SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 19 July 2019, 04:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post

If we are willing to write off Iran as a loss, we can choose to wipe them off the map, or up-arm the Saudis to do the same thing
I can understand US hatred for Iran for multiple obvious reasons, but the fact that Saudi Arabia is not treated equally is beyond me...

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Old 19 July 2019, 09:39
Been There Done That

Were you around in 79/80? How about the Beirut bombings that killed over 200 Marines?

Nevermind. Switzerland.

Yea, I got a hard on for the MF'rs. Die.

Karl Childers
Old 19 July 2019, 09:40
Shakin' the bush Boss

I think he's saying it was like 3K at the hands of the Saudis in 01.
Old 19 July 2019, 10:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I think he's saying it was like 3K at the hands of the Saudis in 01.
^^^This

Old 19 July 2019, 10:33
Been There Done That

Apologies Armageddon. I misread "can" for "can't understand" in your post. Saudi's play us too. Yes.

Karl Childers
Old 19 July 2019, 10:55
Been There Done That

Supporting KSA militarily to get rid of Iran isn't a viable longterm solution. It's more US foreign policy shortsightedness, whether we're doing it overtly or covertly. The House of Saud is a strategic economic and military ally that wouldn't survive without our continued funding. We've seen what the majority of the country's feelings towards us more than just on 9/11.

The same can be said about Jordan and to an extent Israel, though the latter has a different context.

Nothing says we cannot maintain the sanctions and play the long-game with only minor military action, as needed. The post-JCPOA sanctions have been more effective than ever before. Strategically, I agree with those who advocate waiting for Iran to do more stupid things, which they're prone to as we've just seen this week...twice...and bring on more of our UN "friends" to enforce every measure we put in play.

It's not only important for the current administration to do so in light of the immediacy concerning Iran, but sends a message to DPRK that we don't have to attack you militarily to destroy you.

The people of Iran will be much more receptive to changing their own circumstances if President Trump is reelected.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 19 July 2019, 10:57
Confirmed User

No problem!

Old 19 July 2019, 13:15
BTDT

You're looking for logic, from governments? Hahahahahaha!

Just look at this thread - you got dudes pissed off 39 years after they took hostages, yet will tell you that none of *them* were pissed off, 26 years after the CIA and MI6 overthrew their leader and installed the Shah and Savak. All of Ajax has been declassified on history.state.gov

If you do a media bias check on Foreign Policy (foreignpolicy.com) they come up right down the middle, they lead off with this after all of Ajax was released:

Quote:
Declassified documents released last week shed light on the Central Intelligence Agency’s central role in the 1953 coup that brought down Iranian Prime Minister Muhammad Mossadegh, fueling a surge of nationalism which culminated in the 1979 Iranian Revolution and poisoning U.S.-Iran relations into the 21st century.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/20...an-tehran-oil/

Our biggest problem is we can *never* admit that we fuck up. Yes, that country's leadership are a bunch of fundamentalist whack jobs, so as it sits - fuck them. But we got where we've been (on both sides) because of British oil in 1953.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 19 July 2019, 13:38
Been There Done That

^^^ Sad but true. But I still like an occasional bombing, shoot down, something blowing up there to keep me happy.

Karl Childers
Old 19 July 2019, 15:27
Confirmed User

Another Oil Tanker Veers into Iranian Waters

So, it looks like these oil tankers seem to get real careless around the Strait of Hormuz, drifting into Iranian territory and turning off their trackers.

I remember an article about GPS spoofing and some people saying that was nonsense. Either that or the IRGC boat teams are taking down vessels now?

This tanker, and the UAE tanker that was supposedly first broken down, then accused of smugling oil into Iranian territory.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49053383
Old 19 July 2019, 17:01
Been There Done That

Maybe they can send the new 007 to rescue the crew.
Old 19 July 2019, 17:48
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
So, it looks like these oil tankers seem to get real careless around the Strait of Hormuz, drifting into Iranian territory and turning off their trackers.

I remember an article about GPS spoofing and some people saying that was nonsense. Either that or the IRGC boat teams are taking down vessels now?

This tanker, and the UAE tanker that was supposedly first broken down, then accused of smugling oil into Iranian territory.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49053383
Well, we now know Iran is hijacking oil tankers.
Fail on the Royal Navy's part (unless they withdrew, then fail on the PM's part).
Old 19 July 2019, 18:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
You're looking for logic, from governments? Hahahahahaha!

