SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 2 September 2015, 10:27
Been There Done That

CRSC Benefits you should know about! Apply Now!

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC)

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is an amount of money that a combat veteran receives each month in addition to whatever benefits they are receiving from the military and the VA. This is an exception to the general rule that prohibits a veteran from receiving payment from both the Department of Defense and the VA. The amount of the payment is based on several factors including; years of service, retired pay base, gross retirement pay, and combined disability rating of combat related service-connected conditions. Also, note that CRSC payments are not taxed.
CRSC is available to eligible veterans for certain injuries or conditions that are combat related. This can be broken down into three elements: (1) eligible veteran; (2) eligible conditions or injuries; and (3) conditions or injuries that are combat-related.
Who is an eligible veteran? To be eligible for CRSC, a veteran must be entitled to retired pay from a military service branch as a result of being medically retired, or as the result of serving at least 20 years. A deceased veteran is not eligible for CRSC. However, if a veteran applied for CRSC benefits before their death, the veteran’s estate is entitled to the CRSC benefits that would have been paid to the veteran.
What are eligible conditions or injuries? The only disabilities that are eligible are service connected disabilities that have at least a 10% rating.
What are combat-related conditions or injuries? The eligible conditions or injuries must be combat-related in order for the veteran to be entitled to CRSC. The following disabilities qualify as combat-related for purposes of CRSC: injuries incurred as a direct result of armed conflict; injuries incurred through an instrumentality of war; injuries incurred in the performance of duty under conditions simulating war; injuries incurred while engaged in hazardous service; and injuries for which the veteran was awarded the Purple Heart. Also, disabilities that were service connected based on a presumption of service connection will be presumed to be combat-related. Lastly, some secondary conditions can be considered combat-related if the primary service connected disability was considered combat-related.
A veteran can submit an application for CRSC at any time. However, be aware that CRSC is subject to a 6 year statute of limitations. This means that in order to receive full retroactive CRSC entitlement, the veteran must file their CRSC application within 6 years of the date of any rating decision that would potentially make them eligible for CRSC, or within 6 years of the date they become entitled to retirement pay, whichever is more recent. The effective date of the CRSC award is the date the veteran became legally entitled to the award. The following is a table that shows different effective dates and the corresponding eligibility criteria.
Effective Date Eligibility Criteria
June 1, 2003 At least 20 years of service AND receiving service connected disability compensation for a disability for which the veteran had been awarded a Purple Heart has combat related disabilities that are rated at least 60% disabling.
January 1, 2004 At least 20 years of service AND receiving service connected disability compensation for a disability for which the veteran had been awarded a Purple Heart OR receiving service connected compensation for a disability that is combat related.
January 1, 2008 At least 20 years of service OR less than 20 years of service and medically retired AND receiving service connected disability compensation for a disability for which the veteran had been awarded a Purple Heart OR receiving service connected compensation for a disability that is combat related.

To apply for CRSC, a veteran needs to file a DD Form 2860. A veteran should also file any DD 214s/215s, and all complete VA rating decisions, VA physician reports, and VA medical records. It is also beneficial to file any other medical records, award certificates and/or narratives, service medical records, military orders, and physical evaluation board proceedings.
Old 19 February 2016, 08:45
The Sagacious One

I filed one of these 2 years ago. Do they pay you more money? Or so they just not withhold your disability from your retirement?
Old 19 February 2016, 08:48
Shakin' the bush Boss

If you're under 50% VA you get both. If you're over 50 you have to make an election to take either your VA disability or your CRSC. Two years ago is a long time. When I did my CRSC claim back in '10ish it only took a couple of months.
Old 19 February 2016, 08:55
Been There Done That

Gsniper
I'm 60% VA, 50% CRSC. I get a full 50% CRSC Check (non-taxable) and my 60% VA check. What this does is I only get my Mil Retirement check minus the VA check amount (taxable)(offset).
Does this make sense? If anyone needs a better explantion PM me.

Now theres also CRDP........
Old 19 February 2016, 09:01
Shakin' the bush Boss

Odd, I had to make an election on whether I wanted CRDP or CRSC, since my CRSC was only 10% I had to waive that to get CRDP. Confusing, complicated stuff.

TFG - I would run all of this by a competent VSO rep. I don't want to be the king of the bum-scoop!
Old 19 February 2016, 09:14
Been There Done That

Each year DFAS asks if you want to waive your CRSC for CRDP.
Better yet call the CRSC Folks at DFAS to get your answers to your questions. 1-800 321-1080.

From the DFAS Website:
To qualify for CRSC you must:
•be entitled to and/or receiving military retired pay
•be rated at least 10 percent by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA)
•waive your VA pay from your retired pay
•file a CRSC application with your Branch of Service
Old 19 February 2016, 09:19
Shakin' the bush Boss

Based on my limited interaction, the CRSC process was extremely quick compared to the VA process. Not a huge amount of paperwork and resolved quickly. That's why I was concerned about the two year part, they're usually on it pretty quick.
Old 19 February 2016, 09:29
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Based on my limited interaction, the CRSC process was extremely quick compared to the VA process.
Yep - my CRSC only took a few months to get a decision about 5-6 years ago. TBH I still don't really understand how it all works. Lol

I am 80% and was awarded 30% CRSC. I take the CRDP because in doing so I receive about 1300 more a month. Even with CRSC being tax free CRDP is still the best way for me to go.
Old 19 February 2016, 10:10
Authorized Personnel

CRSC was so quick for me, I can't even recall any issues or how I actually signed up for it.

