SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 13 October 2018, 12:21
Confirmed User

43 yr old Cold Case

I know pretty much nothing about investigations so I figured someone here might know more than I.

https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/c...e-went-missing

https://fox11digital.com/news/PDFs/R...-complaint.pdf

This 82 yr old male has been arrested for killing his wife 43 yrs ago. Reading the criminal complaint, he probably did it but there is no evidence in the criminal complaint as far as I can tell, just hearsay.

Do they not put evidence in a criminal complaint?

My wild ass guess is they are arresting him in hoping he'll just want to confess. Is that guess far off?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 13 October 2018, 12:34
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post

My wild ass guess is they are arresting him in hoping he'll just want to confess. Is that guess far off?
Evidence, no...some sort of statement of probable cause, generally. As has been famously said, "You can indict a ham sandwich." Getting a conviction is not quite so easy.
Old 13 October 2018, 12:48
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
I know pretty much nothing about investigations so I figured someone here might know more than I.

https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/c...e-went-missing

https://fox11digital.com/news/PDFs/R...-complaint.pdf

This 82 yr old male has been arrested for killing his wife 43 yrs ago. Reading the criminal complaint, he probably did it but there is no evidence in the criminal complaint as far as I can tell, just hearsay.

All I can figure is the key witnesses gave some very compiling testimony giving the amount of time that has passed.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 13 October 2018, 12:51
Policeman Officer

No statute of limitations on murder. I know a detective whose pet project is investigating his own grandmother's disappearance, trying to prove his grandfather murdered her. He has diaries from the time, a timeline of events and some other stuff. He's searched for her body and intends to get an ancient remains dog out to the property where he suspects her body is hidden.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 14 October 2018, 08:47
Confirmed User

Thanks for the responses!

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 14 October 2018, 22:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
No statute of limitations on murder. I know a detective whose pet project is investigating his own grandmother's disappearance, trying to prove his grandfather murdered her. He has diaries from the time, a timeline of events and some other stuff. He's searched for her body and intends to get an ancient remains dog out to the property where he suspects her body is hidden.

My spouse unit is in to the forensics shows, so I end up watching a few. Its amazing how new technologies in things like ground penetrating radar, dna, etc. are solving more and more of these.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 14 October 2018, 22:46
Policeman Officer

I'm addicted to all those fucking shows, podcasts, etc.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 25 October 2018, 06:04
Confirmed User

This guy's house has been torn down. If he is found not guilty does anyone pay to rebuild his house or is he fucked?

https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/p...aUnZhCnm-UnBzc

Winston Churchill

Maynard James Keenan

Our new posting rules