SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 8 October 2019, 07:28
Been There Done That

AR/M-4 Bullet weights?

Letís have a discussion what works best.

Letís say your standard M4A1. 14.5Ē barrel, 1-7 barrel twist.

55gr, 62gr, 69gr, 75gr? Which will be more accurate, be more lethal, etc?

55gr of course is most economical it seems. 5.56 or .223?
Old 8 October 2019, 11:52
Been There Done That

I'm going with 75gr.
Old 8 October 2019, 12:07

I’ve heard 77gr OTM is doing good things for our guys overseas.

I switched out my ammo on my boog kit to Speer Gold Dot 5.56 due to the soft tips being better for lethality (at least compared to standard ball). I wanted the Hornady TAP SBR, but the pictures I saw of it made it seem like they were really flat nosed rounds. Which makes me, right or wrong, nervous regarding feeding issue related reliability.
Old 8 October 2019, 12:08
33,024 - R.I.P.

Good ole XM855
Old 8 October 2019, 12:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Iíve heard 77gr OTM is doing good things for our guys overseas.

I switched out my ammo on my boog kit to Speer Gold Dot 5.56 due to the soft tips being better for lethality (at least compared to standard ball). I wanted the Hornady TAP SBR, but the pictures I saw of it made it seem like they were really flat nosed rounds. Which makes me, right or wrong, nervous regarding feeding issue related reliability.
Speer 75gr? Have some, but not been to range with them yet - but hear good things.
Old 8 October 2019, 12:44

Yeah I got the “Speer Gold Dot LE Duty 223 Remington Ammo 75 Grain Soft Point-Box of 20”. Filled up about 6 mags full. Haven’t shot them either. I train with cheap ball ammo. 55gr Wolf Gold. The good stuff is too expensive to blast through.
Old 8 October 2019, 12:59
BTDT

Accuracy would probably be the heaviest (wind), highest ballistic coefficient rounds - then verify what your rifle likes.

For "Predators"? Fusion MSR or BH TMK

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nh7mo25hq6...rels.xlsx?dl=0

14.5" will get you performance at greater distance - but try justifying a 400yd "self defense" shot to your local DA

I wouldn't want to be shot with any current round though - rifle velocities suck.
Old 8 October 2019, 15:20
In Vino Veritas

While I may have been an 18B I am far from a gun geek. I asked a buddy at a SMU what they were shooting out of their 14.5ís and he said 77 gr. IIRC.
Old 8 October 2019, 18:35
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I’ve heard 77gr OTM is doing good things for our guys overseas.
The next Generation of that is TMK, "Tipped Match King". Last one at the bottom right under OTM. Think OTM with Nosler "Ballistic Tip".

http://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-rifle-ammo/5-56mm/

Google "5.56 TMK gelatin"

You need 1-7" to stabilize this but supposedly (any BTDT with knowledge, white courtesy phone please?) the Tier 1 guys use Mk262 OTM as regular combat ammo when they can get it due to superior performance on personnel in the open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
BH TMK .
Sorry, missed your reference on first read through.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 8 October 2019, 18:46
Shakin' the bush Boss

I use the 77gr matchkings in my 22" heavy barrel Rock River and it's a tack driver. I just use Federal 55gr softies in my carbine.
Old 8 October 2019, 18:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
The next Generation of that is TMK, "Tipped Match King". Last one at the bottom right under OTM. Think OTM with Nosler "Ballistic Tip".

http://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-rifle-ammo/5-56mm/

Google "5.56 TMK gelatin"

You need 1-7" to stabilize this but supposedly (any BTDT with knowledge, white courtesy phone please?) the Tier 1 guys use Mk262 OTM as regular combat ammo when they can get it due to superior performance on personnel in the open.

Sorry, missed your reference on first read through.
Good stuff but expensive, $55 for box of 50.

Speer Gold Dot 75gr seems the Best Buy.
Old 8 October 2019, 22:23
exquisitus asinus

as a rule I am not a fan of hornady rifle ammo (i do like some of their pistol stuff)..

but this stuff delivers some serious awesomeness in 5.56:

https://youtu.be/weMrSjNU-B4

designed for SBR's... but out of a 16" bbl it is straight up devastating (as devastating as 5.56 can be anyway)..

Ive shot a good number of ferel hogs with it at ranges from 30-150 yards over the past couple of years.. it has never failed to perform.. even on the big boys (200+lbs) on a shoulder shot through the "plate" of gristled fat they wear on the side..

its also very accurate in all of my AR's...

I shoot paper with pretty much anything I can find cheap..

but I dont shoot anything else in 5.56 anymore if the target is made of anything other than paper.. i keep several boxes of it on hand all the time..
Old 9 October 2019, 18:46
BTDT

5.56 carbine

Quote:
14.5" will get you performance at greater distance - but try justifying a 400yd "self defense" shot to your local DA
Had you been in Vegas, on October 1st 2017 w/a carbine in your truck, and been able to identify the muzzle flashes from the 32nd floor of the Mandala Bay Hotel. If you could have made the shot(s) (ie 400yds...5 or 6?), I don't believe there would have been a problem w/the DA.

I've gone w/a Barnes 62gr TSX or TTSX. Bearing surface of a 77gr OTM/Sierra TMK/MK262 (ie copper is lighter than lead). As, if not more, accurate than MK262. W/terminal ballistics..well, that's a preference. I've gone w/"P" for plenty

I reload; though, Black hills manufactures a 62gr TSX Load. Couldn't say who requested that. You would have to ask BH

Good shooting

Last edited by glockcqc; 9 October 2019 at 18:51. Reason: spelling:)
Old 9 October 2019, 19:21
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Good stuff but expensive, $55 for box of 50.

Speer Gold Dot 75gr seems the Best Buy.
Black Hills charges double for 1000 rds of TMK over what you'd pay for 1000 rds of Mag-Tech OTM from SG Ammo. This is the stuff I am shooting at the moment and will continue to do, but I would like some Black Hills TMK to have around as well. Dealer cost (relevant to dealing with Black Hills, not SGAmmo) and by the case is a lot cheaper than $1.10/round, which I am guessing is full on retail.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/223-5...rst-defense-sn

https://www.sgammo.com/site_search?populate=5.56+OTM

SG Ammo rocks, I buy everything from them, by the case or half, for the last few years. They have stuff others don't, and cheaper. Instead of shooting crappy whatever through my "new when I got it Lee-Enfield No.4 MkII", I am rocking some nice clean 1980's contract mil-spec B/NC (bimetallic jacket) German ammo produced by MEN. LE Only 5.7 ammo (not AP) by the case, etc..If you have a preferred load in a certain caliber and can't find it, or not at a decent price, try them.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 9 October 2019, 22:29
Wolverines!

You'll need to shoot them to see how your rifle likes them. They should all be plenty accurate, but the heavier ones will do better at distance. As far as lethality goes, there are lots of factors to consider. Body armor, barriers, auto glass, etc. For soft targets, I'd go with the 75 Grain Hornady OTM or the tried and true MK262. For barriers you might want to consider a bonded bullet or an all copper like a TSX. All purpose for a good price would be Gold Dot SP or Federal TRU/ FUSION or even a Winchester 64 grain SP. MK318 SOST would be a good option as well. SG Ammo has most of this in stock and plenty more. The TMK seems like it would be a really good option as well, but I haven't personally shot any. Magtech MK262 is my go to for the money.

Our new posting rules