SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 31 May 2018, 12:19
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEx View Post
There is a reason they are working so hard and spending so much money on self driving cars and it isn't to make life wonderful for the rest of us....
So what is it?
Old 31 May 2018, 13:23
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
So what is it?
Itís not to stop 3rd shithole migration, thatís for sure. Demís need more voters...
Old 31 May 2018, 13:34

And the right needs more low-wage low-IQ indentured servants for their corporate buddies.
Old 31 August 2018, 10:12
Drawing my cutlass

Tangent to the curve on the thread, but I've made it to the second round of Amazon's Logistics program for entrepreneurs to provide last mile services for delivery. The next step is a phone interview.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Amazon is evil, Bezos is a Soros clone, their workers are treated poorly. The difference is if I'm selected, I'll be an independent operator leasing Amazon livery trucks and making my own recruiting, hiring and personnel decisions.

And there's a fuck ton of money to be made.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 31 August 2018, 10:20
Make a desert and call it peace.

Ask yourself, if there's a fuckton of money to be made, why are they outsourcing it? S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 31 August 2018, 10:24
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Ask yourself, if there's a fuckton of money to be made, why are they outsourcing it? S/F...Ken M
My opinion, they're spreading the risk and reward. In twenty years it will be autonomous vehicles, UAS and robotics, but I'm willing to bet the next 15 years to build my own little corner.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 31 August 2018, 10:49
pumpin gas and kickin ass

It is an industry best practice when scaling a technology solution.

By scaling, think going nationwide. Imagine trying to create a workflow process for every city or county in America. It's a fucking nightmare.

Way easier to build an entrepreneur academy that teaches people how to think about it and how build their own location unique process, that you only have to build once or twice rather than scale that process to.

For any service that interfaces directly with a customer, the last mile is where it fails, because the last mile is the hardest thing to keep current and/or finish.

Home Depot does the same thing for appliance delivery/installs.

If you are the big company, I don't want to talk to each customer, I want to talk to a single entity that owns that customer relation in any given territory. I can scale that.

What I don't want is to scale a headache of dealing with local law, regulation and/or shithead customer.

Right or wrong, it is an industry practice now for many newer companies, and in my opinion is a result of shitty regulatory environment.
Old 31 August 2018, 11:17
Been There Done That

^^^^ This. Good post.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 31 August 2018, 12:26
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitforjonny View Post
It is an industry best practice when scaling a technology solution.

By scaling, think going nationwide. Imagine trying to create a workflow process for every city or county in America. It's a fucking nightmare.

Way easier to build an entrepreneur academy that teaches people how to think about it and how build their own location unique process, that you only have to build once or twice rather than scale that process to.

For any service that interfaces directly with a customer, the last mile is where it fails, because the last mile is the hardest thing to keep current and/or finish.

Home Depot does the same thing for appliance delivery/installs.

If you are the big company, I don't want to talk to each customer, I want to talk to a single entity that owns that customer relation in any given territory. I can scale that.

What I don't want is to scale a headache of dealing with local law, regulation and/or shithead customer.

Right or wrong, it is an industry practice now for many newer companies, and in my opinion is a result of shitty regulatory environment.
Also, there is the hassle and headache of buying/leasing and maintaining your own fleet of delivery vehicles, as well as dealing with the employees you hire to drive them.

OTOH, my BIL was part of an internet startup back when dot.coms were proliferating before the tech crash, a home furnishing outfit, and they were outsourcing all of their deliveries through third parties throughout the country.

They ran into a bunch of problems right from the start, mainly the unreliability and lack of professionalism on the part of the people they hired. They basically did things on the fly and didn't properly vet their outsourced "partners".

I think Amazon is doing this delivery venture right now with an eye toward the relatively near future where self driving delivery vehicles will become more common, thus removing that one link in the chain that all companies always have trouble controlling: people. At that point, it would make more sense for them to maintain their own fleet of vehicles, but right now it's easier and less risky for them to farm it out.
Old 31 August 2018, 13:39
pumpin gas and kickin ass

Amazon is doing it, particularly targeting vets, because they had exposure to a transition programs that supplied them the best quality candidates they had seen in years.

They have fully embraced 'apprenticeship' training requirements for technology sector, and not 'academic' training and actively look at ways to build 'pipelines' that feed their labor need.

The original dot com broke the traditional relationship between employee and decades long employment with defined retirement benefits. The labor market is still catching up.

The way they now control for quality is pushing the hard rules to the 'franchisee' who is actually an independent owner operator. With Amazon's observation that transitioning veterans are great employees, building a more efficient training mechanism than a near useless 4 year degree optimizes their talent pipeline targeting this 'last mile' of service delivery.

