SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 17 September 2020, 15:43
Confirmed User

Total Wireless SIM Card Swap

I have four lines on total Wireless, which is a Verizon MVNO. In the past, I have swapped my activated SIM card into a different smartphone and everything worked great.

Earlier this week, I bought a new Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro, which had never been activated. When I pulled the SIM card from my Samsung Galaxy S9, the phone showed several bars of signal strength, but when I tried to call or text, I received a message about not being registered on the network.

Is it possible that even though a SIM card is already activated and works on one smartphone that it will not work in a new, never been activated smartphone? I have read conflicting information about that on other sites and forums. So far, it sort of sounds like it is a crap shoot, meaning it might work and it might not work.

In the past, when I have used AT&T or T-Mobile, once a SIM card was activated, it could be used in pretty much any compatible phone.
Old 22 September 2020, 10:19
Authorized Personnel

One of two things: not activated properly, or not authorized. The difference being, not authorized could have some tie between the SIM and an IMEI, which is preventing the data connection.
Old 2 October 2020, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I have four lines on total Wireless, which is a Verizon MVNO. In the past, I have swapped my activated SIM card into a different smartphone and everything worked great.

Earlier this week, I bought a new Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro, which had never been activated. When I pulled the SIM card from my Samsung Galaxy S9, the phone showed several bars of signal strength, but when I tried to call or text, I received a message about not being registered on the network.

Is it possible that even though a SIM card is already activated and works on one smartphone that it will not work in a new, never been activated smartphone? I have read conflicting information about that on other sites and forums. So far, it sort of sounds like it is a crap shoot, meaning it might work and it might not work.

In the past, when I have used AT&T or T-Mobile, once a SIM card was activated, it could be used in pretty much any compatible phone.
My issue is I got rid of a sim card and the phone is still linked to that number. I got a new sim and tried to register it to that phone and you have to call in now to change the pairing. Is there any apps that would suffice in leu of this tracphone route?
Old 2 October 2020, 10:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
My issue is I got rid of a sim card and the phone is still linked to that number. I got a new sim and tried to register it to that phone and you have to call in now to change the pairing. Is there any apps that would suffice in leu of this tracphone route?
I use Sudo https://mysudo.com/

I pay $5 a month and get three numbers. The calling plan is a little limited but if you bump up to the $15 a month pan you get 9 numbers and unlimited calling/texting/etc.

The only people that have my cell number are my immediate family (wife/daughters). Everyone else gets one of my Sudo numbers.

Call quality is pretty good but not as good a regular cell number.

You can also choose number from anywhere in the US (or Canada or the UK if you want).

All calls and messages between Sudo users are free.

You can change a number out for $1.00.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 10.13.13 AM.png (257.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 2 October 2020, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
One of two things: not activated properly, or not authorized. The difference being, not authorized could have some tie between the SIM and an IMEI, which is preventing the data connection.

Late to the party here, but exactly.

I’ve seen speed and connectivity issues when cross decking SIMs across carriers.

In my case I rabbit holed it down to carrier authorizations. SIMs could be interchanged flawlessly between 2 carriers, 3 personal devices and a fleet (40+) of work phones within local region. When traveling for work, phones that were “roaming” would be throttled at best (paid off devices) and most times the RF receiver would freak the fuck out and bounce between 1x,3G, LTE until shit crashed, on financed units. Toss in matching SIM...all bueno on reboot.

I got a hold of a decent USCellular Sup and we talked about provisioning and a few other nerdy things. It seems at that time they had no towers in that area of SoCal and that ‘Roaming” condition forced a SIM/IMEI validation for full speeds. I asked about a similar experience on a specific stretch of i5. She looked and validated, same thing- no owned towers in the area, renting one from the next guy.
Old 3 October 2020, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
I use Sudo https://mysudo.com/

I pay $5 a month and get three numbers. The calling plan is a little limited but if you bump up to the $15 a month pan you get 9 numbers and unlimited calling/texting/etc.

The only people that have my cell number are my immediate family (wife/daughters). Everyone else gets one of my Sudo numbers.

Call quality is pretty good but not as good a regular cell number.

You can also choose number from anywhere in the US (or Canada or the UK if you want).

All calls and messages between Sudo users are free.

You can change a number out for $1.00.
Thanks for the input, gonna give this a roll.
Old 3 October 2020, 10:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
Thanks for the input, gonna give this a roll.
I should ad that after a retired from the PD I got a new phone, and a new number. I ported my old number to Google Voice.

The Google voice mail says to leave a message and I'll call you back and I get an email if someone leaves a VM.

The VM and any texts are forwarded to one of the Sudo emails.

My wife and daughters are the only one's who have the new number that is assigned to the phone. But I talk and message with them through Signal.

Our new posting rules