy, start Tuesday on my doc's suggestion.not walking like I should.,still sticking with bodyweight, hitting the heavy bags a little weights
Taking steroids for the next week

Last edited by CAP MARINE; 8 June 2017 at 18:59. Reason: F
Old 10 June 2017, 00:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowloud&harmless View Post
Typically its a combo of 15 and 30 rep sets on the swing. I dont know what crossfit swing or hardstyle is frankly. I just try really hard to get a good hip hing and not to squat with the bell. Rule of thumb is to keep the bell from dipping below the knee, from what Im told?
It seems really easy to allow the form to get sloppy and then have too much shearing force on the low back, etc....so, I try to get the rep range "managable" yet intense, if that makes sense.
Thanks.
The crossfit swing is when you bring the bell all the way above your head, so it's vertical. The hardstyle is when the bell only comes to about chest height.

Either version should be a true hip hinge as you say. And the bell doesn't go below the knee on the downward swing. There are other details that have been discussed in this thread that I won't repeat.

I, personally, like your allocation of reps with swings, since I am always focusing on quality vs. quantity.
Old 19 June 2017, 13:43
Confirmed User

Did another KB and parallettes bar (P-Bar) hybrid workout.

Following the P1 program from GMB (mostly) - as referenced by chokeu2 in the other thread - and doing swings and TGUs in between the P-Bar sets. I make sure that I don't follow TGUs after a challenging shoulder press exercise on the bars.

After those sets are done, I added in some goblet squats and single-leg deadlifts with the KBs to hit the lower body. Awesome session - struck just the right balance between smoked and energized.

Our new posting rules