SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 20 December 2011, 11:23
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulphero View Post

So from my position of un-clarity; will less big army troops = more IC's (not counting DoD jobs when there's less DoD) or will Iraq transition into a PSD/FP-less society. It seems possible theoretically that a power vacuum left by combat forces could be filled by contractors--if the need were there and start a 2nd 'boom' or is this chapter closed?
Specific to the Iraq theater.. no.. less big army does not equal more private security.. the total number of private security contractors in Iraq today is substantially less than it was a year ago.. and there is no projection for the number to increase anytime in the near future (at least not on the US government payroll)..

the jobs that are there today.. will likely continue to be there for a while longer..

but you are not going to see a "2nd Boom".. under the current circumstances..
Old 20 December 2011, 12:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen.is.****** View Post
pulp...plain English dude....make it a simple question, what is it that you want to know? less than 100 words please...looking for simplicity here.
You might want to tone down your attitude. This board has BTDT's to do the post police calls.

Thanks.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 20 December 2011, 12:11
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
pulp...plain English dude....make it a simple question, what is it that you want to know? less than 100 words please...looking for simplicity here.
LOL. You criticize a post when your own posts leave something to be desired in clarity and grammar.

As MixedLoad stated, perhaps you might leave the critiquing, and even answering of posts, to someone else....
Old 21 December 2011, 03:22
Confirmed User

Quote:

Allen, will the draw down be a boon for a new hire IC’s like back in 2004-2006 or is it a nail in the coffin of PSC‘s?

29 words. Of course not qualifying certain questions, or statements, on this forum can leave your ass hung out for the BTDT fish to shred so I tend to over compensate, admittedly.
Old 21 December 2011, 09:35
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulphero
Allen....
From his profile and statements, allen isn't qualified to do anything other than ask questions. Bantering with him may also draw the attention you are seeking to avoid....
Old 21 December 2011, 10:20
Administrator

We have discussed the issue of the draw down and it's impact on the need or lack of need for more "security" types in threads not titled "How to become....".

MDWest gave you the accurate answer so there is no need to continue to take this thread off in the wrong direction.

Thanks
Old 22 December 2011, 03:09

Sorry gents, didnt mean to come off in a worng way. I wanted to understand Pulphero's comment. Thanks MDWest for your answer Thanks
Old 4 February 2012, 17:51

Hello all, newbie here looking to learn more about IC work. Right now I'm a former USMC infantryman who did four years and got out. I miss the job, I miss being deployed, I have two combat deployments one to Iraq and one to Afghanistan. I am currently attending a community college with a focus in Criminal Justice. I just have two questions. What can I do to set myself apart from the average 0311 or 11B and make myself that much more desirable to potential employers? And even though I'd eventually like to break into the PSD side of things, I recently had to turn down an FP offer from a company due to how early they wanted me to attend their training. Are force pro jobs like these a good way to get my foot in the door?
Old 4 February 2012, 18:05
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERadwanski View Post
What can I do to set myself apart from the average 0311
To set you apart? I would say get your degree. Also, up your people-skills and be way more humble than you were as an 03. My .02
Old 4 February 2012, 18:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERadwanski View Post
Hello all, newbie here looking to learn more about IC work. Right now I'm a former USMC infantryman who did four years and got out. I miss the job, I miss being deployed, I have two combat deployments one to Iraq and one to Afghanistan. I am currently attending a community college with a focus in Criminal Justice. I just have two questions. What can I do to set myself apart from the average 0311 or 11B and make myself that much more desirable to potential employers? And even though I'd eventually like to break into the PSD side of things, I recently had to turn down an FP offer from a company due to how early they wanted me to attend their training. Are force pro jobs like these a good way to get my foot in the door?
Welcome,
1: As a member of this site, I would encourage you to read as much as you can. There is a lot of info on here that has educated me on the how the industry is run and what approaches to take. SOCNET has an array of experienced members including recruiters from various companies always looking for a qualified individual. Stay fit stay and stay sharp.
2: A Force Protection gig is always a good way to get into the industry. The pay may not be desirable in the AO but don't be picky with what offers are being placed in front of you. A more experienced member may elaborate on that note but just something to start with. From one 03 to another...get that degree brother, that's going to outlast any gig! Best of luck.

