SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 17 September 2018, 22:08
Never to old to learn

Sheriff's deputy dies after shooting in Rancho Cordova

A Sacramento Deputy Sheriff was killed to day about 1:45 P.M.
information below.

A Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department deputy died from gunshot wounds Monday after responding to a call in Rancho Cordova.

Deputy Mark Stasyuk, 27, had been with the department for four and a half years, according to Sheriff Scott Jones.

Stasyuk and another deputy responded to a call for service around 1:44 p.m. from employees at the Pep Boys near Folsom Boulevard and McGregor Drive, according to Sheriff's Department spokesman Shaun Hampton.

When they arrived, a suspect shot at the deputies

Stasyuk was shot in the upper body, Jones said. The second deputy -- 28-year-old Julie Robertson -- was shot in the arm. She is expected to make a full recovery, Jones said.

The shooting spanned two locations, starting at Pep Boys and then spilling over to a nearby parking lot west of the store.
A bystander and the suspect were also struck by gunfire.
Their conditions are unknown, officials said early Monday evening.
Folsom Boulevard between Zinfandel Drive and Kilgore Road, Cordova Lane between Alandale Way and Folsom Boulevard, Alandale Way between Cordova Lane and Scotsman Way, and Le Ann Drive between Don Juan Drive and Cordova Lane are closed, according to Rancho Cordova police. Police asked drivers to use alternate routes.

No other details have been released.

RIB Deputy Mark Stasyuk
Old 17 September 2018, 22:10
Authorized Personnel

Rest In Peace, Deputy Stasyuk and thank you for your service!
Old 17 September 2018, 22:21
Anesthetized User

He looks like he’s about 10 yo.

RIP.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 18 September 2018, 00:59
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Vale.
Old 18 September 2018, 03:52
Authorized Personnel

Rest in peace.
Old 18 September 2018, 06:55
Been There Done That

Lest we forget....
Old 18 September 2018, 07:02
Been There Done That

RIP. Thank you for your service to the community. Condolences to family and friends.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 18 September 2018, 07:10
Been There Done That

Rest in Peace........

One sheriff's deputy was killed and another was wounded Monday after a shootout with a suspect in Sacramento County, California.

Deputy Mark Stasyuk, 27, was fatally shot in Rancho Cordova, Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department said in a press release late Monday evening. He was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at a nearby hospital.

Deputy Julie Robertson, 28, was reportedly shot in the arm, and is in stable condition.

A bystander was also shot during the incident, but is expected to recover.

The suspect, who was also taken to a hospital, was awake and speaking after the shooting, Fox 2 KTVU reported.

The two officers were responding to a disturbance call at a local business around 2 p.m., and were given “no indication that the suspect was armed or dangerous,” according to the press release.

Neither deputy was wearing a body camera during the shooting, the station reported.

The sheriff's department did not immediately respond to Fox News' inquires about the incident.

Another deputy with the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department was killed and two California Highway Patrol officers were injured in August 2017 as they investigated a car-theft ring.

"It's an incredible hole that never quite gets filled in the hearts of our department," Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones said, according to the station.

Stasyuk, who had been with the department for almost five years, is survived by his wife, as well as his mother, father and sister. Robertson has been there for two and a half.

Fox News' Benjamin Brown and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Nicole Darrah covers breaking and trending news for FoxNews.com. Follow her on Twitter @nicoledarrah.
Old 18 September 2018, 11:03
Clorox bearer for SOTB

RIP Brother.

To all those out there still on the job... if you are going to assume anything, assume that someone on your next call is going to try to kill you. At some point, you will be right.

On all "disturbance" or domestic calls, we always parked somewhere that was not visible to the people, and walked in. This gives you time to determine what is going on, instead of rolling up and finding out the hard way. There were many domestic type situations where we were outside the house and neither people knew we were there, and we would hear all sorts of useful things, like the wives yelling at the husbands that "when the cops get here I'm going to tell them you XXXXX me and you are going to jail..." It's also easier, when you observe for a few minutes, who the real problem is. You can get a better handle on what is really going on.

So, count this as an educational experience, as we do with other OIS, and assume there is someone there that wants to do you harm. I did the same thing whenever I transported a prisoner. Assume that they are, at some point, going to try to either escape, or kill you. I had a guy actually tell me when he got to jail that was his exact plan, but he never had the chance due to my conduct during the whole transport. Never take your eyes off them, and never turn your back on them. Also, never allow someone to get back to their vehicle if you have arrested them, or are trying to arrest them. They are not going there to get a bouquet of flowers for you. Assume there's a weapon and act accordingly.

Be safe out there, and get home.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 18 September 2018, 11:05
sterious scizor

RIP brother
Old 18 September 2018, 13:34
Been There Done That

RIP Deputy Stasyuk. Condolences to his family and friends. Prayers for a rapid and full recovery for Deputy Robertson.
Old 18 September 2018, 13:39
Authorized Personnel

RIP Deputy Stasyuk. Prayers for Deputy Robertson's speedy recovery.
Old 18 September 2018, 19:32
Confirmed User

RIP Brother.
Old 18 September 2018, 23:12
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

RIP Deputy
Old 19 September 2018, 14:23
Anesthetized User

A face to the name.
Attached Images
File Type: png 85204B7A-B77C-4E05-AFE2-4274D0BEC448.png (297.0 KB, 76 views)

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 19 September 2018, 15:51
Did...did I do that?

Too young. RIP son.
Old 19 September 2018, 23:11
Time is a flat circle

RIP

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 20 September 2018, 09:55
Nexus Schemer

RIP, so young. May your team and family find solace and peace.
Old 20 September 2018, 16:45
Been There Done That

Rest in Peace, Deputy.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 20 September 2018, 17:07
Good Medicine, Bad Places

RIP Brother.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did.

Our new posting rules