SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 11 September 2019, 05:05
Confirmed User

Vintage weapons shooting

This weekend I went to the range with my bro, and there was this contest named "Tir authentique à bras franc" in which everybody shoots the same gun, a straight-pull bolt action Schmidt–Rubin 1911 rifle (thus the "Authentique") with iron sight only, and in prone position without bipod or any shooting rest or bag (thus the "à bras franc") since you only have your own arms as a stand!...at a distance of 328 yards...
OMG!...That was badass!
First, my right shoulder still remembers it and it was a good reminder of how HARD it can be, to shoot an historical rifle at this distance without assitance (no rest/no scope)...
Helps you staying humble, I swear!
Anyone practicing this kind of shooting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911.jpg (44.1 KB, 451 views)
File Type: jpg BrasFranc.jpg (54.4 KB, 449 views)

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Old 11 September 2019, 10:05
Just fading away....

Vintage military matches

Look up the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) vintage military matches held in the U.S. Some of the antiques used: As issued M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, K-31 Schmidt, K-98, Springfield 1903A1 and A3, 30-40 U.S. Krag, M1917, Mosin Nagants, Fin 39s, etc. Vintage Sniper rifles such as the 1941 USMC Springfields and the 1903A4's Springfields, M1C and M1D Garands, .303 British Enfield mk 3 & 4, Ross Mark III sniper, Geweher 98 and Karbine 98, Type 38,97,99 Japanese, 6.5 Swede M41, Swiss M1931/42, USSR Mosin M1891/30 and Tokarev M 1938 and 1940, Yugo M1948 and VZ 24.........Just to mention a Few
Old 11 September 2019, 12:51
Moving Target

I bought 3 M38 Swedish Mauser back in the 90's at a "Roses" department store. I think they were $100.00. I had one that was a Husqvarna 1941. I wish I kept them all because they were in excellent condition and very accurate.
Old 12 September 2019, 02:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoreOutMarine View Post
Look up the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) vintage military matches held in the U.S. Some of the antiques used: As issued M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, K-31 Schmidt, K-98, Springfield 1903A1 and A3, 30-40 U.S. Krag, M1917, Mosin Nagants, Fin 39s, etc. Vintage Sniper rifles such as the 1941 USMC Springfields and the 1903A4's Springfields, M1C and M1D Garands, .303 British Enfield mk 3 & 4, Ross Mark III sniper, Geweher 98 and Karbine 98, Type 38,97,99 Japanese, 6.5 Swede M41, Swiss M1931/42, USSR Mosin M1891/30 and Tokarev M 1938 and 1940, Yugo M1948 and VZ 24.........Just to mention a Few
Looks interesting!...Do you know what kind of distance they're shooting at??

Old 12 September 2019, 13:33
Hard to Kill

I have a friend that collects mostly WW I and WW II relics. He passed me about 1300 hours of work one year and I gave him a 1917 bolt action rifle. One day we cracked open a can of M2 and shot the piss out of that thing. Very accurate and very low recoil for a 30.06 cartridge.

Recently, I stumbled across this beauty from a guy at the LGS. Dates to around 1930's or so. Shoots very well. Smooth trigger light recoil. I ordered some era correct stag grips for it. The 5 screw S&W Hand Eject 3rd Model 44 Special in Nickel plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190901_094922.jpg (46.5 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg 20190901_094853.jpg (44.5 KB, 363 views)

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 12 September 2019 at 13:34. Reason: grammar
Old 12 September 2019, 13:37
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
This weekend I went to the range with my bro, and there was this contest named "Tir authentique à bras franc" in which everybody shoots the same gun, a straight-pull bolt action Schmidt–Rubin 1911 rifle (thus the "Authentique") with iron sight only, and in prone position without bipod or any shooting rest or bag (thus the "à bras franc") since you only have your own arms as a stand!...at a distance of 328 yards...
OMG!...That was badass!
First, my right shoulder still remembers it and it was a good reminder of how HARD it can be, to shoot an historical rifle at this distance without assitance (no rest/no scope)...
Helps you staying humble, I swear!
Anyone practicing this kind of shooting?
The closest I come is driving around my pastures on my 4 wheeler, shooting my M1 Garand at steel targets on the range, typically 100 -200 meter shots. Back in the day, I would do it while my crew was at a horse show. In the evenings, I would binge watch Band of Brothers.
Old 12 September 2019, 18:57
Make a desert and call it peace.

There are the M1 Garand Match and the Springfield Match held at the National Matches at Camp Perry, OH.

Course of fire used to be 200yds, 30 rds; 10 offhand, 10 rapid sit, 10 slow prone. Issued ammo only. Haven't been for over 10 yrs, so not sure it's still the same. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 12 September 2019, 19:21
Freelancer

Nice wheel gun.
Old 13 September 2019, 03:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Recently, I stumbled across this beauty from a guy at the LGS. Dates to around 1930's or so. Shoots very well. Smooth trigger light recoil. I ordered some era correct stag grips for it. The 5 screw S&W Hand Eject 3rd Model 44 Special in Nickel plate.
^^^^
Gorgeous!

Old 16 September 2019, 13:45
Confirmed User

I have a K31 that is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. In addition to the GP11 ammo, I loaded some topped with 165gr Sierra Gamekings for fun.
I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it or count on defending the homestead.