Semper Fi
Old 4 February 2012, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
To set you apart? I would say get your degree. Also, up your people-skills and be way more humble than you were as an 03. My .02
Humility is something I pride myself in. Oh, the irony I know. But seriously I know my place, I'm always willing to learn form anyone willing to contribute. Thanks to both you fellas for responding.
Old 9 April 2012, 23:21

Hey, great thread. Im leaving the Ozzie army soon and looking at doing some courses to get a background on top of my military experience! I have heard a lot of good things about the RONIN CP course run in cape town in south africa???? any Ideas about that? I have heard of some people being scammed of their initial deposit becuase of the course being cancelled!
Would it be more beneficial for me to do the USA run courses?

Cheers everyone
D
Old 10 April 2012, 09:54
Poser

You might have to E&E on your own. (Better have a lot of cash stashed to pay people off to get out alive.)
RAT is right on the button on E&E have some money stashed, this helped me DD out of Yemen
Old 10 April 2012, 13:43
Custom User Title

I always carried at least $1000 on me at all times. It was nice to know it was there.
Old 11 April 2012, 00:50

RONIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic484 View Post
I've been looking around at remote medical training and found a few courses in the States, nothing as cool as expatmedics UK course chest tubes, cut downs and central line etc; but advanced provider courses. wilderness/remote,offshore and some leaning more tactical . Would anyone suggest a training site or provider thats well thought of by this community. Shadow a PA I like that.
Hey have you checked out the remote medic course that RONIN runs in cape town South Africa. Ive heard good things about it and a lot of it is hands on experience as they run their own ambulance service to the public. Im thinking of doing it myself.
But i will check out that expatmedic course in UK.
Old 22 July 2012, 20:13

are there any active operators on this thread right now? I've got some course questions! Thanks in advance!! :)
Old 22 July 2012, 20:17
Administrator

We don't use operators as a general term here. Please start a thread with your questions after you use the search function.

Thanks
Old 27 September 2012, 22:43

I'm looking for any information on a school called ESI (Executive Security International). I've been to their website, I've read up all I can on them, I only want to use this as another source for my research. The school specializes in executive protection, but the course I hope to attend is their PSD 28 day residency training. The web site says they've been in business since the early 80's. It seems reputable, I just want to make sure I'm getting as much bang for my buck as possible. And I'd like to come out of a school with an exemplary training record. I think this has been a focused enough question, you guys are merciless when someone fucks up a post lol. Thanks for the help
Old 27 September 2012, 22:50
Firearm Industry Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger1121 View Post
I'm looking for any information on a school called ESI (Executive Security International). I've been to their website, I've read up all I can on them, I only want to use this as another source for my research. The school specializes in executive protection, but the course I hope to attend is their PSD 28 day residency training. The web site says they've been in business since the early 80's. It seems reputable, I just want to make sure I'm getting as much bang for my buck as possible. And I'd like to come out of a school with an exemplary training record. I think this has been a focused enough question, you guys are merciless when someone fucks up a post lol. Thanks for the help
ESI *might* give you a leg up. Huge emphasis on MIGHT. Most positions will have other guys applying for them with real time on EP teams, especially these days. Many large agencies will have their own course you attend, rendering ESI somewhat...well, moot.

You want to stand out? Take that 28 days and go become an EMT. Seriously, it will help you more in my opinion.

I'm about to have to get my EMT certs just to keep from becoming obsolete, if that tells you anything.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 27 September 2012, 23:12

It does help SOW. It's a good plan, getting the EMT cert. I wonder if my GI Bill will cover it? I actually found another post talking almost exclusively about ESI so I'm sorry for posting up in the wrong spot. god I hate FNG's. But again, excellent advice I'll look into some EMT training.

Our new posting rules