SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Medal of Honor

Old 9 May 2021, 22:46
0311/8651

MOH Miguel Keith

Miguel was a CAP Marine in Vietnam, platoon 1-3-2. A Navy ship has been named for this Marine.
As you all know I was CAP- 2-7-8 & 2-7-6
Semper Fidelis young Marine
RIP
Old 9 May 2021, 23:59

CAP Marine:

After reading what you posted, I had to do more research.
As I have stated many times, I read everything I can on CAP, Civil Affairs, and what I call Special Mission Units from Present to Pre-17th Century.

Despite being severely wounded during combat in Quang Ngai Province on May 8, 1970, Keith advanced on a group of about 25 enemy attackers, killing three of the enemy advancing on the command post and causing others to retreat for cover. He was wounded by a grenade during the charge.

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a machine gunner with Combined Action Platoon 1-3-2, III Marine Amphibious Force, operating in Quang Ngai Province, Republic of Vietnam," his Medal of Honor citation reads. "Lance Corporal Keith contributed in large measure to the success of his platoon in routing a numerically superior enemy force, and upheld the finest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service."

I am continuously trying to expand my knowledge on Navy Ships, since I have about zero.

USS Miguel Keith is the third Expeditionary Sea Base. ESB was previously known as Afloat Forward Staging Base. These vessels are flexible platforms providing logistics movement from sea to shore supporting a range of military operations. The ESB is designed around four core capabilities: aviation facilities, berthing, equipment staging area and command and control.

Capt. Troy A. Fendrick, a native of Tempe, Arizona, is the ship's commanding officer and will lead about 100 military officers and crew, alongside 44 Military Sealift Civil Service Mariners.

USS Miguel Keith will be part of the Forward Deployed Naval Force operating from Saipan.
Old 10 May 2021, 12:12
Hard to Kill

Semper Fi, Devil Dog. What a great tribute.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” - G. Orwell

The chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall.
Old 10 May 2021, 18:59
ditch digger

I have a picture of him next to the ship commissioning announcement laid out on the table in my office. Good education primer to everyone I meet with. Much respect to him and the family that gave him to us....

Our new posting rules