Old 16 August 2018, 20:24
Been There Done That

I hit the search function and was overwhelmed by the number of hits.

A few years ago, the CRSC sites had a sample letter. Take it to your MTF or VA and have them reply. Basically said that your military medical jacket was reviewed and that it is More likely than not that you (rated) disability was combat related.

Anybody got a sample of that letter? I can't find it on the CRSC component sites and got a Brother that is trying to get his VA ratings accepted as combat related.
Old 16 August 2018, 21:47
Never to old to learn

Try this web link

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary...lyforcrsc.html
Old 16 August 2018, 21:52
Been There Done That

It's not on any of the current links.

Looking for the "old" letter circa 2010.
Old 19 August 2018, 08:25
Been There Done That

Is it this form (12e)

file:///Users/maryanntopp/Downloads/CRSC%20Reconsideration%20Request%20Form%20Apr%2020 16.pdf
Old 19 August 2018, 09:27
Been There Done That

Stopp700,
Thank you, but the Form 12e is not the one.
Past versions of the CRSC policy had language, IIRC - We understand that there are deserving members who will not be able to substantiate their CRSC claim. (or words to that effect). It went on to explain, that a claimant needed a causation determination from either a Military Treatment Facility (MTF), or the VA, that said the injury/disease was probably caused by one of the CRSC authorization criteria. The older versions had a sample form letter that the claimant could take to a MTF or the VA to get the required nexus into a form that would allow CRSC to be granted. The sample form letter also had language that the MTF or VA had to state the member's service medical records were reviewed before providing the letter.

Hypo issue: SGT Jones' foot is crushed when he was run over by a tank tread. He has permanent disability. When he got to the field hospital he was not conscious, and the intake put "foot crushed in vehicle accident" into his medical jacket. Jones was treated but the actual cause of his injury was not plainly stated in the SMJ. Years later, Jones applies for CRSC and is denied because with the language provided, Jones can not meet his burden to prove that his foot injury was caused by an instrumentality of war. CRSC can not accept "buddy statements" and can only use medical records when granting or denying CRSC/

The purpose of the form letter is to get either the MTF or VA doctors to assess the disability and state that they have looked over Jones' medical record and that his crushed foot was probably the result of a tank tread running over his foot. If they can't, Jones is one of those deserving vets who cannot prove his claim for CRSC.....
Old 19 August 2018, 12:06
Been There Done That

Can you back door the CRSC Folks and do a Buddy Letter to the VA to ask them to amend their Decision Letter to state the Tank ran his foot over in an FTX?
Old 19 August 2018, 16:34
Swimming Upstream

Mine just came back. Almost a year. Denied.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 19 August 2018, 16:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Can you back door the CRSC Folks and do a Buddy Letter to the VA to ask them to amend their Decision Letter to state the Tank ran his foot over in an FTX?
Thanks Brother. Fact is, if either VA or the MTF will state the injury is caused by one of the CRSC requirements (war, instrumentality of war, simulated war conditions etc.) it SHOULD work.... Big problem with military records - they often only say you were hurt but don't say how you were hurt. Furthermore, if the VA or MTF mentions a buddy statement, that in itself is a "no no" under CRSC policy.

In the hypo, the "could haves" include Roach Coaches, MWR buses, the CO's sedan, etc. Got to prove a tank - but examination of injuries is a valid and accepted method - if the Doc says so, CRSC will accept it. VA or MTF Doc says, "Examination of Jones foot reveals injuries most likely caused by a tracked, rather than wheeled vehicle. I have reviewed Jones' military medical records as part of my examination." (or words to that effect) should work. But as with any bureaucracy, I would rather he put it on THE form, just to make sure it goes thru.

I'm still trying to come up with the old form letter.

CRSC can go back 6 years, and generally when presenting claims to the federal government, if criteria changes during the claim period, the claimant can get consideration under (the new and the old) criteria and will be given the benefit of whichever is more advantageous.

I'm looking elsewhere, too - but I've learned that SOCNET is a true resource.

v/r
fkl
Old 19 August 2018, 17:32
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Mine just came back. Almost a year. Denied.
Did they give a reason for the denial, or is it just "denied?"
Old 19 August 2018, 19:25
Swimming Upstream

Although my records show I was injured while in the field...that apparently is not enough for them. They said so. I don't quite see why it's not enough...since that is "simulating war," but I just don't have enough energy to fuss over it, for 20%.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 19 August 2018, 19:27
Administrator

What is the benefit of CRSC if I get my full retirement and VA pay each month? Is this CRDP?

Thanks

Our new posting rules