SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment

Old 14 February 2002, 12:03
JOE L.
Visitor

Some general answers... ;-)

Nice to see someone who likes OFP as well...

I also had some questions about the DAP (I think it means: Defensive Armored Penetrator, but even this will be kept in secret on this board :D ), because i wanted to build one as a 1/72 model. The best answer i can give you is:

Do your details as you want to, because there will be no one (or even just a few) who will recognize wrong details. I know, this is a really bad answer, but in this particular case you can`t discuss with the members of this board.

How will your DAP be armed? Unfortunately the standard-OFP-Helo-models have only one doorgunner-position, a good DAP needs 4 (two M134 Mini-guns and two M2 .50 cal).
It would be really nice if you could equip your DAP with 2 M230 30mm cannons (like those on the Bradley) under the stubwings.

Tell me if your DAP is finished, i would like to testfly it.... :)

JOE
Old 14 February 2002, 12:24
Hell on Wheels

The M2 IFV, M2A1, M2A2 and later variants are not--and never were--equipped with the M230 30mm cannon, sport. Go check out Jane's at your local library.
Old 15 February 2002, 08:48
JOE L.
Visitor

Ooops....

...my fault, you`re right.

The M230 is the Apache-Gun, Bradley have "only" 25mm.

But anyway, some DAPs are equipped with the M230... (and I surely will NOT violating OPSEC by asking how they got their ammo...:D )

JOE
Old 16 February 2002, 12:06
Doc
Visitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
The M2 IFV, M2A1, M2A2 and later variants are not--and never were--equipped with the M230 30mm cannon, sport. Go check out Jane's at your local library.
Damn he's good!

Again.
Old 18 February 2002, 23:42
Hell on Wheels

You'd be good too, Doc, if you had to haul that big MF (M242 Bushmaster 25mm) in and out of a turret all the damn time. Hell, I know I can't even pronounce some of the crap on your hand receipt, let alone identify it!
Old 19 February 2002, 00:11
para325air
Visitor

Razor,

Your gonna tell me you where hauling that bitch in and out of the turret all the time and not your gunner? My BC told me he didn't want to know shit about the vehicle. It was the drivers job to know the hual and my job to know the turret. All he ever did was stand in the hatch and give directions. But then again, he was a prick too. The only man I ever came close to....oh, nevermind. With all the LEO's around here and an open forum, that might get me into trouble.
Old 19 February 2002, 00:23
Confirmed User

That's all right, Para...

Timothy McVeigh's MOS was 11M too! :D
Old 19 February 2002, 00:38
para325air
Visitor

Re: That's all right, Para...

Quote:
Originally posted by William M Salter
Timothy McVeigh's MOS was 11M too! :D
LMAO.....Fuck You too :D But I will say I was 11B primary, 11M secondary
Old 19 February 2002, 00:55
Confirmed User

As the Banjos Play....

(Ned Beatty voice) "unh... WEE-EE-EE-EE-EE-EE-EE-EE-EE-EE-EE-EE-EE-EE !!!!!!"
Old 20 February 2002, 21:26
Arrogant Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
You'd be good too, Doc, if you had to haul that big MF (M242 Bushmaster 25mm) in and out of a turret all the damn time. Hell, I know I can't even pronounce some of the crap on your hand receipt, let alone identify it!
BGST sucks big time! Damn barrel on that thing is about 100Lbs alone if I remember correctly, as well as ripping apart the reciever and the bolt and track. Trying to get these monkey paws back up in there to attach the feed trays. Hanging the ready boxes with ammo that weighs a shit load itself. But then again that all beats riding around the NTC in a beat up old POS M551 ARAAV.

But BOYS lemme tell you when you get down range to BTVIII and beyond and start lighting up those targets with the M242, Holy Freaking Crap is all I can say. TOW live fire isn't all that bad either, but to damned expensive to let everyone fire a few rounds.
Old 21 February 2002, 19:44
Hell on Wheels

Ugh, thanks for reminding me about reattaching feed chutes. Better hope those spring latches are damn near new! Para, I had two J3s in my first platoon (PSG and a SL BC), so I didn't have much choice in becoming intimately familiar with the vehicle, especially the turret.
Old 21 February 2002, 20:36
Confirmed User

Seems to me that on nearly every gun-equipped AFV some poor gunners have to haul the gun in and out of the turret. My uncle had been a gunner on a Marder APC and did so too.

Fortunately my vehicles gun was too big to haul (105 mm rules :D )....

JOE

Our new posting rules