SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 19 November 2019, 15:21
Confirmed User

GI Bill expires November 2020

I've got my Masters and I've got a few months left. Just looking for something interesting to use the last of my benefits on. Are there any shooting courses that use GI Bill? Any other ideas?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 19 November 2019, 15:40
Living The Grunt Life

Not sure if you saw this already or not, but wanted to throw it out there for ideas. One list also listed "gunsmithing" courses as being covered.

https://militarybenefits.info/post-9...nown-benefits/
Old 19 November 2019, 16:01
Shakin' the bush Boss

Go learn to fly a plane. That would be cool.
Old 19 November 2019, 16:14
Vivat Fraternitatis

If you're into climbing the American Alpine Institute accepts the GI Bill for their multi-course Mountaineering Instructor Certification.
Old 19 November 2019, 16:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Go learn to fly a plane. That would be cool.
I'd love to but unless someone knows how to get on a program that will pay for the private pilots license I can't.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 19 November 2019, 17:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
I'd love to but unless someone knows how to get on a program that will pay for the private pilots license I can't.
Liberty University has/had a bachelor's degree in aviation that includes a private pilots license.
Old 19 November 2019, 19:23
Been There Done That

Wilderness EMT through SOLO at their Conway, NH facility. That's how I got started on the path to Paramedic. I think I was their first after getting their VA approval.
Old 19 November 2019, 21:42
Authorized Personnel

Sonoran Desert Institute. Build up an 80% lower (AR-10, AR-15, 1911) and it is approved to be done with your GI Bill. I used my GI Bill to do the AAS in Firearms Technology. If you can't do the whole thing you can do the 80% builds, you won't get full housing reimbursement, but you will have the 80% build and a bit of knowledge when you are done. You might have time to do two of them...

www.sdi.edu
Old 20 November 2019, 00:25
Confirmed User

What's your masters in and what career are you doing/looking at?
Old 20 November 2019, 10:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Liberty University has/had a bachelor's degree in aviation that includes a private pilots license.
Thanks for that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
Wilderness EMT through SOLO at their Conway, NH facility. That's how I got started on the path to Paramedic. I think I was their first after getting their VA approval.
Got the Navy Reserves to pay for my Paramedic a long time ago, but thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
Sonoran Desert Institute. Build up an 80% lower (AR-10, AR-15, 1911) and it is approved to be done with your GI Bill. I used my GI Bill to do the AAS in Firearms Technology. If you can't do the whole thing you can do the 80% builds, you won't get full housing reimbursement, but you will have the 80% build and a bit of knowledge when you are done. You might have time to do two of them...

www.sdi.edu
Thanks, thats definitely something to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
What's your masters in and what career are you doing/looking at?
Well I was hoping to have a career as a Doggy Daddy, as my wife called it.We got surprised at my shitbag sister in law not caring about her boys, so now hoping to be a stay at home Dad to my 2 feral nephews that we adopted. Maybe just do some jobs on the side as my wife is slowly working her way to being a sugar momma!

Winston Churchill

Maynard James Keenan
Old 20 November 2019, 10:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
If you're into climbing the American Alpine Institute accepts the GI Bill for their multi-course Mountaineering Instructor Certification.
I already know about this and hoping I can do a course or 2.

Winston Churchill

Maynard James Keenan

Our new posting rules