SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 24 May 2008, 00:04
Confirmed User

Former 1C4(ETAC) in the USAF. Got my chance to do my job in early 02 through the end of the year. Sometimes I wish I was still in
Old 24 May 2008, 21:20
Been There Done That

5352 and 5304..in English...SWCC and NSW JTAC. I have met a bunch of Fires characters in country...I love this job....
Old 29 May 2008, 01:54

This is nice to see. Haven't been to the board in a while. RichGuy told me about this a while back. Current USAF TACP/ROMAD.
Old 29 May 2008, 09:56
Authorized Personnel

Good to see that there's so much experience in here.

Now all you TACP/JTAC/FACs need to make with the stories. I have a feeling there's a lot of lessons to be learned.

:D
Old 30 May 2008, 10:10
In From The East

All right I'll bite. We were doing a cordon and search in a place called K-town between Ramadi and Fallujah. We had sealed the perimeter off and started our door to door. At the time we had F-18's on station...all was going well. It was fastly approaching time for the fast movers to check off, so we advised the ground commander as such. He asked since we were not scheduled any more air until exfil if he could get a show of force to keep the bad guys heads down...no problem. The hornet's came in low the first pass...cool. The second pass even lower, then straight up punching their burners, at the same time dumping their entire load of flares....at which point started the process of a few "small" fires. The moral to this story is: Dry climates/conditions and flares are not a good combo......
Old 3 June 2008, 23:46
I am into Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
The hornet's came in low the first pass...cool.
In Bosnia, I have some Friend in French Air Force, they are strike against Bosnian Serb targets.

They are work with UK Soldier on ground, these UK Soldier are 3 (? Above ground level) floor up in industrial building, they ID target for strike.

End of long day, and the UK Soldier ask French pilots for 'fly-by'.

First Mirage come down street through industrial block, between industrial building. Some UK Soldiers apparently are looking down on this Mirage. :)

There is some excited talk between the Soldiers, not all are aware of incoming close proximity 'fly-by'.

Second Mirage follow same route. But is inverted. :)

"Be careful what you ask for".

Regards,
Old 4 June 2008, 00:35
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
In Bosnia, I have some Friend in French Air Force, they are strike against Bosnian Serb targets.

They are work with UK Soldier on ground, these UK Soldier are 3 (? Above ground level) floor up in industrial building, they ID target for strike.

End of long day, and the UK Soldier ask French pilots for 'fly-by'.

First Mirage come down street through industrial block, between industrial building. Some UK Soldiers apparently are looking down on this Mirage. :)

There is some excited talk between the Soldiers, not all are aware of incoming close proximity 'fly-by'.

Second Mirage follow same route. But is inverted. :)

"Be careful what you ask for".

Regards,

Johan:

Good story!
Old 4 June 2008, 11:48
Ranger

Ranger F.O. here. Went to JFCC. Had lots of fun playing with all the assets.

Task Force Ranger 1993
Old 4 June 2008, 13:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo57 View Post
Ranger F.O. here. Went to JFCC. Had lots of fun playing with all the assets.
Hey wildman! Good to see you in here. You should try to be one of the mods in here.
Old 29 June 2008, 21:26

Steel on time, on target

Just watching from the wings. Former Harrier Driver. Now I just do admin. Thats my story and I'm stickin to it. Glad to see there is a spot for JTACery on the web. Going feet dry this fall. Hopefully I'll be somewhere there isn't internet access but if there is I'll check in when able.

Semper Fi,

Pinto
7509/7502

USMC FACs/JTACs-Delivering steel on time, on target and leaving a healthy dose of PTSD behind for the ones that managed to get away.
Old 29 June 2008, 23:38
Former thousand-aire

Back from TACP and proud to officially join the ranks of Marine JTAC's (8002's)out there doing bad things to bad people. 0699, sorry didnt have a chance to get together. Saw SLAB on the hill and he can attest we had zero free time because of the lack of air flow, it was a scramble to get controls.

Look forward to learning as much as i can now about the advanced levels of being a JTAC and if the need be, applying my skill set to the best of my ability. If any of the school-house guys are on here. You guys put on a hell of a course and was glad to be apart of it. See you guys soon

"Sweaty"
Old 30 June 2008, 06:56
Authorized Personnel

No worries; life has been a madhouse lately, I know how it is...
Old 30 June 2008, 11:23

Greetings

Hello to all. I haven't visited the site for quite a while, and I'm glad to see there is a home for us JTACs and FS types. I have been doing the TACP thing for a couple years now and just returned from OEF. I look forward to the discussions that may ensue.
Old 30 June 2008, 19:16
That Others May Live

Welcome back Birdman.
Old 30 June 2008, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_ANGLICO View Post

Look forward to learning as much as i can now about the advanced levels of being a JTAC and if the need be, applying my skill set to the best of my ability. If any of the school-house guys are on here. You guys put on a hell of a course and was glad to be apart of it. See you guys soon

"Sweaty"
Get Yourself to Desert Talon at MAWTS. 3 weeks, 60-70 controls, current TTPs. Ask some of the O's and Es that have been. If you want more detailed info send me an im and next time I'm online I'll get you my .mil addr.

S/F
-P
Old 1 July 2008, 20:47
Former thousand-aire

Pinto -

Absolutely, i just missed this past one since it was going on while I was in TACP. Just had a couple guys come down from the AOC and give us a couple days of briefs on things and head to NTC soon, but no counting on a lot of air there.

I will be punched out by the next time a DT goes though, so it will be what I get between now and then and then baptism by fire once downrange.

Plan on hitting a DT when I get back though. Will be sure to pass some Lessons Learned once i get over there.

S/F
Old 1 July 2008, 21:16
Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_ANGLICO View Post
Back from TACP and proud to officially join the ranks of Marine JTAC's (8002's)out there doing bad things to bad people. 0699, sorry didnt have a chance to get together. Saw SLAB on the hill and he can attest we had zero free time because of the lack of air flow, it was a scramble to get controls.
Good meeting you bro. I had to tell my wife the story about dropping LtCol P's name, and you immediately asking, "Hey, are you SLAB?" Guess my infamy is starting to precede me. :D

Feel free to get in touch WRT current TTPs in use over there, I've got a little bit of time left at ANGLICO and will always be glad to hook a brother up.

Pinto, good to see a 7502 around. Most of what I learned about CAS came from switched on 7502s in the Fleet, not the EWTG. Look forward to hearing more from you.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3

Last edited by VMI_Marine; 2 July 2008 at 07:32. Reason: Can't spell
Old 14 January 2009, 06:58
Confirmed User

13F Spent most of my time in COLT 24th ID, 3rd ID, 1st AD. .
Prior to that I was a Cav scout in the Legion.

Best job in the world.
Old 5 February 2009, 15:40

Active duty FISTER currently working FSE for Corp HQ.
Old 5 February 2009, 16:42
carry on smartly

Navy side

I was an ASTAC (ASW/ASUW Tactical Air Controller ) and was the shipboard R/T guy for NGFS on all of my ships, all West Coast. I'd prolly drink the same coffee as the ANGLICOs and FACs....

Our new posting rules