SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 12 June 2019, 03:58

Currently reading Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators and Assassins by Annie Jacobson.

Many interviews with Billy Waugh provide much of the body of this book. I am finding it to be quite average and the writing style is plodding in spots.

Next up is Guardian: Life in the Crosshairs of the CIA's War on Terror by Tom Pecora, about a guy assigned to provide security for CIA operations overseas. I've just skimmed through it, but it looks pretty good.

On deck is Masters of Mayhem: Lawrence of Arabia and the British Military Mission to the Hejaz by Jane Stejskal. I've always been really interested in that part of World War I.
Old 13 June 2019, 11:26
Old Scroll

Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison. This book was the basis for Soylent Green.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gotta say that the book is NOTHING like the movie. They are completely different, but then again, how often is that the case between books and their movies?

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 15 June 2019, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8822 View Post
Currently reading Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators and Assassins by Annie Jacobson.

Many interviews with Billy Waugh provide much of the body of this book. I am finding it to be quite average and the writing style is plodding in spots.

Next up is Guardian: Life in the Crosshairs of the CIA's War on Terror by Tom Pecora, about a guy assigned to provide security for CIA operations overseas. I've just skimmed through it, but it looks pretty good.

On deck is Masters of Mayhem: Lawrence of Arabia and the British Military Mission to the Hejaz by Jane Stejskal. I've always been really interested in that part of World War I.

I just started annie jacobsen's book as well. It is badass to say the least.

The book "the subtle art of not giving a fuck" is one of my favorite books to get back on track, and i just got his new book "everything is fucked" that I'm looking forward to reading as well.
Old 15 June 2019, 13:50
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post

...The book "the subtle art of not giving a fuck" is one of my favorite books to get back on track, and i just got his new book "everything is fucked" that I'm looking forward to reading as well.
Great books. Mark Manson is an interesting guy...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 18 June 2019, 12:59
Freelancer

Old issues of Gung-Ho magazine.
Old 19 June 2019, 12:35
Confirmed User

A Dance With Death: An Irish Soldier of Fortune at the Little Bighorn by Lance Dorrel.

LD and i grew up together and I didn't realize he had it in him to come up with something like this. Very proud of him for doing this and actually doing a good job at writing it.

Very good historical novel based on an Irish Solider that rode with Custer at Little Big Horn.

Currently free on Kindle or 13 bucks for the softback.
Old 20 June 2019, 13:19
Jane-of-All-Trades

Bears Want To Kill You: The Authoritative Guide to Survival in the War Between Man and Bear.

Informative. Stupid-funny.
Old 20 June 2019, 19:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSSRonin View Post
Billion Dollar Whale - The man who fooled Wall Street, Hollywood, and the world.

Story of the multi-billion dollar fraud by Jho Low and the Malaysian sovereign wealth fund known as 1MDB. Very well researched and documented. Former Malaysian PM Najib Razak is currently on trial. Jho Low's location is unknown. It was shocking to read what these guys got away with while others knowing looked the other way.
Read it a couple of months ago. The story is almost unimaginable in how it unfolds but it all checks out. Guessing Jho Low is either sitting in a desert dungeon to be tortured every single day for the rest of his life or already recycled by crabs.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 20 June 2019, 19:14
Been There Done That

Just finished “Can’t Hurt Me” by David Goggins. Very good book and if you do the audio version it’s like a book meets podcast. 8.5/10

Also finished “Rise of the Robots” by Martin Ford. Interesting take on the evolution of technology and what it will potentially do to humans. 7/10

Currently reading Yvon Chouinard’s book “Let my people surf”. So far it’s been pretty interesting to see him explain his philosophy.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 20 June 2019, 20:03
Policeman Officer

Just finished "Musashi", now on to "1942".
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 22 June 2019, 11:16
Authorized Personnel

"Texas Ranger: The Epic Life of Frank Hamer" by John Boessenecker.
Old 5 July 2019, 13:24
Freelancer

Heart of Darkness Joseph Conrad.
Old 6 July 2019, 05:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
^^
Bleak, but the language is so good (amazing considering he acquired English in his 20s?).
When I'm in a black mood and wallowing in self-pity, I read The Nigger of the 'Narcissus'; bitch-slaps me right out of it.

I really need to try again to get through Nostromo.
Thanks for the excellent reminder.

DaveP
Old 6 July 2019, 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Currently reading Yvon Chouinard’s book “Let my people surf”. So far it’s been pretty interesting to see him explain his philosophy.
If you haven't already, suggest watching 180° South .
DaveP
Old 6 July 2019, 10:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
John Millius took that novel and wrote a kickass script for it, Hollywood sorta thought so too and this movie was the end result And when you think about it, makes perfect sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkrhkUeDCdQ
Old 6 July 2019, 10:30
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
John Millius took that novel and wrote a kickass script for it, Hollywood sorta thought so too and this movie was the end result And when you think about it, makes perfect sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkrhkUeDCdQ
I agree, after reading the story Brando played Kurtz to a T.
Old 6 July 2019, 16:51
All Star Benchwarmer

"The Pioneers" by David McCullogh.

It's about the settlement of the Ohio territory. It's something new as I don't usually read that type of history, but I love his writing and thought it would be cool. My wife hooked me up for our anniversary.
Old 6 July 2019, 17:14

I am sitting here working on finishing up novel number two, and took a break to check out SOCNET. I will send a free paperback copy, personalized if you like, to the first one here that sends me a PM with an address to send it to. Thanks and continue to enjoy the long weekend.

Here is a link to the book...https://www.amazon.com/Sibanda-Tim-F...rds=tim+farren
Old 6 July 2019, 17:21
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim416 View Post

I am sitting here working on finishing up novel number two, and took a break to check out SOCNET. I will send a free paperback copy, personalized if you like, to the first one here that sends me a PM with an address to send it to. Thanks and continue to enjoy the long weekend...
PM sent...

Old 6 July 2019, 18:20
Problem Solver

Well, seems like I was in the right place at the right time and got the book.

Many thanks to tim416 for his generosity...

Our new posting rules