Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment

Old 1 September 2006, 02:28
Probationary User

129th SOAC

Anyone here from when Alpha Company, 3rd Battalion 160th SOAR was the 129th SOAC ? ( I know I'm showing my age here ! )
Old 1 September 2006, 12:58
Administrator

Are you asking about Pre-Panama or after the arrival there? I only know of one guy who is still around from that time frame.

Loved by few, judged by many
Old 2 September 2006, 09:52
Probationary User

Pre-Panama, when the unit was first stood up. The most recent past CO of 160th was the 129th Ops officer back then. This was before the Special Ops aviation companies were consolidated into the 160th Battalions. The 129th became the third Battalion of the 160th in 87-88.

We also stood up the 617 SOAC just prior to the Panama Invasion. Actually took four of our Blackhawks to Panama, gave them to the new 617th and trained their guys up for the invasion.

I read about some of my former compadres in after actions from the Iraq invasion and was just wondering if any of them were around this site.
Old 9 September 2006, 08:45
Confirmed User

Sky..
If your bio is correct, I worked with you in DS I. I was one of the 2nd Bat guys that trained you in KKMC.

Yes, people are still around.
Old 29 July 2008, 21:47

i was the 617th maint officer for 3 years, 1987 till 1990, trained by 3 bn 160th, great group of guys, did as outstanding job of training our troops to standards, thank
Old 27 February 2009, 10:52
Confirmed User

i was in the 129th from the day the company started until april 1990
Old 31 May 2009, 13:10

Still around

I've been to powder springs and recently visited HarleyMan on my way to PA. Give us a yell when you check back Mr. H. Cubby lives nearby here in Richmond Hill but still travels a good bit.
Old 26 March 2013, 14:10

129th 1st CO, Mean Gene, brought me with him from 1st Group when the company was started ... we were attached to the 1/75 Rangers back then. I was there until Dec 87. Haven't spoken to any of the old gang in years.
Old 27 March 2013, 12:20
Confirmed User

I still talk to a bunch of the guys. Glad to see you pop up on the board.
Old 27 March 2013, 13:02
Preparing to defend

I still talk to a few, especially during the formals. I was in 5th Grp at the time, but was taken hostage by 3rd.
Old 23 October 2013, 15:38
Been There Done That

I was given orders to the 129th SOAC in the summer of 1989 but they were calling us A 3/160 by the time I got there and signed in. I don't think the official change was until later in the year when Regiment stood up. (Sep 89?) When the few Chinook guys that were there became B 3/160 and came up with Wardogs shortly after that. I wouldn't have known any of the early guys unless they stayed for a long time.
Old 31 October 2013, 00:02
Been There Done That

Wasn't that back in the day with the green unit patch? I remember hearing some really good stories from the older guys about when the bunkers were used before the compound was designated Regimental home.

There are two kinds of people in this world,
the smart and lazy, and the stupid and industrious. Be wary of the stupid and industrious, they will fuck something up every time.
Old 20 January 2014, 12:43

While I was never a member of the 129th, I just wanted to pass this story along and thank all the guys at the 129th SOAC(A) for their help. I was assigned to the 246th TAMC (Later to be F Co. 24th AVN) at HAAF, GA from 1985 to 1989. We were in the Hanger straight across from the 129th hanger, next to the Cav guys (2/7 Cav I believe). 3 of us came over and assisted on one the 129th Blackhawks for a few hours and I really gained an admiration for the 129th group. I tried for a year after that to get re-assigned to the 129th from the 246th. The 129th sent me for my physical(s) and I got to know a few of the guys really well. At one point, they actually issued me Unit Crest, Patches, and told me I was in. 2-Weeks later I got orders for Korea and I that was that. Again, while I was never a member of the 129th, I do remember the unit and disappointed that I never got the chance to serve with the unit. I know the unit was tight knit and I was just wondering if anyone might vaguely remember this, a young Blackhawk mechanic from across the way hanging out and trying to get in the unit. Outside that, I still just wanna say thanks for putting the effort forth and giving me a chance. Thanks for your service guys.
Old 15 September 2014, 18:35

Dredd,

Haven't checked back here in some time but sorry to say I don't remember that day. We traveled quite a bit and I may have been on the road at the time you were over helping.

Thanks for the respectful words. Those were great days and a great bunch of guys, thanks to great leadership of the time (aka Mean Gene).

If ever in the Savannah area, I live in Richmond Hill and would be happy to buy you a beverage of choice.
Old 15 September 2014, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
I still talk to a few, especially during the formals. I was in 5th Grp at the time, but was taken hostage by 3rd.
Will be at the formal this October 18th.
Old 15 September 2014, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRX631 View Post
I was given orders to the 129th SOAC in the summer of 1989 but they were calling us A 3/160 by the time I got there and signed in. I don't think the official change was until later in the year when Regiment stood up. (Sep 89?) When the few Chinook guys that were there became B 3/160 and came up with Wardogs shortly after that. I wouldn't have known any of the early guys unless they stayed for a long time.
Correct. It was the fall of '89 that we officially became 3rd Batt.
Old 15 September 2014, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideRider View Post
129th 1st CO, Mean Gene, brought me with him from 1st Group when the company was started ... we were attached to the 1/75 Rangers back then. I was there until Dec 87. Haven't spoken to any of the old gang in years.
TB?

Are you coming to the formal in October?

Our new posting rules