Just look at this thread - you got dudes pissed off 39 years after they took hostages, yet will tell you that none of *them* were pissed off, 26 years after the CIA and MI6 overthrew their leader and installed the Shah and Savak. All of Ajax has been declassified on history.state.gov

If you do a media bias check on Foreign Policy (foreignpolicy.com) they come up right down the middle, they lead off with this after all of Ajax was released:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/20...an-tehran-oil/

Our biggest problem is we can *never* admit that we fuck up. Yes, that country's leadership are a bunch of fundamentalist whack jobs, so as it sits - fuck them. But we got where we've been (on both sides) because of British oil in 1953.
Yep. The Middle East is a colossal cluster of western countries' making. Same with Africa, except they're just not quite as important on a global scale (yet).

My problem, right now, is that there is a 3-way fight to be the regional hegemon in the Middle East between Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Iran. Plus, Russia and China can use that fight as a proxy against the US. Not to mention they can play every side against the other on any given day because relationships over there are such a spaghetti chart.

Anyway, Middle East is a shit show. We ("western" countries) have made sure of it by prior actions. Ultimately, we continue to ensure that it is even worth giving a shit about by creating our own existential problem sets in the region so we can't extricate ourselves efficiently. Just a complete shit show.
Old 19 July 2019, 18:33
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Supporting KSA militarily to get rid of Iran isn't a viable longterm solution. It's more US foreign policy shortsightedness, whether we're doing it overtly or covertly. The House of Saud is a strategic economic and military ally that wouldn't survive without our continued funding. We've seen what the majority of the country's feelings towards us more than just on 9/11.

The same can be said about Jordan and to an extent Israel, though the latter has a different context.

Nothing says we cannot maintain the sanctions and play the long-game with only minor military action, as needed. The post-JCPOA sanctions have been more effective than ever before. Strategically, I agree with those who advocate waiting for Iran to do more stupid things, which they're prone to as we've just seen this week...twice...and bring on more of our UN "friends" to enforce every measure we put in play.

It's not only important for the current administration to do so in light of the immediacy concerning Iran, but sends a message to DPRK that we don't have to attack you militarily to destroy you.

The people of Iran will be much more receptive to changing their own circumstances if President Trump is reelected.
Pretty much. The sanctions are working verywell actually, as they were intended to do. It’s a waiting game with a limited bitch slap when Iran gets to out of line now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Yep. The Middle East is a colossal cluster of western countries' making. Same with Africa, except they're just not quite as important on a global scale (yet).

My problem, right now, is that there is a 3-way fight to be the regional hegemon in the Middle East between Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Iran. Plus, Russia and China can use that fight as a proxy against the US. Not to mention they can play every side against the other on any given day because relationships over there are such a spaghetti chart.

Anyway, Middle East is a shit show. We ("western" countries) have made sure of it by prior actions. Ultimately, we continue to ensure that it is even worth giving a shit about by creating our own existential problem sets in the region so we can't extricate ourselves efficiently. Just a complete shit show.
You get that fancy book learnin’s in KS? And here I thought those courses were worthless
Old 19 July 2019, 18:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post

It isn't hard to imagine the West to have a formal destabilizing policy precisely to keep one player in the ME and Africa from becoming too powerful. An occasional war/police action/air strike to check a strongman seems to be the cost of doing business.
Old 19 July 2019, 21:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
You get that fancy book learnin’s in KS? And here I thought those courses were worthless
Hahaha!!

You should've been a fly on the wall that year, brother. It was... I don't even know what to say.
Old 19 July 2019, 22:11
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Were you around in 79/80? How about the Beirut bombings that killed over 200 Marines?

Nevermind. Switzerland.

Yea, I got a hard on for the MF'rs. Die.
Yeah, I was. And I admit to despising the little fucks running around little creek with those 9 chevrons (LOL) running down their sleeves and driving them caddies. I truly hated them. Of course, those were the Shahs folks.

Then they took hostages. And then my hate festered.

So despite the inherited politics of administrations past, we're in the here and now. And I'm still alive.

Did I mention I love the USMC killing their fucking drone? Yep! Shut them down. And do it the easy way.

Our new posting rules