SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 16 March 2019, 17:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
This was posted on FB this morning. It was 1st discharge from his rifle this year. What are your thoughts on this malfunction ?
similar but slightly less catastrophic failure happened to a Ranger I know 4 odd years back with factory ammo.

S&W said ammo to blame, nothing warrantable from them, Ammo manufacturer blamed S&W, same story. I don't think he lawyered up.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 16 March 2019, 23:12
Moving Target

I had a M60 once to tear the back off off a spent case a d then feed another rd into the spent case while in a very hot chamber. I let it cool before hammering out the rd.
Old 18 March 2019, 11:18
Old Scroll

Firing a G19 in West by God Virginia a couple of years ago when the slide started to lock to the rear on every 2nd or 3rd shot. The piece had many many thousands of rounds fired previously without a hiccup. Slide stop wasn't the issue, and nothing was bent internally. Factory poly spring guide was pristine. Two.Glock trained armorers on site were baffled.

Got home and took it to the Glock factory authorized service shop. Clueless. Leave it with them and a month later get a.call from them - your gun is fixed.

I head on over and find the previously black square top of the chamber is now in the white. Tells me they had a dozen factory trained guys look at it and the only thing they could find was that.the barrel at the flat part over the chamber was a couple of thousandths too tall, and that.was.the.cause.

Funny it wasn't an issue earlier before it had digested several ammo cans of hardball. Shoots fine now, with its white chamber and all.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 18 March 2019, 18:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
This was posted on FB this morning. It was 1st discharge from his rifle this year. What are your thoughts on this malfunction ?
300blk through a 5.56?
Old 18 March 2019, 18:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
My first thought as well, but would it even go into battery?
It can. This is why I use a different color magazine for 300blk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg ED33E2FE-C6E3-429C-9486-437CB62AB352.jpeg (16.8 KB, 300 views)
Old 18 March 2019, 21:04
Been There Done That

Does a shotgun falling apart when you fired it qualify as a malfunction?
Old 18 March 2019, 21:20
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
It can. This is why I use a different color magazine for 300blk.
Thanks. Just started shooting .300 BLK, I use different mags also but will get religious about it now. Appreciate the picture.
Old 20 March 2019, 22:27
Been There Done That

I had a miningun decide to start eating cases, sprocket was cutting the cases about half way across the case, about half way through a 3000 round can. barrels glowing. I took the feeder off using a little force and put the spare on and timed it and went back to firing. On the way in I got the AC to call and say we needed EOD to meet us on the runway and pick up the feeder. I started handing it to the tech and he says"I dont want that damn thing you fix it." Told the AC what he said and we took off again. While we were headed I started playing with it and got it cleared. We landed and taxied in. Eod meet us at the plane and ask for the feeder. I told him they did not take it the first time so I fixed it. He was not a happy camper but I never heard another word about it.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 7 October 2019, 20:19
Freelancer

Had hammer follow on a HK45 threw me for loop. I did manage to replicate it cycling by hand.
Old 7 October 2019, 23:38
Legal Immigrant

Going back about 30 yrs...on the range had my FN SLR's barrel split open from the muzzle back, nearly half the length of the barrel. From memory, it split open into 4 "fingers". Using issued ammo.

No idea what happened, but the armourers shrugged it off and gave me a "new" one. Those things were damn robust otherwise.
Old 9 October 2019, 03:20
Authorized Personnel

Kimber Ultra CDP I bought used. Loading it one night I pulled the slide to the rear and let it go and it went off. Hit my buddies bow case, two carbon arrows, exited said case, went into the cheap uncase next to it, bounced off the bipod out the case, hit the baseboard, bounced off the Pergo floor and landed in my ball cap on the table next to the door. One of the previous owners had "worked on it" and when the locking lever was up, if you pulled the trigger it would give just a little, when you depressed the locking lever the hammer would drop. Took it to a gunsmith and he repaired all the "worked on" parts and it was good to go.

Old Springfield model 511 side by side 16 Gauge. My brother was using it while I was in Okinawa, hunting small game with two guys that we call our little brothers. He is carrying it on top of his shoulder holding the barrels to the front. Both guys are in front on either side and the stock hit a branch. One barrel goes off, launching the gun backwards. Safety is on. Unloaded it and put it in the gun safe with a note. I get home a few months later and take the gun out and cock the action, close it and tap the stock with my hand, left barrel fires with the safety on. Take stock off and there was a sliver of wood that had splintered off and was touching the side of the sear for the left barrel. Gave it just enough pressure to fire when the stock was bumped. Cleaned the sliver of wood out and it is working again the way it is supposed to.
Old 10 October 2019, 21:25
Been There Done That

Very scary, both of those incidents. Glad no one hurt.

Our new posting rules