SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > MarSoc

Old 24 May 2008, 06:35
Administrator

No charges for 2 MarSoc officers.

I deleted an earlier post about this since the person posting assumed a few things he didn't know about.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...marine_052308/

General Helland is GTG. He has a good bit of combat experience himself, including service while enlisted in SF. He served in VN and is mentioned in the Plaster books as well.

Last edited by Silverbullet; 24 May 2008 at 09:29.
Old 24 May 2008, 09:26
Confirmed User

It is a shame the two officers and their famlies had to be put through this ordeal......for doing their jobs.
Old 24 May 2008, 11:03
BTDT

No Shit

Quote:
The Marines, however, said “administrative, manning and training issues” related to the incident were uncovered by the court’s investigation. Those unspecified issues have been forwarded to the commander of the Marine Corps’s special operations command for action.
It has been accepted for years that the training cycle for a deployment is 12-18 months depending on what shape a given platoon is in at the word "go". That's drawing from an existing unit that has everything in place from admin to equipment to working relationships with the commands they are supposed to support. Yet some bunch of brain surgeons decided that it was reasonable to start a new unit from scratch and deploy them in 6-7 months. Can it be done? Sure. But to then try to screw the trigger-pullers for some perceived shortcoming is completely unsat.

If there is any blame to be laid as a result of the incident in question it rest squarely on the shoulders of the decision makers and bean counters both in the Marine Corps and SOCOM. Not with the men on the ground who delivered an appropriate response to the situation.

Tax out

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 24 May 2008, 13:48
Authorized Personnel

I'm glad they finally closed this one down.
Semper Fi

-Gunstore Commando-
Old 24 May 2008, 14:10
Whatever Sucks the Most

Not loading for me overseas. Can someone post the article?

Thanks.
Old 24 May 2008, 14:20

No charges for 2 Marines in Afghan deaths

By Estes Thompson - The Associated Press
Posted : Friday May 23, 2008 16:20:37 EDT

RALEIGH, N.C. — Two Marine officers in a unit that was accused of killing as many as 19 Afghan civilians in 2007 will not face criminal charges, the military said Friday.

Lt. General Samuel Helland, the commander of U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Central Command, made the decision not to bring charges after reviewing the findings of a special tribunal that heard more than three weeks of testimony in January at Camp Lejeune.

The tribunal investigated allegations that as many as 19 Afghan civilians died when a unit of Marines special operations troops opened fire after a car bomb targeted their convoy in March 2007 in Nangahar Province.

The Marines said Helland determined the Marines in the convoy “acted appropriately and in accordance with the rules of engagement and tactics, techniques and procedures in place at the time in response to a complex attack.”

It was the first time in more than 50 years the Marines empanelled a Court of Inquiry. The panel, composed of two Marine Corps colonels and a lieutenant colonel, only considered the actions of the company’s commander, 38-year-old Maj. Fred C. Galvin of the Kansas City area, and a platoon leader, Capt. Vincent J. Noble, 29, of Philadelphia.

“Obviously, I am delighted about the findings,” said civilian attorney Knox Nunnally, who represented Noble before the Court of Inquiry. “From a legal standpoint, it was overwhelming that this was going to be the result.”

The Marines, however, said “administrative, manning and training issues” related to the incident were uncovered by the court’s investigation. Those unspecified issues have been forwarded to the commander of the Marine Corps’s special operations command for action.

The Corps also said Galvin, Noble and a third officer — Capt. Robert Olsen — will face administrative actions. It was not immediately clear what those actions might be.

Citing witness accounts, Afghanistan’s Independent Human Rights Commission concluded the Marines fired indiscriminately at vehicles and pedestrians in six different locations on a 10-mile stretch of road. Nearly a dozen Marines told the court they heard gunfire after the bombing and called the unit’s fire a disciplined response to a well-planned ambush.

Galvin and several other Marines were sent back to Camp Lejeune after the shooting. The rest of the unit was ordered to leave Afghanistan and returned to the ships of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit in the Persian Gulf.

An Army investigation later concluded that 50 people were injured and 19 were killed. The brigade commander in charge of regular forces in the province publicly apologized for the shootings, saying he was ashamed of what had happened.

But a week later, Marine Corps commandant Gen. James T. Conway said the Army officer shouldn’t have apologized because an investigation into what occurred was still ongoing. Nunnally has said he believes three to five people died and less than 19 were injured.

