SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 27 October 2019, 00:02
exquisitus asinus

Been a few years since my last post in this thread..

Shot close to 1000 rounds through a 20ga monteftro on a high volume dive hunt in Argentina last year... great little gun... was a real joy to shoot...

I also got my super Vinci back.. my wife decided she liked it and stole it for a year.. then decided she’d rather have a beretta a400... the problem is the damn thing has a 13” LOP now (I got the super vinci cut down to fit her..)... so now I’ve got to figure out how to add 1.5” back on to it before I can comfortably shoot it again...

We shot 100 rounds of trap this afternoon, getting a little practice in for duck season.. I threw a 1” limb saver slip on pad onto it.. which sorta worked.. but it’s still short and a bit wonky... so I guess I’m off to see the gunsmith this week to get a 1.5” spacer installed...
Old 27 October 2019, 00:08
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post

There are also a shot ton of Turkish OU's of varying degrees of appeal, most of them shoot well and are well built, but not always much to look at. Benelli makes a beautiful OU, but they are in the $2500 - $3000 range, I believe.
Not sure if they are still importing them.. but Webley and Scott was selling an extremely nice Turkish built O/U for about $1100 a few years ago... Cabelaís got a bunch of them that had slightly damaged cases (nice felt lined leather cases with minor flaws like a missing screw or a scratch on a handle, etc..) and was selling them for about $750 at one point...

I snatched one up as soon as I saw it... itís mostly a safe queen.. but I couldnít pass up a nice O/U from an acclaimed British maker (albeit their Turkish line) for that kind of money..
Old 27 October 2019, 03:30
Authorized Personnel

Thinking that because you shot a 25 once, that dove would be as easy.
Old 27 October 2019, 05:33
Authorized Personnel

One of the other advantages of the O/U is the ability to have two different chokes available for the pair of birds. Unless I am competing, I shoot XFull and XFull, as it requires a bit more concentration. When money is on the line (or smack talking rights), I will swap chokes at each station, if needed.

If anyone is in North Central PA, Rock Mountain has some very interesting targets.
Old 27 October 2019, 07:38
Been There Done That

Don’t forget about CZ guns. Excellent shotguns. Love my CZ 20ga. Over/under.
Old 27 October 2019, 13:33
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post

Lots to pick from, but DO NOT trade your M4. For the love of god....
Good gouge on the reality check! I love that M4, and was damn sure caught up in the adrenaline of enjoy the t-total hell outta trying that and having fun with it. I went out again yesterday and again today. But I took the M4 just to see how it went. I have no basis to stand from, but it seemed that it's not a terrible gun for clays, aim seems to be a bit tighter, if I'm remembering how my buddies O/U shot correctly.

I did let a guy imet out there shoot the M4, and he let me shoot his Beretta and his CZ. Both semi's and a hell a lot of a fun to shoot, easier to nick the clays with them.

He made a statement that at $1500, you get a gun that functions perfectly for what it's intended, reliable, accurate, after that, it's about aesthetics. Is that a true statement?

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 27 October 2019, 14:19
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
He made a statement that at $1500, you get a gun that functions perfectly for what it's intended, reliable, accurate, after that, it's about aesthetics. Is that a true statement?
I agree with that statement...

Dont get me wrong.. you could spend a bazillion dollars on a bespoke Purdey and Sons 12 bore that is custom fitted to you, perfectly balanced, etc.. and it would be marginally "better" in terms of how easily and accurately you shoot it... but 90% of the money you would be paying would be for the fact that you just purchased a piece of art.. with perfect hand oiled finish, perfect hand engraving, blue so deep you think youre looking in a mirror when you peer into it etc..

Its certainly not going to be any more reliable or durable than an off the shelf mid range beretta or benelli..

The difference in a beretta A400 "extreme" synthetic ($1500) and a beretta A400 "excel" sporting clays ($2100) is largely aesthetics (pretty wood vs sytnthetic.. blued vs painted.. etc)..

Step into the $2600 A400 (excel multi-target).. the "gun" is the same thing as the extreme synthetic.. what youre paying for is all the cool guy competition options on the multi-target (adjustable stock.. adjustable cast.. competition rib.. etc..

At the end of the day.. an A400 is an A400.. if youre paying more than $1000 (cost of an A400 Extreme Unico).. youre just paying for additional "stuff" on the gun...

Sort of like buying a car.. its all about what options you want/need..
Old 28 October 2019, 10:47
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Good gouge on the reality check! I love that M4, and was damn sure caught up in the adrenaline of enjoy the t-total hell outta trying that and having fun with it. I went out again yesterday and again today. But I took the M4 just to see how it went. I have no basis to stand from, but it seemed that it's not a terrible gun for clays, aim seems to be a bit tighter, if I'm remembering how my buddies O/U shot correctly.

I did let a guy imet out there shoot the M4, and he let me shoot his Beretta and his CZ. Both semi's and a hell a lot of a fun to shoot, easier to nick the clays with them.

For $1500, you can buy almost any Benelli or Beretta auto shotgun and then add cash for aesthetics. You could also buy a decent Citori, although it might not be that fancy.

I was in the safe yesterday and I have an Ithica OU that is blued but engraved. It is made by SKB who make solid shotguns for other brands.
Old 29 October 2019, 19:25
Been There Done That

Can you eat those skeet & trap things? How do they taste Marines? The crayons are just a palate cleanser right?

Our new posting rules