SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 20 December 2018, 12:05
Box's Avatar
Box Box is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 3,743
I was thinking of buying a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 just because, but I have a few other gun purchases that are higher on my priority list right now.


Soon.......
__________________
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 20 December 2018, 12:19
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,278
I am a fan of the 6.5 Creed, but it's taking a backseat now to the .224 Valkyrie. But I do love the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 20 December 2018, 14:21
mdwest's Avatar
mdwest mdwest is offline
exquisitus asinus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: here
Posts: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I still want to try a 4 Bore.
ummmm.... if youre serious... I know how to make that happen for you...

just sayin...
__________________
That which is ready to fall deserves to be pushed.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 20 December 2018, 14:37
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Freelancer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LFOD
Posts: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
ummmm.... if youre serious... I know how to make that happen for you...

just sayin...
I'm good lol, fired six rounds out of a .500 NE in my younger days plenty for me.

That is pretty cool you have access to one.
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 20 December 2018, 15:05
Rotor Strike please Rotor Strike please is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Off the Grid
Posts: 1,679
I've had a 6.5 Creed built by Josh Kunz of Patriot Valley Arms for about a year and a half now. Best group to date was .783 for three rounds at 200 yards. That's on the rifle.

The cartridge makes life just plain easy. It is superior to the .308 in just about every facet, especially the ballistic coefficient. Rifle prefers 140gr ELD-M's on the range and 140gr Berger Elite Hunter's in the field. Have successfully taken Colorado Elk with this rifle.

I'm completely sold on this round.
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 20 December 2018, 15:31
JAFO's Avatar
JAFO JAFO is offline
33,024 - R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I was thinking of buying a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 just because, but I have a few other gun purchases that are higher on my priority list right now.


Soon.......
I have a RPR in .308 that has never been fired if you're interested.
__________________
"Until Jesus gets into the gun business, there will never be a perfect gun.” - Will Larson (iraqgunz) RIP.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 20 December 2018, 17:16
hawkdrver's Avatar
hawkdrver hawkdrver is offline
Red Headed Stepchild
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AK
Posts: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
little light for moose probably.
I don't know anyone up here that uses a 6.5 for moose but figured I better qualify that statement. A quick google search indicates not everyone agrees with me.

We have guys up here that bowhunt for Kodiak brown bears, so I think that might explain it. Too light a round for me though.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 20 December 2018, 22:03
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Po Dunk, WV
Posts: 7,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I just picked up a couple of Browning X-bolts in 6.5 Creedmoor. One for me, and the other for my son's birthday. The plan is to take him hunting next year after he has taken a hunters safety course.

I put a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 on mine, and told my son he'll have to do the research on optics for his. I want him to understand the practicality of different scopes as well as the "needs over the want" factor.
That scope should suck up a bunch of light. That comes in handy for those right after sunrise and just before dusk shots.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 20 December 2018, 23:44
foxcolt13 foxcolt13 is offline
Moving Target
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I was thinking of buying a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 just because, but I have a few other gun purchases that are higher on my priority list right now.


Soon.......
I'm also getting a Ruger PRS in 6.5CM. if the Lord wills. I want a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5x25 50 scope. The Army is also going to the 6.5 CM. I read that they were testing it back in October of this year.

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/23/ussocom-adopts-6-5-cm/
__________________
Lost one to lost three......are you lost too.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 21 December 2018, 09:39
JAFO's Avatar
JAFO JAFO is offline
33,024 - R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
That scope should suck up a bunch of light. That comes in handy for those right after sunrise and just before dusk shots.
It has a nice Horus type BDC reticle as well. Good for holdovers.
__________________
"Until Jesus gets into the gun business, there will never be a perfect gun.” - Will Larson (iraqgunz) RIP.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 21 December 2018, 19:25
hawkdrver's Avatar
hawkdrver hawkdrver is offline
Red Headed Stepchild
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AK
Posts: 3,368
I have one on my Tikka and it kicks ass. Especially for the price.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 24 December 2018, 16:17
SOW_0331's Avatar
SOW_0331 SOW_0331 is offline
Firearm Industry Vagabond
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Well, Steyr just came out with a 6.5 creedmor version of one of my favorite platforms - the Steyr Scout. I do like the slightly better ballistics and lower recoil compared to the. .308. But I question if worth the increase in cost of ammo, as seems the 6.5 rounds selling for about doublecthst if .308.

