SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 27 August 2008, 16:09
In From The East

GBU-54

Looks like a good trick to have in the bag.....

8/27/2008 - JOINT BASE BALAD, Iraq (AFPN) -- Airmen employed a guided bomb unit-54 laser joint directed attack munition Aug. 12 against a moving enemy vehicle in the Diyala province to support a combined Iraqi army and U.S. Marine operation.

The GBU-54 is the Air Force's newest 500-pound precision weapon, equipped with a special targeting system that uses a combination of Global Positioning System and laser guidance to accurately engage and destroy moving targets.

F-16 Fighting Falcons from the 77th Expeditionary Fighter Squadron deployed the munitions.

"This employment first represents a great step in our Air Force's ability to deliver precise effects across the spectrum of combat," said Lt. Gen. Gary L. North, the U.S. Air Forces Central commander and U.S. Central Commands Combined Force Air Component commander. "The first combat employment of this weapon is the validation of the exacting hard work of an entire team of professionals who developed, tested and fielded this weapon on an extremely short timeline, based on an urgent needs request we established in the combat zone."

Identified as an urgent operational need in early 2007, the Air Force completed the GBU-54's development and testing cycle in less than 17 months, fielding it aboard 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing aircraft in May.

"We have consistently used precision-guided weapons to engage stationary threats with superb combat effects," said Brig. Gen. Brian T. Bishop, the 332nd AEW commander. "This weapon allows our combat pilots to engage a broad range of moving targets with dramatically increased capabilities and it increases our ability to strike the enemy throughout a much, much broader engagement envelope."

Teamwork in all aspects from development to the actual weapon employment was crucial.

"Teamwork was the name of the game to accomplish this," General North said. "From the experts in our Air Force Materiel Command who shaped our requirements, then developed, tested and fielded the weapon, to our aircraft maintainers, our munitions Airmen, and weapons loaders ... and everyone in between ... they made the operational employment of this weapon possible.

"At end game, on Aug. 12, the team of the joint terminal attack controller, alongside his ground unit commander in this event, ensured all criteria were met for the first combat delivery of the (laser joint directed attack munition). And finally, our F-16 pilot accurately and precisely delivered and guided the weapon to desired weapons effects, the disabling and destruction of an enemy vehicle and personnel," General North said.
Old 27 August 2008, 22:12
Marine

I've seen a vid of a Harrier lasing a car moving at around 45mph for a Maverick. Tricky stuff, especially when you consider that the Harrier is a single seater, so the pilot was driving the plane and tracking the target.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3
Old 28 August 2008, 13:49
Been There Done That

High on the list of any pilot that has used a laser to target moving objects has always been an Image Auto Tracker that stays locked and discriminates well...

All the improvement in optics, lasers, beam divergence, etc. are dwarfed by the improvements in IAT technologies that have been made in the last decade.

Good job here all around. BZ to all involved!
Old 30 August 2008, 22:10
Former thousand-aire

Question

Air Force Airmen cleared that drop on a USMC operation? Anyone have better vis on that and where the USMC JTAC was?
Old 31 August 2008, 07:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_ANGLICO View Post
Air Force Airmen cleared that drop on a USMC operation? Anyone have better vis on that and where the USMC JTAC was?
Nowhere does it say that an Air Force JTAC or TACP cleared that drop. Re-read the press release, especially the last paragraph. It does say that Airmen "employed" a guided bomb, meaning the aircrew.
Old 31 August 2008, 22:39
Former thousand-aire

SATCOM - Now reading it "lickin-chicken". Premature jump to a conclusion on my part, thanks for the re-direction. I would still be interested if anyone, "wink" Slab, has any more information on this control. It may come in handy within the next month or 7.
Old 1 September 2008, 09:30
Marine

Sorry brother, I'm officially out of the loop. I picked up my orders and OQR on Thursday, and the movers are coming tomorrow.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3
Old 1 September 2008, 17:05
Former thousand-aire

Slab - sorry to hear that brother, it is a loss to the community with you leaving it. Good luck in your next assignment and keep in touch.
Old 29 December 2008, 22:49

The JTAC on the ground was my team leader, a Marine, during a tour with 1st ANGLICO. We were ISO the 1st Iraqi Army QRF and its MiTT. Busy tour to say the least.
Old 31 December 2008, 04:35
Former thousand-aire

0629 - I relieved 1st over here in Sept and initially went up north to RIP one of your teams in Hawas and would be curious if you guys have an AAR on that somewhere "SIPR'ish" I could look up. Thanks.
Old 2 January 2009, 21:18
Marine

OB, good to hear you're still kicking, sorry to hear they sentenced you to Hawas. I was at OP Vikings for a few months, but we did an op with the IA to cordon and search the 3 cities in September of 07, before Hawas was built. That's desolate country up there. Last I heard Hawas was pretty rough living, too. Hope you guys are finding some sort of gainful employment, although I'm sure it's tough to come by.

ANGLICO_0629, welcome. Glad you guys are home safe. I'm guessing that "Long Beach" in your profile means you're with 3rd. If you see him around, tell Capt Karsten that Slab says hi.

Old 3 January 2009, 05:45
Former thousand-aire

SLAB,

Great to hear from you, Sir. Things here have been interesting to say the least, Each day it is something new with the ever changing environment, we are ever changing also. No longer at Hawas, thank God. It is remote to say the least. Basically doing the tour of the AO this time. Habbiniyah, TQ and AA, you name it. Unfortunately, spending far too much time by the flagpole. I dont know if you knew him, but one of the FCT Leaders from my platoon and one of my classmates from TACP was killed over here 2 days before Thanksgiving. Real shitty situation, on a mission assisting someone out with a humanitarian effort. It is a loss of a good man, he left behind a young family. I did however get to become one of the first ANGLICO Marines to ever get some jumps out here and did a couple of them from an Osprey no less. Just to clairy, it was NOT a combat jump, just a jump in a combat zone. Some others would lead people to believe otherwise, and that to me is BS. I have gotten about 10 drops out here so far, all in training though, not much call for it here otherwise. Just hoping to get back now and get into my dwell time so I can ramp back up for a deployment to A-Stan where the fight is for our unit. This sitting around is frustrating the shit out of me and my team guys. 1st Recon has been nice enough to adopt my team though so we have stuff to do while we are sitting here. Hoping to incorporate a jump and JTACEX in the future. Anwyay, stay safe, and keep in touch. S/F

OB
Old 12 May 2010, 08:26

That's my unit! (I'm a bomb loader too)
Old 21 May 2010, 19:41
I am into Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
High on the list of any pilot that has used a laser to target moving objects has always been an Image Auto Tracker that stays locked and discriminates well...
Yes, until the genetic scientists can give us chameleon eyes.

Regards,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.

Our new posting rules