However, my 50 year old eyes struggle with the notched iron sights. The range where I shoot allows me to take it out 200y and I can successfully hit steel but struggle with repeatable precision shots at that range.

I put a scout scope on my Garand (Vortex 2-7x32) and that magnification is a huge help.

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 16 September 2019 at 13:50.
Old 16 September 2019, 22:45
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
I have a K31 that is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. In addition to the GP11 ammo, I loaded some topped with 165gr Sierra Gamekings for fun.
I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it or count on defending the homestead.

However, my 50 year old eyes struggle with the notched iron sights. The range where I shoot allows me to take it out 200y and I can successfully hit steel but struggle with repeatable precision shots at that range.

I put a scout scope on my Garand (Vortex 2-7x32) and that magnification is a huge help.
Do you have a picture of the mount? I have a Garand in .308 I would like to add the scout scope to.
Old 17 September 2019, 02:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
THAT was the main problem in this historical experience! I'm 53 and I could barely see the target at 300 m, let alone have a sharp vision of it!
So putting the notched iron sight on it was more like letting myself be guided by "The Force"...

Old 17 September 2019, 02:49
Confirmed User

But for confortable target shooting, it's true that the K31 (coupled with the 7,5x55 Swiss) is one of the best plateform for the price! (you can buy them for less that 100$ here in Switzerland)
You just have to buy a modern chassis and that's it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k31-21-proto-04-1024x683.jpg (14.7 KB, 254 views)

Old 17 September 2019, 14:11
shiver me timbers

I recently picked up a S&W Victory Model (model 10) in .38 special. (Hold on loosely?)

I plan on firing it, I’m looking forward to it. It’s not a super rare revolver, there were many made, so it should be a good time.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions for me? I’m familiar with firing the 1911, and also the occasional glock and other semi auto handguns.

I’m not proficient by any means, and I do look forward to learning this new gun and getting up to speed.
Old 17 September 2019, 15:45
Been There Done That

Get a set of grips or grip adapter to fit your hand, greatly improves double action accuracy. Something like a pachmayer gripper pro or equivalent in K frame size, you don't say if it is a round or square butt but the make models to fit both. Carried various revolvers for my first ten years post military as LEO before the glock revolution.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 18 September 2019, 10:43
Confirmed User

My rifle club in Indiana had some awesome CMP and vintage sniper matches. I shot them a few times and it was always fun. Lots of retired guys out there devoting themselves to accuracy.
Old 22 November 2019, 14:32
Just fading away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
Looks interesting!...Do you know what kind of distance they're shooting at??
Sorry for answering your question late. The open (Iron) sight matches are at 200 yds: 10 rounds slow fire (Prone), 10 rounds rapid fire with a reload for semi-auto and stripper clip reload for bolt rifles, 10 rounds standing in the off (awful) hand. The Sniper match is 10 rounds each for each shooter (The shooter and spotter switch places) at 300 yds and then at 600 yds. 3" X-ring at 300 and a 6" X-Ring at 600 yds. The Targets are exposed for 20 seconds in which time you have to chamber your round , get on Target and send it. Targets go down for 20 seconds and you have to come off your rifle. Repeat until 10 rounds have been fired. Shooter and spotter then switch and go through the sequence until both have sent 10 rounds each. Total of 40 rounds. Max 400 Points with however many X's that you get. M1 Carbine Match is 100 Yds and they shoot more rounds than the other vintage military rifles. It is a lot of fun and it keeps up the marksmanship skills of the last line of Homeland Defense that we "Ole Folks" will be if shit hits the fan Believe me most of these fellows I've shot with can still shoot !!
Old 25 November 2019, 03:44
Confirmed User

Picked this up from a very old man who lives near me. It is in very good condition with a really nice bore. Cleaning and detailing it right now. Can't wait to take it out to the desert and see what it will do. Someone told me that with good ammo 500 meters is no problem. Maybe even further.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rifle 3 (3).jpg (73.8 KB, 140 views)
Old 25 November 2019, 04:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Sorry for answering your question late. The open (Iron) sight matches are at 200 yds: 10 rounds slow fire (Prone), 10 rounds rapid fire with a reload for semi-auto and stripper clip reload for bolt rifles, 10 rounds standing in the off (awful) hand. The Sniper match is 10 rounds each for each shooter (The shooter and spotter switch places) at 300 yds and then at 600 yds. 3" X-ring at 300 and a 6" X-Ring at 600 yds. The Targets are exposed for 20 seconds in which time you have to chamber your round , get on Target and send it. Targets go down for 20 seconds and you have to come off your rifle. Repeat until 10 rounds have been fired. Shooter and spotter then switch and go through the sequence until both have sent 10 rounds each. Total of 40 rounds. Max 400 Points with however many X's that you get. M1 Carbine Match is 100 Yds and they shoot more rounds than the other vintage military rifles. It is a lot of fun and it keeps up the marksmanship skills of the last line of Homeland Defense that we "Ole Folks" will be if shit hits the fan Believe me most of these fellows I've shot with can still shoot !!
Thanks for your answer!
Sounds interesting

Old 25 November 2019, 04:58

Quote:
...your post
Sounds like a blast with those rifles, and would be great to see a bunch of old hands still bring the heat.

DaveP

Our new posting rules