So who here is a fan of the 6.5?
I think the specifics you mention in your question somewhat of a contradiction to the question as it’s posed, if that makes sense?

By that I mean the criteria for the cost/benefit equation as you outline it are not entirely suitable metrics, with all due respect.

6.5CM is not a slight improvement over .308Win as a precision rifle round. The use of the modified .308 case wasn’t because it’s already such a great round on its own for that role, it was to ease the cost and maintenance of fielding the caliber in existing weapon systems. The steep case shoulder, the long and thin design of the projectiles, the significantly higher ballistic coefficient at distances that exceed what we’d call “medium range” lengths are hard to compare.

Because of that role being where the round is most valuable, the market offers more match grade and precision ammo than the prolific .308. What are you comparing the cost per round to? Something like an ELDM Match ammo is almost identical in .308 or 6.5, while 6.5 doesn’t have its own version of bulk 147gr FMJ. Does that make sense the way I state that?

Even more of a separation of parallels is the rifle you’re wanting to use. A “scout concept” gun by its definition and design makes it a poor weapon for optimizing the performance that 6.5 is bringing to the table.

Essentially, 6.5CM is an excellent caliber for its intended purposes and worth every penny more than its competitive load match of the .308

If you’re married to the Steyr Scout for the function it is intended to perform, than the 6.5 is probably not going to be worth diving into and retooling your reloading equipment for.
__________________
Weapon System Developer, Small Arms Tester/Evaluator, and Beef Terriyaki Skewering Madman

Rest Easy SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 24 December 2018, 16:24
SOW_0331's Avatar
SOW_0331 SOW_0331 is offline
Firearm Industry Vagabond
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
I am a fan of the 6.5 Creed, but it's taking a backseat now to the .224 Valkyrie. But I do love the 6.5 Creedmoor.
I have yet to find an application that a .308 has long been filling that isn’t better performed by a .224Vlk

The heavier weight of the 6.5 makes for better performance past 1000m, short of that distance the .224 is making the mini action king.
__________________
Weapon System Developer, Small Arms Tester/Evaluator, and Beef Terriyaki Skewering Madman

Rest Easy SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 24 December 2018, 17:06
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,824
LP, if you pick one up I have a few hundred pieces of unfired Norma 6.5 Creedmoor brass, sized and properly annealed by me. Large Rifle Primer. I say this since Lapua started making 6.5 CM brass but it is SRP.

Annealing machine, blue tip of the flame just touched the neck of the case. Tempilaq 750 used on the top of the case heated till just melted. No orange noted on neck brass at all.

Properly annealed brass.

I have 40 pieces of premium brass for you. Free.

Merry Christmas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0886.JPG (71.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0879.jpg (67.2 KB, 165 views)
__________________
Support SOCNET.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 24 December 2018, 19:09
leopardprey's Avatar
leopardprey leopardprey is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
I think the specifics you mention in your question somewhat of a contradiction to the question as it’s posed, if that makes sense?

By that I mean the criteria for the cost/benefit equation as you outline it are not entirely suitable metrics, with all due respect.

6.5CM is not a slight improvement over .308Win as a precision rifle round. The use of the modified .308 case wasn’t because it’s already such a great round on its own for that role, it was to ease the cost and maintenance of fielding the caliber in existing weapon systems. The steep case shoulder, the long and thin design of the projectiles, the significantly higher ballistic coefficient at distances that exceed what we’d call “medium range” lengths are hard to compare.

Because of that role being where the round is most valuable, the market offers more match grade and precision ammo than the prolific .308. What are you comparing the cost per round to? Something like an ELDM Match ammo is almost identical in .308 or 6.5, while 6.5 doesn’t have its own version of bulk 147gr FMJ. Does that make sense the way I state that?

