SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 4 February 2019, 21:34
Authorized Personnel

Genghis Khan - His Conquests, His Empire, His Legacy

Picked this up after a 10 day vacation in Mongolia. Very detailed history of the life and times of GK. Author goes to great lengths explaining the methodology of the Mongols and the historical context of the empire.

GK was a skilled strategist who rewarded success on the battlefield and ruled based on a meritocracy. While ruthless, he had profound understanding of what Clausewitz would write about 500 years later. GK let his generals fight the campaign while he planned future conquests. With a sophisticated intel system, superior communications, and mobility w/speed, he massed troops at the critical time/place for decisive victories.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in the period or strategic studies.
Old 4 February 2019, 22:43
Confirmed User

That hardcore History guy did a deep dive on the Mongols. It was pretty eye opening. The most interesting thing I found was he said at the end the sons in charge didn't have the same drive that GK and his initial entourage had, as they grew up in silks with full bellies not furs and meager rations. The other stat that stuck with me was the percentage of folks that can trace their linage back to GK, due to his raping and pillaging.
Old 4 February 2019, 23:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
That hardcore History guy did a deep dive on the Mongols. It was pretty eye opening. The most interesting thing I found was he said at the end the sons in charge didn't have the same drive that GK and his initial entourage had, as they grew up in silks with full bellies not furs and meager rations. The other stat that stuck with me was the percentage of folks that can trace their linage back to GK, due to his raping and pillaging.
True but maybe it skipped a generation w/Kublai. ChiComms are still pissed at him for conquering China and founding the Yaun dynasty.

GK is estimated to have sired 1,000 to 2,000 offspring. 0.5% of the male population of the world (16 million)
Old 6 February 2019, 08:09
Been There Done That

If he would have just pushed further into Europe, or gone west instead of east, crazy to think how that would have changed the world.

I think we'd be teaching chinese in schools instead of spanish.
He really fucked the chinese out of a lot of wealth, people and assets. I wonder how much he set back their progress.
Definitely going to grab that book.
Old 6 February 2019, 10:08
Confirmed User

I just put it on hold at the library. I'm looking forward to this. Thanks for teh recommendation.
Old 6 February 2019, 19:06
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
The most interesting thing I found was he said at the end the sons in charge didn't have the same drive that GK and his initial entourage had, as they grew up in silks with full bellies not furs and meager rations.
Soft times make for soft men.
Old 7 February 2019, 02:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
That hardcore History guy did a deep dive on the Mongols.
Dan Carlin’s Harcore History.

He does deep dives on all his topics, and they’re worth listening to.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 7 February 2019, 03:44
Authorized Personnel

Happy to mail the book to someone w/the caveats that you pay it forward in some way and make a donation to the site.

It will end up in the local prison library otherwise.
Old 7 February 2019, 09:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Soft times make for soft men.
Maybe more relevant than ever considering the state of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post

He does deep dives on all his topics, and they’re worth listening to.
The WW1 one is great too
Old 7 February 2019, 09:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
Damn you. I never knew about this and now I'm sliding down the rabbit hole.
Old 11 February 2019, 14:47
All Star Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
If he would have just pushed further into Europe, or gone west instead of east, crazy to think how that would have changed the world.

I think we'd be teaching chinese in schools instead of spanish.
He really fucked the chinese out of a lot of wealth, people and assets. I wonder how much he set back their progress.
Definitely going to grab that book.
I would argue he did change the world. His, and his descendants, reopened the Silk Road, connecting Asia to the middle east and Europe. He protected that road, by using patrol stations and trading outposts and offered protection to merchants. That in itself is significant for developing trade networks.

As for speaking Chinese vs. Spanish, that's a really good question to debate. At the time, the Europeans were struggling to come out of the middle ages and were on the very verge of that happening. Perhaps the plague, which originated in China and was carried on trading ships and over the Silk Road, pushed the Europeans over the edge in regards to their own learning and technological limitations.

I hope what I'm alluding to makes sense. I teach AP World History and one thing we spend a significant amount of time on is the influence of trade routes and the Mongols. You can't mention one without the other.
Old 11 February 2019, 15:32
Confirmed User

Makes sense looking at the timelines. I think it is pretty well established that there is a causal relationship between all 3.

Genghis Kahn made it as far west as Georgia and Armenia in the 1220s. If that reopened the Silk Road, it laid the opening for the Black Death to make it to Europe 100 years later. It was another 100 years for Europe to recover and start building its economies and cultures.
Old 11 February 2019, 16:36
Old and Grumpy

I've read a number of books on the Mongols. I've always had an interest in tribal societies. I would recommend four which I have in my library.
"The Mongols" by David Morgan is a good overview.
"How the Barbarian Invasions shaped the Modern World" Discusses the Vikings, Vandals, Huns, Mongols, Goths and Tartars."
"Tamerlane" Successor to Genghis Khan
"Khubilai Khan" his life and times.

Here's one for Armitage - "The Silk Roads" by Peter Frankopan - Discusses the history of the Silk Road and and how it affects us. Today with China's Belt and Road initiative this is an important read.

Last edited by Oldpogue; 11 February 2019 at 16:41.
Old 12 February 2019, 19:05

This is historical fiction, but if anyone is interested, I can highly recommend this series of books: https://www.amazon.com/Genghis-Birth...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It's a series of four books, and the first three are about Genghis, from birth to death. I thought they were fantasic.
Old 14 February 2019, 09:49
Confirmed User

I may pick up this book. I reading list is always long.

I have a book called "Genghis Kahn Emperor of All Men" written by Harold Lamb, published in 1927. Awesome book.
Old 18 February 2019, 17:36
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSRonin View Post
Happy to mail the book to someone w/the caveats that you pay it forward in some way and make a donation to the site.

I'll take you up on that offer, and will offer the same after I read it.

While true:
Continue
Old 18 February 2019, 17:39
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojok View Post
This is historical fiction, but if anyone is interested, I can highly recommend this series of books: https://www.amazon.com/Genghis-Birth...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

It's a series of four books, and the first three are about Genghis, from birth to death. I thought they were fantasic.
Just picked up the first one for Kindle; thanks for the recommendation. I've read a couple of Iggulden's other books, and he's an amazing historical fiction author.

While true:
Continue
Old 18 February 2019, 22:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Just picked up the first one for Kindle; thanks for the recommendation. I've read a couple of Iggulden's other books, and he's an amazing historical fiction author.
For those eligible, Army MWR overdrive has the ebook of all four books as a bundle. I'm into the second one, and they are pretty good. Approaching Cornwell's Sharpe and Last Kingdom series, IMO.
Old 14 July 2019, 18:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
I've read a number of books on the Mongols. I've always had an interest in tribal societies. I would recommend four which I have in my library.
"The Mongols" by David Morgan is a good overview.
"How the Barbarian Invasions shaped the Modern World" Discusses the Vikings, Vandals, Huns, Mongols, Goths and Tartars."
"Tamerlane" Successor to Genghis Khan
"Khubilai Khan" his life and times.

Here's one for Armitage - "The Silk Roads" by Peter Frankopan - Discusses the history of the Silk Road and and how it affects us. Today with China's Belt and Road initiative this is an important read.
I've read Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World (2004) by Jack Weatherford. It was a fascinating read.
Old 15 July 2019, 11:04
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSRonin View Post

Got this one in a couple days ago. When I'm done, I'll pass it along to whoever wants it next :-D

While true:
Continue

Our new posting rules