SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #521  
Old 19 July 2019, 04:32
Armageddon's Avatar
Armageddon Armageddon is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post

If we are willing to write off Iran as a loss, we can choose to wipe them off the map, or up-arm the Saudis to do the same thing
I can understand US hatred for Iran for multiple obvious reasons, but the fact that Saudi Arabia is not treated equally is beyond me...
__________________
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 19 July 2019, 09:39
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,432
Were you around in 79/80? How about the Beirut bombings that killed over 200 Marines?

Nevermind. Switzerland.

Yea, I got a hard on for the MF'rs. Die.
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #523  
Old 19 July 2019, 09:40
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Shakin' the bush Boss
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,053
I think he's saying it was like 3K at the hands of the Saudis in 01.
Reply With Quote
  #524  
Old 19 July 2019, 10:05
Armageddon's Avatar
Armageddon Armageddon is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I think he's saying it was like 3K at the hands of the Saudis in 01.
^^^This
__________________
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Reply With Quote
  #525  
Old 19 July 2019, 10:33
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,432
Apologies Armageddon. I misread "can" for "can't understand" in your post. Saudi's play us too. Yes.
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #526  
Old 19 July 2019, 10:55
MixedLoad's Avatar
MixedLoad MixedLoad is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 8,850
Supporting KSA militarily to get rid of Iran isn't a viable longterm solution. It's more US foreign policy shortsightedness, whether we're doing it overtly or covertly. The House of Saud is a strategic economic and military ally that wouldn't survive without our continued funding. We've seen what the majority of the country's feelings towards us more than just on 9/11.

The same can be said about Jordan and to an extent Israel, though the latter has a different context.

Nothing says we cannot maintain the sanctions and play the long-game with only minor military action, as needed. The post-JCPOA sanctions have been more effective than ever before. Strategically, I agree with those who advocate waiting for Iran to do more stupid things, which they're prone to as we've just seen this week...twice...and bring on more of our UN "friends" to enforce every measure we put in play.

It's not only important for the current administration to do so in light of the immediacy concerning Iran, but sends a message to DPRK that we don't have to attack you militarily to destroy you.

The people of Iran will be much more receptive to changing their own circumstances if President Trump is reelected.
__________________
“Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re"

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Reply With Quote
  #527  
Old 19 July 2019, 10:57
Armageddon's Avatar
Armageddon Armageddon is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 367
No problem!
__________________
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Reply With Quote
  #528  
Old 19 July 2019, 13:15
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 13,869
You're looking for logic, from governments? Hahahahahaha!

Just look at this thread - you got dudes pissed off 39 years after they took hostages, yet will tell you that none of *them* were pissed off, 26 years after the CIA and MI6 overthrew their leader and installed the Shah and Savak. All of Ajax has been declassified on history.state.gov

If you do a media bias check on Foreign Policy (foreignpolicy.com) they come up right down the middle, they lead off with this after all of Ajax was released:

Quote:
Declassified documents released last week shed light on the Central Intelligence Agency’s central role in the 1953 coup that brought down Iranian Prime Minister Muhammad Mossadegh, fueling a surge of nationalism which culminated in the 1979 Iranian Revolution and poisoning U.S.-Iran relations into the 21st century.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/20...an-tehran-oil/

Our biggest problem is we can *never* admit that we fuck up. Yes, that country's leadership are a bunch of fundamentalist whack jobs, so as it sits - fuck them. But we got where we've been (on both sides) because of British oil in 1953.
__________________
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Reply With Quote
  #529  
Old 19 July 2019, 13:38
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 6,432
^^^ Sad but true. But I still like an occasional bombing, shoot down, something blowing up there to keep me happy.
__________________
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody...

Karl Childers
Reply With Quote
  #530  
Old 19 July 2019, 15:27
CAVmedic CAVmedic is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,483
Another Oil Tanker Veers into Iranian Waters

So, it looks like these oil tankers seem to get real careless around the Strait of Hormuz, drifting into Iranian territory and turning off their trackers.

I remember an article about GPS spoofing and some people saying that was nonsense. Either that or the IRGC boat teams are taking down vessels now?

This tanker, and the UAE tanker that was supposedly first broken down, then accused of smugling oil into Iranian territory.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49053383
Reply With Quote
  #531  
Old 19 July 2019, 17:01
WGH0922 WGH0922 is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,124
Maybe they can send the new 007 to rescue the crew.
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 19 July 2019, 17:48
SN's Avatar
SN SN is offline
Old and Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: The GREAT State of Texas
Posts: 4,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
So, it looks like these oil tankers seem to get real careless around the Strait of Hormuz, drifting into Iranian territory and turning off their trackers.

I remember an article about GPS spoofing and some people saying that was nonsense. Either that or the IRGC boat teams are taking down vessels now?

This tanker, and the UAE tanker that was supposedly first broken down, then accused of smugling oil into Iranian territory.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49053383
Well, we now know Iran is hijacking oil tankers.
Fail on the Royal Navy's part (unless they withdrew, then fail on the PM's part).
__________________
FISHDO
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 19 July 2019, 18:15
Max Power Max Power is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: KS
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
You're looking for logic, from governments? Hahahahahaha!