Even more of a separation of parallels is the rifle you’re wanting to use. A “scout concept” gun by its definition and design makes it a poor weapon for optimizing the performance that 6.5 is bringing to the table.

Essentially, 6.5CM is an excellent caliber for its intended purposes and worth every penny more than its competitive load match of the .308

If you’re married to the Steyr Scout for the function it is intended to perform, than the 6.5 is probably not going to be worth diving into and retooling your reloading equipment for.
Good review, and yes with a scout set up you probably are never shooting beyond 400meters, to be honest probably not over 300 meters. Most hunting, man or beast, happens in that range. I think the longest I ever took an animal was a Kudu at 175m in Zulu natal. So right as seems bullet drop and "kill" factor is not much different bewtween the two under 300 meters. And the creedmor seems to really shine, out perform the .308 once get over 500-600 meters.

Don't reload, so no issue there on retooling. I think the big advantage for me the 6.5 has is reduced recoil, which in a lighter weight scout rifle is welcome.

Ironically, one of the reasons wanted to keep .308 is I have several cases of match grade black hills .308 ammo. But currently no .308 rifle as sold mine years ago. Well, my brother two days ago bought a new .308 browning Hells Canyon (very nice rifle). So he wants to buy all my ammo. ; ).

And brother is deploying in the spring to Switzerland for three years, so his rifle is going in my safe. : ).
__________________
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 25 December 2018, 00:53
hawkdrver's Avatar
hawkdrver hawkdrver is offline
Red Headed Stepchild
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AK
Posts: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
deploying in the spring to Switzerland for three years

Where do I sign up for THAT gig?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 25 December 2018, 06:17
leopardprey's Avatar
leopardprey leopardprey is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Where do I sign up for THAT gig?
DSS.

Though a choice assignment, there is a readon/tragedy behind why he got it no one would want to trade for.
__________________
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 25 December 2018, 23:35
mdwest's Avatar
mdwest mdwest is offline
exquisitus asinus
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: here
Posts: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I'm good lol, fired six rounds out of a .500 NE in my younger days plenty for me.

That is pretty cool you have access to one.
Every year in May there is a “big bore shoot” in Dallas... .375 H&H is the minimum allowed... all the “typical” dangerous game calibers like the 416 Rigby, 470 Nitro Express, etc are available there for people to shoot... and there are always a handful of guns capable to stopping t-rex that people bring in as well.. last year there was a .505 Gibbs, a .577 tyranasur, a 600 overkill, a couple of 8 bores and a few 4 bores present..

The owners typically are happy to let anyone willing take a shot or two...

For me personally, my 375 and 416 are more than enough... to hell with a 4 bore lol...
__________________
That which is ready to fall deserves to be pushed.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 25 December 2018, 23:51
hawkdrver's Avatar
hawkdrver hawkdrver is offline
Red Headed Stepchild
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AK
Posts: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
DSS.

Though a choice assignment, there is a readon/tragedy behind why he got it no one would want to trade for.
This right here is why I never ask women when they're due. "I'm not pregnant"

Thanks for the PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 26 December 2018, 00:22
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
Every year in May there is a “big bore shoot” in Dallas... .375 H&H is the minimum allowed... all the “typical” dangerous game calibers like the 416 Rigby, 470 Nitro Express, etc are available there for people to shoot... and there are always a handful of guns capable to stopping t-rex that people bring in as well.. last year there was a .505 Gibbs, a .577 tyranasur, a 600 overkill, a couple of 8 bores and a few 4 bores present..

The owners typically are happy to let anyone willing take a shot or two...

For me personally, my 375 and 416 are more than enough... to hell with a 4 bore lol...
This is BS. If I am looking at a big bull elk 1,000 Lbs or more I built a wildcat just for elk.

Often we see 20KT winds, 2foot of snow per hour, and whiteout conditions.

There is only one wildcat caliber that works in all of the above.

.22-40MM Bofors.

This really is the best over bore cartridge ever.

The above is BS and meant to be over the top.
__________________
Support SOCNET.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 23:52.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018