SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 18 December 2018, 23:18
Been There Done That

6.5 Creedmor

Well, Steyr just came out with a 6.5 creedmor version of one of my favorite platforms - the Steyr Scout. I do like the slightly better ballistics and lower recoil compared to the. .308. But I question if worth the increase in cost of ammo, as seems the 6.5 rounds selling for about doublecthst if .308.

So who here is a fan of the 6.5?
Old 18 December 2018, 23:41
Anesthetized User

I have been shooting and reloading this cartridge for 3 years. It is simply outstanding. Forgiving to load for. With my load data, I am driving the 140SMK around 2850FPS, zero pressure signs, with an under maximum dose of Reloder 17. Easily stays supersonic to 1K.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is also an excellent hunter. Hunters are using this with success against Elk. Make accurate shots and this cartridge will do fine.

Take look at the ballistics of the 7MM Rem Mag. The CM really shines compared to other bigger cartridges.

Very good projectiles for 6.5's these days. BC's of over 500 is common, with a few in the high 600's.

Front Sight Bang has shot my rifle and liked it. He might chime in.

We each scored 1st round hits on a body sized steel at 1K.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 18 December 2018 at 23:51.
Old 19 December 2018, 00:17
BTDT

I'm a fan of 6.5 Swede and 6.5 Mannlicher. No experience with the Creedmoor, but from what I've read the advantage of the Creedmoor, if any is that is a little less abusive to barrels due to case design that allows less powder to produce the same velocity as the Swede or the .260. This doesn't seem much of a concern in a scout rifle. The other desirable trait is that it fits a short action which is perceived to be more accurate. A moot point since the Steyr Scout seems to be chambered only in short action calibers.

So basically the advantages to 6.5 Creedmoor are sort of lost on a scout rifle or any other hunting type rifle for that matter. On the other hand it's the only 6.5 Steyr is chambering in the Scout, and the 6.5s are a pretty great family of cartridges.
Old 19 December 2018, 00:47
Confirmed User

I’ve got 3, a ruger precision, a mossberg patriot, and a Bergara HMR. all three are sub-MOA guns.

The RPR was bought to check off one item on my bucket list, a cold bore first round hit on a man sized target at 1000 yards. Done. Also done with a 25 mph crosswind at 1250 yards in a match. The combo of almost no recoil and long, heavy for caliber, high BC bullets available, make this an easy “off the shelf” 1000 yard gun.

I have taken two Nebraska mule deer and a Colorado one with the 6.5. None went further than a couple of steps. My traditional deer rifles have been a .30-06 or a .300 weatherby, and I saw very little downside with a much easier shooting 6.5.

The mossberg rifle is trash, I bought it cheap, but it’s for sale at the LGS. I bought the HMR with the hope it will combine the PRS shootability of the RPR and the portability of the mossberg. Just scoped it last weekend, with the Athlon Ares ETR I asked about in another thread. I’ll report back after a range day or two.

Choice Ammo and Prime Ammo offer some precision options for factory loads capable of reaching steel at a grand or better.
Old 19 December 2018, 01:35
Anesthetized User

I think I posted this before but...

Done with my 6.5 handloads.

5 shots at a 100yds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B075DF79-B555-428A-BFC4-2865399CF37B.jpeg (114.6 KB, 348 views)

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 19 December 2018, 02:55
Confirmed User

I had a Savage 6.5CM. Recoil is so manageable on it that my wife now claims it as hers. That thing is a tack driver. Easy hits out to 300 yards (furthest I've been able to shoot it). Would probably make a really good beginner rifle due to the accuracy, lack of recoil, and availability of lightweight models. Does seem louder than a .308 though. Reloading for it is awesome and as Expat said, forgiving.

Meanwhile, I'm SOL for a long-range rifle. May have to just build one. Or get another Savage, can't beat cheap and accurate.

Though I have had the itch for it in an AR platform, I've heard/read too many issues arise from it due to case shoulders.
Old 19 December 2018, 05:04
Red Headed Stepchild

I like mine.* I bought a Tikka in 6.5 after taking a long range shooting course last summer. Installed a decent aftermarket chassis and suppressor adapter (myself) and it has shot sub MOA out to 300 yards in various wind conditions from the first time on. I'm not sure how much of that is due to it being a Tikka and how much is due to the 6.5 round since it's the first time I've owned either. Haven't been to the 1000 yard range with it yet but am planning to in the next couple weeks.

I know plenty of guys that hunt with it here, it's fine for caribou and deer, and by all reports great for sheep, little light for moose probably.

*Amateur opinion
Old 19 December 2018, 18:32
Been There Done That

Interesting round. I've never fired one. BigNick mentioned the .260 I have shot those before and it's an effective deer thumper. I got an ole buddy here that shoots deer every year with a 6mm and has been since we were in high school. That's a long time and a lot of venison

The felt recoil is a weird thing. I'm a .308 guy and I don't even think twice about it. To me a .270 has a harder recoil and is louder.

