SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 24 April 2019, 09:54
Aww F**K it

Galaxy's Edge Legionnaire by Jason Anspach and Nick Cole.
Pretty damn good I thought. I just picked up the second book Galactic Outlaws

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...axysedgeweb-20

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 30 April 2019, 19:55
0311/8651

Chosin- reserve Marines and ones that didn’t officially graduate from boot camp but did many years laterally
Old 1 May 2019, 08:04
All Star Benchwarmer

I finished my book on the Ardennes offensive last night and picked up William Manchesters' "Goodbye Darkness" about his experience in the PTO during WWII as a Marine. It's an older book, first published in 1979, but my dad gave it to me years ago and I thought I'd give it a read while I'm still on my WWII kick.
Old 2 May 2019, 10:34
Voodoo guru

Thanks to ole Arcangel Ranger, and my MBA program, I'm reading an absolutely stellar book on Leadership:

Leadership in the Balance, The Fulcrum Centric Plan for Emerging and High Potential Leaders, by Mike Lerario.

It's not just some dry ass book with someone preaching about how good of a leader he is.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 15 May 2019, 19:13
In From The East

Bravo Two Zero...
Old 18 May 2019, 08:46
All Star Benchwarmer

Goodbye Darkness just couldn't keep my interest. Not enough history, but more of a first person account of him revisiting an old battlefield and telling the reader what he was seeing right then. Those stories were interspersed with bits of history.

Anyhow, I picked up "What we Knew" by Eric Johnson. It's a very deep, oral history of the Holocaust from concentration camp Jews, escaped Jews, German civilians, and German military personal. Needless to say, it's heartbreaking.

My kids at school asked to watch the movie "Boy in the Striped Pajamas" after they finished their AP exam. I told them no. Just too much at the moment I suppose.
Old 19 May 2019, 10:54
Sound off for equipment check!

“The Unknowns”

Mods, please delete. Posted as book review....
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes

Last edited by Longrifle; 19 May 2019 at 11:00.
Old 20 May 2019, 09:49
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
Bravo Two Zero...
good book
Old 22 May 2019, 03:36
Confirmed User

Sub Zero by John T Campbell

North Koreans "attack" Kwajalein Atoll to gather Space and Missile info so they can use it for their own use and the folks there fight back from what the synopsis says.
Old 22 May 2019, 10:15
Going cyclic!!

The Last Frontier by Alistair McLean. Also printed as The Secret Ways. Great cold war spy novel, IMHO
Old 22 May 2019, 13:30
Confirmed User

Sword and Scimitar; written by Raymond Ibrahim, an American raised by Egyptian parents. It covers the 14 centuries of war between Islam and the West. It is labeled as military history but, as the author asserts, you cannot properly discuss the military side of this history without understanding the roots of Islam. I am on chapter 3 and I have learned a great deal about a topic which I thought I was well-read. Highly recommended. I will likely post a book report on this one when I have finished the whole book.
Old 24 May 2019, 06:23
Confronting the Reckoning

Robert Graves, Claudius the God. If you remember the old I Claudius BBC series on the first emperors, this was the sequel. Spoiler: Claudius's wife (fourth wife) poisons him so her son Nero can become emperor.
Old 24 May 2019, 08:55
Been There Done That

Great show back in the day...Claudius played the fool and gained Rome's power, Augustus saw this in him, but alas, Lida poisoned every fig on the tree and Tiberius took the throne. I think Tiberius was far worse than Caligula (Little Boots).
Old 26 May 2019, 07:09

Couple of worthy books in the recent rotation.

Based on a rec from bird2778, got a copy of Riding Man, about a former semi-pro turned cubicle guy who takes a year to train for and run the IoM TT. Less about the adrenaline, more about the labor and logistics and community and institutional memory of the race and racers.

Book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/949398.Riding_Man
Vibe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxFliqEK6wg

And In the Heart of the Sea, about the Nantucket ship Essex, deliberately rammed and sunk by a huge whale in 1819, and the survival travails of the crew. Three months living afloat in small whaleboats, poor decision-making due to inherent prejudices, cannibalism, physiology of starvation.
Melville's contact with the captain inspired Moby Dick.

https://www.amazon.com/Heart-Sea-Tra.../dp/0141001828

DaveP
Old 1 June 2019, 09:56
Authorized Personnel

Billion Dollar Whale - The man who fooled Wall Street, Hollywood, and the world.

Story of the multi-billion dollar fraud by Jho Low and the Malaysian sovereign wealth fund known as 1MDB. Very well researched and documented. Former Malaysian PM Najib Razak is currently on trial. Jho Low's location is unknown. It was shocking to read what these guys got away with while others knowing looked the other way.
Old 2 June 2019, 07:18
Red Headed Stepchild

The Places in Between, Rory Stewart.
Old 3 June 2019, 13:13
Aww F**K it

The subtle art of brutality by Ryan Sayles

he girl has gone missing. Again. But this time people are trying to kill her. Trying to burn down everything she has touched or left behind. The girl’s surrogate father feels responsible and to assuage his guilt, he hires Richard Dean Buckner, former Saint Ansgar homicide detective turned private eye to ferret her out.

Buckner was doing fine as a bare-knuckles detective for the PD until he was rendered “unserviceable” by a hit attempt. Early retirement doesn’t sit well with that type of man, half predator and half savior.

He takes the case, and from two ex-boyfriends who ruined their lives for the girl, her rapist dad, drug dealers she burned for thousands, an uncomfortable meeting at the local Incest Survivors group to whoever is setting fire to her life, Buckner is going to need all his guts, instinct and .44 Magnum to finish the job.

Because in Saint Ansgar, what doesn’t kill you only makes you wish it did.

https://www.amazon.com/Subtle-Brutal...-search&sr=8-1

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 6 June 2019, 10:28
Confirmed User

I just started No Shortcuts to the Top by Ed Viesturs, the only American to climb all 14 of the world's 8-thousander mountain peaks.

Pretty interesting so far, as someone who has been interested in Everest and climbing for a while.
Old 6 June 2019, 10:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSRonin View Post
Billion Dollar Whale - The man who fooled Wall Street, Hollywood, and the world.

Story of the multi-billion dollar fraud by Jho Low and the Malaysian sovereign wealth fund known as 1MDB. Very well researched and documented. Former Malaysian PM Najib Razak is currently on trial. Jho Low's location is unknown. It was shocking to read what these guys got away with while others knowing looked the other way.
I have this on my Kindle. I think it will be my next read.
Old 10 June 2019, 21:55
All Star Benchwarmer

I'm taking a book or two break from history and am currently reading Dan Brown's "Inferno."

I'm not into the conspiracy theory thing, but like the easy way he writes.

Our new posting rules