SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 August 2018, 10:08
I've got a gun too, mf'er

NHL 2018–19

The new season is almost upon us. Time for your Defending Stanely Cup Champion Washington Capitals to begin their Cup defense.
back-to-back, back-to-back

Caps brought back all of their starters except Beagle (who the fans will certainly miss; the team will miss his work ethic and faceoff prowess, but he is replacable). And, of course, Trotz; but I think the transition to Rierden will be pretty seamless.

Ovi and others appear to be working just as hard as they are partying this offseason (which is hard).

It is tough to repeat, but they are starting off right. A lot of guys had "career years" last season, and at least some of them will need to replicate that type of performance this season. But most of them are yooung enough that their careers are still trending up, so there's a chance that happens.

Expect Kuznetsov to have a monster season. I would buy his jersey if I hadn't had to spend the price of a game-worn jersey per ticket for 400-level seats to the home opener to see the banner raised.

Still pissed the League made the home opener against Boston, with a back-to-back in Pittsburgh for their home opener. screw you, Bettman!

Let's drop the puck!
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 16 August 2018, 10:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
Still pissed the League made the home opener against Boston, with a back-to-back in Pittsburgh for their home opener. screw you, Bettman!

Let's drop the puck!
Yea I don't get that, thought for sure the opener here would be against the PENS to make them watch the banner.

Will be interesting to see how Vegas does this season.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 16 August 2018, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Yea I don't get that, thought for sure the opener here would be against the PENS to make them watch the banner.

Will be interesting to see how Vegas does this season.
I think there will be a drop off. Vegas should be a playoff team, but probaby not a division winner. If they make the playoffs, then a lot depends on Fluery.

We're going to go out there and catch a game (against the Peg) in February, which should be fun.
- Bootsy Collins
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 16 August 2018, 14:52
Confirmed User

A couple of years ago my wife didn’t even know what a hockey puck was. This morning she asks me out of the blue “when does the season start, I’m ready to watch hockey?”
Old 16 August 2018, 21:32
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

This is going to be one of those bridge years for the Hawks, aging core players and a lot of younger players that are still finding their feet in the NHL.

If they have as dismal a season this year as they did last year, I think both Bowman and Quenneville will be gone.
Old 17 August 2018, 09:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
This is going to be one of those bridge years for the Hawks, aging core players and a lot of younger players that are still finding their feet in the NHL.

If they have as dismal a season this year as they did last year, I think both Bowman and Quenneville will be gone.
Is Hossa coming back or is he done?

One nut in the ground!

Old 17 August 2018, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Is Hossa coming back or is he done?
He was traded to Phoenix in one of those crazy moves to get money off the books and create some cap space. I don't think he will play again, even for the Coyotes, they only took him as part of a package deal that included Vinnie Hinastroza, who I really liked. Him and Ryan Hartman both grew up playing hockey together in the Chicago area and now they're both gone.

I think Hoss said something to the effect that he is retiring, but he is still under contract even though he has been carried on long term injured reserve. I have a feeling that the ailment he suffers from will come back with a vengeance if he tries to play hockey again, I guess he was really having a hard time with the breakout of rashes and hives related to wearing his equipment.

It's a shame, probably the best player overall for the Hawks over all 3 Cup runs, and he played at a high level even when he was pushing 40. When the time comes, he'll return to Chicago and retire as a Blackhawk.
Old 17 August 2018, 12:56
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
A couple of years ago my wife didn’t even know what a hockey puck was. This morning she asks me out of the blue “when does the season start, I’m ready to watch hockey?”
She a Preds fan? That sounds like a familiar story with the team lately.
Old 17 August 2018, 14:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
She a Preds fan? That sounds like a familiar story with the team lately.
I got her into watching hockey when we started dating but the last two seasons have certainly peaked her interest.
Old 5 September 2018, 11:23
Been There Done That

Two weeks and counting before I get to watch sports again.

One nut in the ground!

Old 6 September 2018, 00:26

Quote:
I think there will be a drop off. Vegas should be a playoff team, but probaby not a division winner. If they make the playoffs, then a lot depends on Fluery.

We're going to go out there and catch a game (against the Peg) in February, which should be fun.
Got tickets, we're actually going to see VGK play the Bruins. Expensive as hell (although not as much as I paid to see the Caps raise the banner against the Bruins, those were late round playoff prices).
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 11 October 2018, 08:55

Well, the banner raising and subsequent 7-0 beatdown of BOS was probably the most fun I've ever had at a regular season game.
Schedule makers really screwed the Caps to start this season ... back-to-back home-and-away to start the season, 6 days off, and then back-to-back home-and-away again. That's a tough schedule.
They looked great again against Vegas last night, though. Really playing loose and having fun.
Maybe the league scheduled all these back-to-backs after Oshie started "back-to-back" as a chant.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 11 October 2018, 11:11
Confirmed User

Well my Flyers look like shit so far, drummed 8-2 in their home opener on Tuesday.
Old 11 October 2018, 13:06
Confirmed User

Big game tonight in Smashville vs Winnipeg. The Flames ruined our banner raising, home opener the other night. But when their goalie is playing lights out, not much you can do.
Old 11 October 2018, 13:10
Confirmed User

I follow NHL peripherally until, I don't know, March? April? Four games down, a billion to go. That said, I like how the Hurricanes have responded out of the gate. A lot of excitement in Raleigh.
Old 11 October 2018, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
Big game tonight in Smashville vs Winnipeg. The Flames ruined our banner raising, home opener the other night. But when their goalie is playing lights out, not much you can do.
Take a Caps' fan's advice ... do not raise banners for winning the regular season.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 11 October 2018, 15:41

Hawks start the season with 3 OT games, 2 of them wins.

Including the Blues in St. Louis. Always nice to beat the Blues, especially on their home ice. Next up is the Wild tonight, which should be a good test of where they stand this early in the season. Most so called experts have Hawks out of playoff contention again this year.

We shall see.
Old 11 October 2018, 19:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Take a Caps' fan's advice ... do not raise banners for winning the regular season.
Yeah, no shit. At least you guys have the Cup now.
Old 11 October 2018, 22:54
Confirmed User

Preds and Jets are turning into quite the rivalry. That was playoff atmosphere hockey tonight with several fights and lots of attitude. Preds suck on the power play, going 0-9 tonight with two 5 on 3s. Fortunately, Peka was in the zone and posted the shutout.

And just for you Spinner, Hartman had a goal and assist . He only has a one-year deal, so he needs a big year.
Old 12 October 2018, 17:15

I like Hartman's play, it's just that he takes the dumbest penalties at points in games when they really hurt the team, not that penalties at other points in a game don't.

If he's playing for a contract he should just keep doing what he does, it's gotten him this far. If he can produce goals and assists in high enough numbers it may be enough to offset the time he spends in the box.

I really wouldn't mind the Hawks getting him back, penalties and all. Vinnie Hinostroza too, although I'm pretty sure he signed a longer term deal with the Coyotes. Hartman and Hinostroza grew up playing hockey and football together in the Chicago area.

As for the Hawks, they played their 4th straight OT game to start the season, a 4-3 loss to the Wild. Cam Ward played great, but what killed the Hawks was a Wild goal with :03 left in the 2nd period, and then were able to score what amounted to a shorthanded goal with about :23 left in the game.

All in all a good outing, but for the final score. At least the Hawks gained a point, but I really would like to see them get a win in regulation. I'm wondering what the team and NHL record is for consecutive OT games to start a season. I can't remember this many OTs at the start.

Our new posting rules