The weight & balance of a long gun has something to do with that. Barrel length and type of action, bolt, pump, single shot, etc.

Hawk. Roger that on the Tikka. I don't need a sales pitch to buy one of those. That bolt is smooth as a baby's ass.
Old 19 December 2018, 18:46
Make a desert and call it peace.

It's a product improved 6.5 Swede to fit within the constraints of the short rifle action. It works very well.

Since it uses significantly slower powders than 308 and has less expansion volume, it's going to have higher muzzle pressure, all else equal, so louder.

270 Win should recoil faster and harder than 308, it's burning 20+ gns more powder, and firing a projectile significantly faster. S/F...Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 19 December 2018, 19:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Interesting round. I've never fired one. BigNick mentioned the .260 I have shot those before and it's an effective deer thumper. I got an ole buddy here that shoots deer every year with a 6mm and has been since we were in high school. That's a long time and a lot of venison

The felt recoil is a weird thing. I'm a .308 guy and I don't even think twice about it. To me a .270 has a harder recoil and is louder.

The weight & balance of a long gun has something to do with that. Barrel length and type of action, bolt, pump, single shot, etc.

Hawk. Roger that on the Tikka. I don't need a sales pitch to buy one of those. That bolt is smooth as a baby's ass.
I like both, and I'm a Tikka fan as well. Mine is in a 25-06 (meaning, it's the redneck version of the 6.5 Creedmoor). I built a Hawk Hill custom .308, never really shoot it anymore. The Tikka is my go to dumper for almost everything.
Old 19 December 2018, 19:18
Been There Done That

...as for recoil (without a break). The 300 and 340 Wby. Mags were as high as I cared to venture into the heavy shoulder boomers. Pretty fucking brutal trying to bang out a three shot group. Have no desire to own, much less to ever shoot another one of those brain rattling bastards...
Old 19 December 2018, 19:31
Shakin' the bush Boss

I zero'd a Ruger M77 in 7MM Mag one time. After about a dozen shots I felt like I'd been in an MMA fight, and lost. It was like a rat turd, sharp on both ends.
Old 19 December 2018, 22:33
Been There Done That

I had two Rugers, #1 and a bolt action, in 375 H&H. Now I hunted with one initially back in Africa in 2003 and did not seem to bother me. But few years ago, did not even want to shoot again and sold. Just hurts too much and left nasty shoulder bruises. Plus the rounds cost around $3.5 each.

Kind of like use to hump a 60 pound ruck all over the place. Now I question how and hell did I even get that thing on my back?! I am not hiking with anything heavier than 25 pounds now.
Old 20 December 2018, 01:31
exquisitus asinus

I have a penchant for the thumpers.. my 375 H&H didn’t hurt enough... so I built a .416 Taylor

Truth be told, while my safe has several shoulder crushers in it... my go to gun lately has been a 7x57..

Super low recoil, boringly accurate, cheap to shoot, and can easily take down anything up to the size of an elk out to several hundred yards...

That said.. if I didn’t already own the 7x57, I’d probably be looking into a 6.5 creed for all the same reasons (soft on the shoulder, accuate, ballistics, etc...)... the creed is a pretty remarkable round
Old 20 December 2018, 01:55
Confirmed User

Agreed mdwest, boringly accurate is a hilariously accurate description. I started betting friends at the range on first round hits on a dime at 100 yards. We switched to NSEWside of the dime.
Old 20 December 2018, 06:58
Confirmed User

I'm going to pick up a Tikka in 6.5 CM after the first of the year. I'm also being told that I "need" a 6.5 upper for my SR-25.
Old 20 December 2018, 08:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
I have a penchant for the thumpers.. my 375 H&H didn’t hurt enough... so I built a .416 Taylor

Truth be told, while my safe has several shoulder crushers in it... my go to gun lately has been a 7x57..

Super low recoil, boringly accurate, cheap to shoot, and can easily take down anything up to the size of an elk out to several hundred yards...

That said.. if I didn’t already own the 7x57, I’d probably be looking into a 6.5 creed for all the same reasons (soft on the shoulder, accuate, ballistics, etc...)... the creed is a pretty remarkable round
Been wanting a 7x57 Ruger #1 International for years.
Old 20 December 2018, 09:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Been wanting a 7x57 Ruger #1 International for years.
I've been looking for one locally as well for all the same reasons mdwest posted. I cruise the pawn shops after the holidays. Always looking for a good deal.
Old 20 December 2018, 10:03
33,024 - R.I.P.

I just picked up a couple of Browning X-bolts in 6.5 Creedmoor. One for me, and the other for my son's birthday. The plan is to take him hunting next year after he has taken a hunters safety course.

I put a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 on mine, and told my son he'll have to do the research on optics for his. I want him to understand the practicality of different scopes as well as the "needs over the want" factor.
Old 20 December 2018, 10:33
Freelancer

I still want to try a 4 Bore.

Our new posting rules