SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support

Old 18 December 2009, 22:05

Headsets?

In everyone's experience here, what dual channel headsets/earbuds/etc work well under a helmet and in 120 degrees? I'm a USMC Bn Air O looking to upgrade from what I have (nothing), and I need to be able to monitor and talk on a 117 and a 152 wearing all my gear in a very hot environment. Peltors look pretty neat, but I can't imagine those being comfortable at all when it gets hot.

Thank you.
Old 18 December 2009, 22:27
Administrator

You're right. Peltors will fill up the earcups with sweat. I used a Thales hand mic in Helmand this past summer and it worked fine. Not quiet but we werent trying to be quiet. Just make sure you have alternate hearing protection. I learned that part the hard way. Lost 30 decibels in the 4000mhz range this last trip.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 18 December 2009, 22:58
Former thousand-aire

I agree a hand mic is a great way to go and have used it extensively in the past.

We also used the Quiet Pro system a lot during training and workup. I happened to like this piece of kit, the aircraft seemed to hear me better in higher winds and during operations and I could hear them better too. We also had ours hooked into our 153's so I could flip between the radio sets and talk to my team.

It takes some getting used to having multiple radio freqs playing in your head, but when i really needed to concentrate on only the air, i could just turn down the motorola.

Just my 2 cents...

Maj Samuel "Swacq" Griffith, 4th ANGLICO - December 14, 2011 Helmand, Afghanistan

Capt Warren "War" Frank, 5th ANGLICO - November 25, 2008 Baiji, Iraq

GySgt Marcelo Velasco, 4th ANGLICO - November 19, 2008 Fallujah, Iraq

Sgt Jeremiah McGraw, 4th ANGLICO - September 10, 2009

Lightning from the Sky, Thunder from the Sea!
Old 18 December 2009, 23:06

Peltors are shakey, they will fail on you at the worst time possible. I also recommend the thales handmics they are solid.
Old 19 December 2009, 01:17
Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_ANGLICO View Post
I agree a hand mic is a great way to go and have used it extensively in the past.

We also used the Quiet Pro system a lot during training and workup. I happened to like this piece of kit, the aircraft seemed to hear me better in higher winds and during operations and I could hear them better too. We also had ours hooked into our 153's so I could flip between the radio sets and talk to my team.

It takes some getting used to having multiple radio freqs playing in your head, but when i really needed to concentrate on only the air, i could just turn down the motorola.
So I'm not the only one who liked the QPs. Every other Marine I've talked to hated them. I've heard good things about Silynx Quietops (might be called C2ops or some such now). Personally, I controlled a section of Cobras using QPs while wearing a gas mask, and the pilots could not tell the difference. Also used them while on a SURC going about 20 knots on Lake Qadussiya, absolutely zero wind noise. However, they are a PITA to don. There is a dual comm version that will connect to two MBITRs, 117s, 152s, etc.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3
Old 19 December 2009, 05:40

Yeah I tried on the QP, and I do not like how they feel. Do they take getting used to, and are there different sizes? Even if I could get them to fit and be comfortable, I only have the ones that can monitor 153's and another radio, so they're not usefull to me. The USMC is buying that dual comm version, but I have no clue when i'm actually going to see them.

Silynx certainly gets the prize for have the coolest website.
Old 19 December 2009, 09:43

Silynx has its problems as well, they are uncomfortable for most people if worn for over an hour or so. Also the amplification feature seems to go in and out. Some people swear by them, but not many.
Old 19 December 2009, 13:37
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMI_Marine View Post
So I'm not the only one who liked the QPs. Every other Marine I've talked to hated them. I've heard good things about Silynx Quietops (might be called C2ops or some such now). Personally, I controlled a section of Cobras using QPs while wearing a gas mask, and the pilots could not tell the difference. Also used them while on a SURC going about 20 knots on Lake Qadussiya, absolutely zero wind noise. However, they are a PITA to don. There is a dual comm version that will connect to two MBITRs, 117s, 152s, etc.
WHAT?!?

I personally liked the QPs but didn't wear them long-term like VMI did. From what I saw, comfort level had a lot to do with being properly fitted for the ear pieces (5-6 sizes as I recall); improperly fitted ear pieces either gave you inner ear pain if too big or didn't work correctly if too small. Several other companies make QP-like headsets. IIRC, QP has three types; a single model that connects to a 153, a dual model that connects to a 153 and a second radio with a 5-pin connector, and a TACP model that connects to 2 radios with 5-pin connectors.
Old 19 December 2009, 18:13
Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKB View Post
Yeah I tried on the QP, and I do not like how they feel. Do they take getting used to, and are there different sizes? Even if I could get them to fit and be comfortable, I only have the ones that can monitor 153's and another radio, so they're not usefull to me. The USMC is buying that dual comm version, but I have no clue when i'm actually going to see them.
Talk to 2d ANGLICO's comm shop, they have the purchasing info. Thanks to a certain JTAC who had the CO's ear when it came to those sorts of things.