“This is a concurrence that all the Marines on the patrol did the right thing,” said Galvin’s civilian lawyer, Mark Waple.
Old 24 May 2008, 14:32
Whatever Sucks the Most

Thanks.
Old 24 May 2008, 14:46
civilian hater

Good to hear. I went to high school with Fred Galvin for one year at Rockhurst high school here in Kansas City. Am also good friends with his nephew. Have not talked to him personally but hope he is doing well.
Old 24 June 2008, 16:37
Semper Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdog View Post
Good to hear. I went to high school with Fred Galvin for one year at Rockhurst high school here in Kansas City. Am also good friends with his nephew. Have not talked to him personally but hope he is doing well.
Murdog, if he's ever on leave while I'm home it would be nice to get us all together. The beer would be on me.:D
Old 25 June 2008, 02:21
Confirmed User

Were the 19 killed ever proven?

I was in JBad at the time this happened, and this Unit got hit in that same spot repeatedly in that month alone. It wasn't exactly a safe area...
Old 20 January 2009, 10:39
Confirmed User

Sums It Up?

Katie Couric, Charlie Gibson, Brian Williams and a tough old U.S. Marine Sergeant were captured by terrorists in Iraq.

The leader of the terrorists told them he'd grant each of them one last request before

they were beheaded and dragged naked through the streets.

Katie Couric said,

'Well, I'm a Southerner, so I'd like one last plate of fried chicken.'

The leader nodded to an underling who left and returned with the chicken.

Couric ate it all and said, 'Now I can die content.'

Charlie Gibson said,

'I'm living in ' New York, so I'd like to hear the song, The Moon and Me, one last time.'

The terrorist leader nodded to another terrorist who had studied the Western world and knew the music.

He returned with some rag-tag musicians and played the song.

Gibson was satisfied.

Brian Williams said,

'I'm a reporter to the end. I want to take out my tape recorder and describe the scene here and what's about to happen.

Maybe, someday, someone will hear it and know that I was on the job till the end.'

The leader directed an aide to hand over the tape recorder and Williams dictated his comments.

He then said, 'Now I can die happy.'

The leader turned and said,

'And now, Mr. U.S. Marine, what is your final wish?

'Kick me in the ass,' said the Marine.

'What?' asked the leader, 'Will you mock us in your last hour?'

'No, I'm NOT kidding. I want you to kick me in the ass,' insisted the Marine.

So the leader shoved him into the yard and kicked him in the ass.

The Marine went sprawling, but rolled to his knees,

pulled a 9 mm pistol from inside his cammies and shot the leader dead.

In the resulting confusion, he emptied his sidearm on six terrorists,

then with his knife he slashed the throat of one, and with an AK-47, which he took,

sprayed the rest of the terrorists killing another 11.

In a flash, all of them were either dead or fleeing for their lives.

As the Marine was untying Couric, Gibson, and Williams, they asked him,

'Why didn't you just shoot them all in the first place?

Why did you ask him to kick you in the ass?'

'What?' replied the Marine, 'and have you three assholes report that I was the aggressor....?

Semper Fi!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880
Old 20 January 2009, 16:37
Confirmed User

lmao...
Old 21 January 2009, 13:07
Confirmed User

Great news. It's great that CMC General Conway isn't sorry that the Marines kicked ass and survived the ambush.
Semper Fi
Old 25 January 2009, 00:13

more at http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.o...hemselves.aspx
Old 4 February 2009, 02:25

Reimbursement

Out of my lane (beer will do that)...It is good to see the system works, bad that it took so long, and I hope that the Marines are reimbursed for any out of pocket expenses legal related for doing the job.

Back to lurking.

-Doc
Old 4 February 2009, 23:38
Confirmed User

I think a Grunt Corpsman is in the correct lane here.

Last edited by heavyguns1/1; 4 February 2009 at 23:39. Reason: Corpsman probably rates to be capitalized
Old 10 April 2009, 22:11
Confirmed User

As I recall, an Army General in the chain of cmmand went running his mouth shortly after this about how the Marine's screwed up and a few other comments.
Army Maj. Gen. Frank Kearney, then head of Special Operations Forces at U.S. Central Command, ordered the company out of Afghanistan. That created an inter-service dust up when the first MARSOC commander, Maj. Gen. Dennis J. Hejlik, criticized the decision in the press.

Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James T. Conway backed him up and called an Army officer’s issuance of an official apology and condolence payments to victims’ families “premature” since an investigation was still underway. MARSOC said the convoy was fired upon after the detonation.

Last edited by Macka; 10 April 2009 at 22:14.

Our new posting rules