SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 26 April 2000, 16:04
Confirmed User

Snipers

On Candian Forces recruiting information, you see that infantry soldiers can further specialize in sniping. I was just curious if anyone knows the extent of a CF forces sniper's training. Is it anything that resembles Marine Corp Scout/Sniper Training? How are snipers incorporated into the combat unit.
Old 27 April 2000, 00:09
Authorized Personnel

As far as I know there are two snipers per company which are members on the recce platoon of the battalion. Canada has never really been known for being big on snipers and letting the snipers practice their skills. Sniper training is very difficult in the Canadian Infantry and it is not something that you decide to become. First you need to be a very good shot with the C-7. Second you need to be asked to take the sniper course its not something you put in for like a jump course. Qualified snipers are a rare breed in the infantry, I've heard of soldiers who are not snipers serving as snipers due to the lack of men passing the sniper course.

Go to the Infantry School website at http://www.brunnet.net/infsch/
Old 1 May 2000, 19:41
Confirmed User

The basic CF sniper course is more similar to the Brit army course than USMC. Talking to a USMC sniper about this subject I got the impression that the Marines course is like sniper and advanced recce rolled together. For instance they do portions on comms, arty/air/naval gunfire support, target designation, OP's, etc. Hence the designation Scout/Sniper. I got a look at the CF snipers course manual and had a good laugh at the '70s pictures. The shooting serials are tough and passing grades are high. Focus is on marksmanship, concealment, nav, observation.
Old 1 May 2000, 22:26
Confirmed User

I have a copy of an old Sentinel from the early 90's - 1990 or 1991. It has a feature on the Army re-learning the forgotten art of sniping. Apprently sniping died out, and they had to re-learn it from the USMC, and to a lesser degree, the British.
A Reservist will never get it. Actually, I've never heard of a Reserves Infantry unit having a Recce platoon - anyone else heard of it?

Enfield
Old 2 May 2000, 00:21
Confirmed User

Isn't the RHLI's (Royal Hamilton Light Infantry) a recce oriented regiment?
Old 2 May 2000, 13:22
Confirmed User

Out in Western Area, there're running a basic sniper this fall. Chances of a reservist getting on it are zero. For all you CF reservists who want to do a USMC sniper course, contact Cpl Taylor USMC Scout/Sniper at ghillie@pomeroy-wa.com
Old 2 May 2000, 13:50
Confirmed User

There's a sniper course being run out in Gagetown as well. There's no way a Reservist would get onto a course, but Reservists can get positions helping out - logistics or support duties, pretty much anything besides student or instructor. A job like that came down the pipe to our unit. Just out of curiosity, any other Reserves unit's have a very distinct lack of summer employment and courses this year?

Cheers!
Enfield
Old 2 May 2000, 20:25
Authorized Personnel

Yeah its pretty well impossible for a reservist to get on a sniper course. The only QL4s offered to my Battalion this year is a drivers course and a machine gun course which I guess doesn't include the .50 cal. It was different of course during the Cold War when war fighting was taken a lot more seriously. Back in the good old days militia QL3 infantry courses were run by regular force instructors and courses like recce courses were available. Of well not much use bitching about it because the only change on the horizon seems to be for the worst from what I've seen.

Our new posting rules