I went down to small earpieces, and had a much easier time. My biggest complaints are 1) donning them, and 2) I went from mounted to dismounted and back again. I am a big fan of vehicle intercom systems, but the QPs that the Marine Corps bought are not compatible with TOCNET or VIC-3. I don't want one headset in the vehicle and another for walkabouts. I want to unplug from the intercom box, plug into my manpack and go. Oh yeah, and compatibility with ICS systems would be nice, too.

One thought - look into McDowell Research's SOCOM-X headset. In the ear active hearing protection, but uses a boom mic like Peltors or Sordins. I would suspect that the boom mike eliminates the need to insert the earpiece until it touches gray matter.

As an aside, I always wanted to check out one of the wearable antennas. Goes inside your SAPI plate pockets, and ranges from 30-512 mHz. I don't know how deep your battalion's pockets are, but the worst they can do is say no, right?
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3
Old 19 December 2009, 18:35
Marine

As we continue to go down the technological rabbit hole here, I'll re-iterate what Sharky, ODB, and Ozymandias said. Whenever a particular headset wasn't working out, I invariably fell back on the Thales hand mics. Those things are just damned versatile. Even if you find the perfect headset that does everything you want, have one of the Thales hand mics as a backup. I think the actual nomenclature is "speaker microphone" if you want to search for an NSN.

Old 21 December 2009, 12:47
In From The East

"I've heard good things about Silynx Quietops (might be called C2ops or some such now" Don't walk away....run away from these....we used them recently in the sandbox and they sucked. We had problems with using them in HMV's, MRAP's and helo ops. They squel (even when the correct settings are made). There are way to many wires going everywhere...they snagged on everything. The side connector that pulled power from the MBTR did not function correctly causing us to constantly use AA batts...and they gobbled them up. The ear foam plugs continouly popped out (although that could be fixed with after market plugs.) So needless to say we sent ours back...my .02
Old 25 December 2009, 14:22

Have any of you guys looked into the Liberator seris from TCI ? They have single and duel comm versions. Pretty solid looking too. Just a thought .

http://www.merchantmanager.com/tacti...wide_comms.htm
Old 25 December 2009, 14:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqguy View Post
Have any of you guys looked into the Liberator seris from TCI ? They have single and duel comm versions. Pretty solid looking too. Just a thought .

I bought five sets of the single comm versions from TCI last year. Some worked okay but two of them squealed/hummed pretty bad when keying up and no audio was transmitted. I wont buy from them again. From here on they will be MSA/Peltor.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 28 December 2009, 01:28
Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
"I've heard good things about Silynx Quietops (might be called C2ops or some such now" Don't walk away....run away from these....we used them recently in the sandbox and they sucked. We had problems with using them in HMV's, MRAP's and helo ops. They squel (even when the correct settings are made). There are way to many wires going everywhere...they snagged on everything. The side connector that pulled power from the MBTR did not function correctly causing us to constantly use AA batts...and they gobbled them up. The ear foam plugs continouly popped out (although that could be fixed with after market plugs.) So needless to say we sent ours back...my .02

Good to know, thanks for the input.

Old 28 December 2009, 09:10
In From The East

VMI Marine, PM inbound....
Old 23 March 2010, 12:24
Confirmed User

I hate to drag this thread up from the dead, but does anyone have the NSN for JUST the Nacre Quietpro unit itself? We spotted some gear in DRMO for a unit I work with, but before we jump thru the DRMS hoops, we wanted to verify we had the right NSN.

POSSIBLY 7610-25-151-3802

Any help. Thanks!

KellyTTE
Old 24 March 2010, 06:03
Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqguy View Post

We're using liberators in the unit I'm with now. They shit the bed consistently around water. Not sure how they would fair outside of that because we haven't been able to keep ours running long enough to make an informed decision. First impression is stay away.

There's another company making a smiliar product; MSA Sordin. We bought some of those in hopes that they would be better than the liberators. Haven't had much luck with them either. Again, breaking easily and the MSAs that we have don't have a wind cup over the mic so you get allot of feedback, engine noise, etc. That part is easy enough to fix, but the fact that we had 5 of 9 go down on the same mission should tell you something. I'd shy away from those to if I were you. Just my $.02

EDITED: Just realized that the threat is pretty much done at this point.

Last edited by usnavy_233; 24 March 2010 at 06:05. Reason: Didn't realize the thread was so old.
Old 10 May 2010, 20:45

I had a lot of success with the Thales handmic. I also had the plastic earbud attachment, which is basically an earplug with a speaker. I stuffed an earplug in the other ear during air assault missions and together they worked very well. I reinforced the connections from the speaker mic to the earbud with tape to make sure they wouldn't come unplugged very easily if they were snagged and I never had an issue. I still rock the same setup to this day, it's even comfy.

I have a Liberator in my kit inventory and I never use it. I find the PTT box and calbing to be bulky, they break, and i don't like wearing a headset in 100+ degree temps when I can wear the above.

Just my .02
Old 29 August 2010, 01:01

VMI Marine, please do tell more about those full up integrated antennas. Any positive reviews? Pls post link if able
Old 29 August 2010, 10:27
Marine

I'll have to do some looking for the info. I was on a MiTT for a year, so I didn't touch any of that. I can at least point you in the right direction to do some research.

Our new posting rules