Just look at this thread - you got dudes pissed off 39 years after they took hostages, yet will tell you that none of *them* were pissed off, 26 years after the CIA and MI6 overthrew their leader and installed the Shah and Savak. All of Ajax has been declassified on history.state.gov

If you do a media bias check on Foreign Policy (foreignpolicy.com) they come up right down the middle, they lead off with this after all of Ajax was released:



https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/20...an-tehran-oil/

Our biggest problem is we can *never* admit that we fuck up. Yes, that country's leadership are a bunch of fundamentalist whack jobs, so as it sits - fuck them. But we got where we've been (on both sides) because of British oil in 1953.
Yep. The Middle East is a colossal cluster of western countries' making. Same with Africa, except they're just not quite as important on a global scale (yet).

My problem, right now, is that there is a 3-way fight to be the regional hegemon in the Middle East between Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Iran. Plus, Russia and China can use that fight as a proxy against the US. Not to mention they can play every side against the other on any given day because relationships over there are such a spaghetti chart.

Anyway, Middle East is a shit show. We ("western" countries) have made sure of it by prior actions. Ultimately, we continue to ensure that it is even worth giving a shit about by creating our own existential problem sets in the region so we can't extricate ourselves efficiently. Just a complete shit show.
__________________
"… what is great in man is that he is a bridge and not an end."
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 19 July 2019, 18:33
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is online now
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 11,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Supporting KSA militarily to get rid of Iran isn't a viable longterm solution. It's more US foreign policy shortsightedness, whether we're doing it overtly or covertly. The House of Saud is a strategic economic and military ally that wouldn't survive without our continued funding. We've seen what the majority of the country's feelings towards us more than just on 9/11.

The same can be said about Jordan and to an extent Israel, though the latter has a different context.

Nothing says we cannot maintain the sanctions and play the long-game with only minor military action, as needed. The post-JCPOA sanctions have been more effective than ever before. Strategically, I agree with those who advocate waiting for Iran to do more stupid things, which they're prone to as we've just seen this week...twice...and bring on more of our UN "friends" to enforce every measure we put in play.

It's not only important for the current administration to do so in light of the immediacy concerning Iran, but sends a message to DPRK that we don't have to attack you militarily to destroy you.

The people of Iran will be much more receptive to changing their own circumstances if President Trump is reelected.
Pretty much. The sanctions are working verywell actually, as they were intended to do. It’s a waiting game with a limited bitch slap when Iran gets to out of line now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Yep. The Middle East is a colossal cluster of western countries' making. Same with Africa, except they're just not quite as important on a global scale (yet).

My problem, right now, is that there is a 3-way fight to be the regional hegemon in the Middle East between Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Iran. Plus, Russia and China can use that fight as a proxy against the US. Not to mention they can play every side against the other on any given day because relationships over there are such a spaghetti chart.

Anyway, Middle East is a shit show. We ("western" countries) have made sure of it by prior actions. Ultimately, we continue to ensure that it is even worth giving a shit about by creating our own existential problem sets in the region so we can't extricate ourselves efficiently. Just a complete shit show.
You get that fancy book learnin’s in KS? And here I thought those courses were worthless
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 19 July 2019, 18:52
Five-O's Avatar
Five-O Five-O is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philly:Nightwork
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Yep. The Middle East is a colossal cluster of western countries' making. Same with Africa, except they're just not quite as important on a global scale (yet).

My problem, right now, is that there is a 3-way fight to be the regional hegemon in the Middle East between Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Iran. Plus, Russia and China can use that fight as a proxy against the US. Not to mention they can play every side against the other on any given day because relationships over there are such a spaghetti chart.

Anyway, Middle East is a shit show. We ("western" countries) have made sure of it by prior actions. Ultimately, we continue to ensure that it is even worth giving a shit about by creating our own existential problem sets in the region so we can't extricate ourselves efficiently. Just a complete shit show.
It isn't hard to imagine the West to have a formal destabilizing policy precisely to keep one player in the ME and Africa from becoming too powerful. An occasional war/police action/air strike to check a strongman seems to be the cost of doing business.
__________________
Suicide Hotline: 1.800.273.8255
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 19 July 2019, 21:32
Max Power Max Power is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: KS
Posts: 3,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
You get that fancy book learnin’s in KS? And here I thought those courses were worthless
Hahaha!!

You should've been a fly on the wall that year, brother. It was... I don't even know what to say.
__________________
"… what is great in man is that he is a bridge and not an end."
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 19 July 2019, 22:11
litepath's Avatar
litepath litepath is offline
I reckon so. . .
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ga.
Posts: 3,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Were you around in 79/80? How about the Beirut bombings that killed over 200 Marines?

Nevermind. Switzerland.

Yea, I got a hard on for the MF'rs. Die.
Yeah, I was. And I admit to despising the little fucks running around little creek with those 9 chevrons (LOL) running down their sleeves and driving them caddies. I truly hated them. Of course, those were the Shahs folks.

Then they took hostages. And then my hate festered.

So despite the inherited politics of administrations past, we're in the here and now. And I'm still alive.


Did I mention I love the USMC killing their fucking drone? Yep! Shut them down. And do it the easy way.
__________________
"I don't underrate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail."
–Ulysses S. Grant
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018