SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 28 August 2019, 11:46
Chuck Norris Approved

HK SP5K pistol

Looking for a little assistance with the above mentioned weapon from experienced users of the MP5. This is a pistol configured weapon, not a rifle so please keep that in mind. Does anyone here have any type of qualification for the MP5 or above? Our detail just picked up an SP5K and now we are in discussion on best qualification method. I personally do not want to use the standard Ohio police pistol qual as I find it below average for what our guys should be able to shoot. Open to suggestions. PM if you’d like. Why we have that particular weapon is a bother topic.
Old 28 August 2019, 17:42
Rocket Surgeon

How are you planning to carry/deploy it? That's a significant consideration in your application. Every MP-5/Subgun qual I've seen or done has been shoulder-fire oriented, so borrowing one of those might not be a fit for you.

I'd be happy to help you design one specific to your needs. Just need to know a little about how you'll be carrying/deploying them, what the task and work environment are, etc. If it's a protective detail, I'd start with zero misses as a scoring requirement...

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 29 August 2019, 09:54
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
How are you planning to carry/deploy it? That's a significant consideration in your application. Every MP-5/Subgun qual I've seen or done has been shoulder-fire oriented, so borrowing one of those might not be a fit for you.

I'd be happy to help you design one specific to your needs. Just need to know a little about how you'll be carrying/deploying them, what the task and work environment are, etc. If it's a protective detail, I'd start with zero misses as a scoring requirement...

Thanks. Sent a PM
Old 29 August 2019, 19:57
Hard to Kill

I am kind of curious as to why an organization would buy these... but that said:

The old MP5K was designed to be used with one hand on the pistol grip vertical grip and one on the vertical grip. As this doesn't have the vertical grip, one would place their support hand on the forearm, behind the finger guard. They were also used with a sling, where you push out on the firearm and pull the sling tight, giving you a sort of anchor point.

Despite its ability to hold a 30 rd mag, no one I know has the viking sized hands to do a single handed mag change. I am sure you could shoot 19 rds from a G 17 mag, reload and shoot that many more in about the same time you could shoot 30 rds from the H&K. With a 4.35" barrel, you would get about the same muzzle velocity as a G 34.

The DOE has a subgun qualification course, however it uses some full auto / 3 rd burst stages. You could just use it in the semi auto mode. I have a copy of it if you want.
Old 30 August 2019, 07:17
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I am kind of curious as to why an organization would buy these...
Looks cool SB tactical makes braces for them possible option?
Old 30 August 2019, 08:44
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I am kind of curious as to why an organization would buy these... but that said:

The old MP5K was designed to be used with one hand on the pistol grip vertical grip and one on the vertical grip. As this doesn't have the vertical grip, one would place their support hand on the forearm, behind the finger guard. They were also used with a sling, where you push out on the firearm and pull the sling tight, giving you a sort of anchor point.

Despite its ability to hold a 30 rd mag, no one I know has the viking sized hands to do a single handed mag change. I am sure you could shoot 19 rds from a G 17 mag, reload and shoot that many more in about the same time you could shoot 30 rds from the H&K. With a 4.35" barrel, you would get about the same muzzle velocity as a G 34.

The DOE has a subgun qualification course, however it uses some full auto / 3 rd burst stages. You could just use it in the semi auto mode. I have a copy of it if you want.
Agreed on all accounts. They actually were not our first weapon of choice. We initially went with Wilson Combat AR9's that took Glock mags. Are T&E gun had zero issues. When we got our order in they had changed the trigger unit and we were getting a lot of bump fires from it. I think it was a training issue but we sold them and bought the HK. Unfortunately, I had no input in its selection. Yes, I would love to see a copy of that subgun course.
Old 30 August 2019, 08:45
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Looks cool SB tactical makes braces for them possible option?
At one time, ages ago, we actually had MP5 but someone decided to sell them. for some Bushmaster 5.56 pistols.
Old 31 August 2019, 23:09

DOE doesn't run that qual anymore, but I will try to find a copy of the course next chance I get.
Old 1 September 2019, 15:15
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
DOE doesn't run that qual anymore, but I will try to find a copy of the course next chance I get.
I didn't say they did. Does that make it any less useful than what he already has?
Old 6 September 2019, 08:32

Subgun qual is in the back. Oh wait, I can't attach anything.

Here's a link to the PDF: https://powerpedia.energy.gov/w/images/d/d3/Firearms_Qual_Courses%2C_July_2016.pdf
Old 8 September 2019, 21:13
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

I was just fondling one here at the NRA Personal Protection Expo in Ft. Worth. I have to admit it is still a very worthy weapon to consider for ownership, even if it no longer has a traditional paddle magazine release, but it is still a very smooth weapon. One of my favorite platforms for 9mm pistol carbine..
Old 9 September 2019, 17:53
BTDT

MP5 qual

Attached my recommendation, page 35.

Not sure if a HK SP5K would be allowed @ a local USPSA match, in the PCC category. Conceptually, if you spoke w/the match director, prior to the match, you might be able to work things out.

Mid or end State, you find out how bad you suck w/that configuration. Guys w/stocks, would eat your lunch...and, probably most of the pistol shooters.

Good shooting
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MAR-APR2004.pdf (1.90 MB, 9 views)
Old 9 September 2019, 19:34
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
Attached my recommendation, page 35.

Not sure if a HK SP5K would be allowed @ a local USPSA match, in the PCC category. Conceptually, if you spoke w/the match director, prior to the match, you might be able to work things out.

Mid or end State, you find out how bad you suck w/that configuration. Guys w/stocks, would eat your lunch...and, probably most of the pistol shooters.

Good shooting
Thanks for the information.

Our new posting rules