It is a cost shifting from internal to external supply chain for the last mile of service, because Big Government makes having employees a fucking nightmare.

This is why Uber is eating Taxi's lunch for breakfast. You harness individual incentive for freedom and 'ownership', train it to a standard, and then you only have to monitor quality or you can move the business to the next willing operator.

It is similar to Walmart owning the entire volume of a factory. They can control the asset because they control the demand, and don't have to worry about the details.

It is the modern version of diversification of labor.

To you point about automation, you will still need a front line person to manage something - whether it is code, the customer or whatever. Early automation assisted human labor, future automation will be assisted by human labor.
Old 1 September 2018, 14:59
Confirmed User

When I was going through TAPS they stated that franchisers really like veterans because we know how to follow checklists and stick to established processes. Apparently the ability to follow simple directions is now considered a big deal.

x/S
Old 1 September 2018, 16:14
Confirmed User

^Plus show up on time and show up to work. Don't know how many times I've heard of complaints of people just simply not showing up for work with no notice and then coming back to work like it's no big deal to have missed work and shocked they've been fired.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 1 September 2018, 17:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
^Plus show up on time and show up to work. Don't know how many times I've heard of complaints of people just simply not showing up for work with no notice and then coming back to work like it's no big deal to have missed work and shocked they've been fired.
Yup. I get called to cover shifts at a restaurant I used to work at(I transferred to a different location) because so and so no called-no showed, or so and so came in late, but said she had to go home because [insert bullshit excuse here]. It's fucking ridiculous.

Good work ethic is apparently not a thing these days.
Old 10 October 2018, 14:41
Been There Done That

Well looks like Amazon will be bringing 1,200 jobs to a suburb of Indianapolis. Nice boost to the economy there, without going too overboard.

http://www.wlfi.com/content/news/Ama...496611201.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10 October 2018, 15:22

Look for Indy to trend blue moving forward.
Old 10 October 2018, 15:35
Been There Done That

Indy is already Blue, and a few other cities. But the rest of the state is Red.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 11 October 2018, 13:52

I was in Cincy last week at a Job Fair. My table was next to Amazon. We complete for Warehouse people in the Hebron, KY area. They burn through employees like crazy like everyone else does in that industry. The simple element of showing up on time every day in a row for your first 30 days is clearly challenging for this Generation of young people.
They increased their minimum rate to $15 per hour but they've taken away some performance based pay that will impact their FTE's.

As far as Amazon hiring Vets, they go after them but they turn a good amount of them too. Crazy hours, metrics, and Amazon above everything is a bit of a turn off after a while.

The name recognition they have drives candidates to them like crazy but they've not figured out the retention part yet.
Old 11 October 2018, 20:57
Spice Weasel

^^Wouldn’t be surprised if the higher pay is at least partially in response to retention issues. They’ll have people beating down the doors and they can cherry-pick employees. Sucks for the incentivized employees, but perhaps Amazon thinks it’s worth the risk.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 12 October 2018, 06:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 View Post
I was in Cincy last week at a Job Fair. My table was next to Amazon. We complete for Warehouse people in the Hebron, KY area. They burn through employees like crazy like everyone else does in that industry. The simple element of showing up on time every day in a row for your first 30 days is clearly challenging for this Generation of young people.
They increased their minimum rate to $15 per hour but they've taken away some performance based pay that will impact their FTE's.

As far as Amazon hiring Vets, they go after them but they turn a good amount of them too. Crazy hours, metrics, and Amazon above everything is a bit of a turn off after a while.

The name recognition they have drives candidates to them like crazy but they've not figured out the retention part yet.
Anyone who joined Amazon as an hourly FTE Associate 20 years ago with no promotions would be sitting on between $1-2 million in Amazon shares if they converted and held their options.

Most of my Associates back them blew it all every 90 days they vested.

That same share growth opportunity is over.

Little known fact.

In 1998-1999 we were hiring like crazy to keep up with order demand and ďwow the customerĒ, while trying to ďaverage upĒ with each hire(as per company doctrine).

There were large numbers of vets looking for work due to the peace dividend.

It made sense to hire a truckload of platoon commanders, company commanders, and SNCOs who could execute in ambiguity.

My dope smoking artist peers werenít too keen, but we needed people who could execute and keep the good idea fairy at bay.

It hasnít been until recent years that the company developed an official policy, plans, and strategy to hire vets.

20 years ago, doing so helped save the company.

Itís a shame itís not mentioned as part of company history.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.

Our new posting rules