SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Post Exchange

Old 29 August 2007, 15:23
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger5280
I think the soil has something to do with it. The properties of soil would seem to influence the qualities of the bean or whatever you're growing. As regions vary I imagine the bean does as well.

I just wonder if it's enough variation for my palate to notice...that's where it becomes marketing IMHO.
I'm still trying to figure out how you appeal to somebody's palate with coffee made from beans crapped from some small land mammal, and make it sound appealing enough to charge 50 dollars a cup.:D
Old 29 August 2007, 16:09
Fitness Mod

To funny...I'm trying not to think about it:D
Old 29 August 2007, 16:33

Marketing geniuses. Maybe they should put these guys on the Army ad campaign.:D

The setting for where they serve this, and you really have to wonder if they serve it anywhere else, even in Indonesia where it's supposed to have originated, is the hotel down in Miami that was the large mansion that had belonged to Versace.

I always thought I was experiencing the exotic when I drank the Arabic coffee laced with cardamom seeds. It turns out I'm a rank amateur...
Old 29 August 2007, 16:48
Fitness Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner
The setting for where they serve this, and you really have to wonder if they serve it anywhere else, even in Indonesia where it's supposed to have originated, is the hotel down in Miami that was the large mansion that had belonged to Versace
Unfortunately, I'm sure that poop has been served by the former residents.
Old 29 August 2007, 17:11

If this coffee had been around when Tarantino was doing Pulp Fiction, he could have taken Jule's superlative praise of Jimmy's gourmet coffee to a whole other level....

[Jules, Vincent and Jimmie are drinking coffee in Jimmie's kitchen]

Jules: Mmmm! Goddamn, Jimmie! This is some serious gourmet shit! Usually, me and Vince would be happy with some freeze-dried Taster's Choice, but he springs this serious GOURMET shit on us! What flavor is this? Is this that grind that the Asian Palm Civet craps out after eating raw coffee beans? Huh, Jimmy? 'Cause if it is, this java is really the shit...:D
Old 29 August 2007, 23:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Poison...I was in Kuaui a few weeks back and they had a variety of coffees that were excellent. I visited the Kuaui Coffee company and they told me that the reason there coffee is better than Kona coffee is because they use one bean variety from the island and Kona uses beans from all over Hawaii.
Can you shed some light on this? I'm getting ready to place an order with you and thought I'd try something similar to the Kuaui bean if possible. Any suggestions?
Um, I'm not sure what they're talking about. Kona is pretty strictly regulated, and it can only be called Kona if it is specifically from the very small Kona region. They can't mix other beans in and call it 100% Kona, AFAIK.

That's not to say the Kuaui coffees aren't really good; they may even have a similar flavor profile to Kona. Kona has very specific weather conditions, altitude, and soil which combine to make Kona pretty tasty.

I'll have Kona back in soon. Until then, try my Costa Rica, it's possibly my best coffee.
Old 29 August 2007, 23:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
I think the soil has something to do with it. The properties of soil would seem to influence the qualities of the bean or whatever you're growing. As regions vary I imagine the bean does as well.

I just wonder if it's enough variation for my palate to notice...that's where it becomes marketing IMHO.
You guys are absolutely correct: soil plays a big part. To borrow a term from the wino's out there, terroir is the 'flavor of place', where soil, water, climate, altitude, bean genus, skill of the growers and pickers, and processing all collide to produce exquisite flavors specific to a particular plot of land in some corner of the earth. This is why Kona tastes NOTHING like Yemen, or any other coffee.

Very few people can't taste the difference. The problems come with crappy roasting and lack of freshness, neither of which the best bean can overcome.
Old 1 September 2007, 12:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison
Lol, yes. It's something like $300-600lb. I have yet to see any, let alone try it. I'm game, though. :D

I'm considering picking up a coffee that is $16lb...unroasted. My Kona is $33lb, and I can't keep it in stock. Good stuff!!

The civit coffee is on the menu at a local restaurant. I am NOT going to try it and let you know how it is. The server told me no one has ever ordered it.

Mat says Esmeralda is getting $114 lb at auction. Wow-I liked it, but not at that price. BTW, do you ever get Swiss Water beans? Mat's going to work for the company as coffee buyer.

I'll be ordering this weekend.
Old 1 September 2007, 16:24
Confirmed User

C'mon, jane, be a sport, take one for the team!!! Don't worry, the 200 degree water will kill most of the germs!:D

I'm looking at Esmerelda. Non-auction Esmerelda is much cheaper. I need to cup it.

I don't buy Swiss Water beans necessarily; they typically don't have as much flavor as the other processes. I mostly buy the MC coffee.

Good to hear from you again!
Old 1 September 2007, 17:37

Quote:
C'mon, jane, be a sport, take one for the team!!! Don't worry, the 200 degree water will kill most of the germs!:D
It's made from Civet poop, for crying out loud!:D

That's the kind of thing I might be game to drink if I was roaming the hinterlands of the region it comes from. But at 50.00/cup in the US, I think I'd just go with your Kona.
Old 1 September 2007, 19:21
Confirmed User

lol!

BTW, I just made our monthly donation to the IMC.
Old 2 September 2007, 13:59
Confirmed User

And donation made to Socnet. :) Unfortunately, it's not as much as I'd like. I'm not sure everyone who orders is reporting back here. The problem is the way my website is set up: I have no way of tracking where people are coming from. The only way I'll know if someone orders from Socnet, and make the accompanying donation, is if you guys post here that you ordered (type of coffee and date).

It's not costing you extra; for the 30 seconds it takes to post here, Socnet gets $1 a lb and the IMC gets $.25. So please be sure to let me know!!

:D:D
Old 2 September 2007, 14:01
Confirmed User

Hey, who's fucking with me: my post count is stuck at 51. Golani Division 51 is competitive with my 101st Airborne in the IDF, is that a dig??

lol

Edit, there we go. :D
Old 11 September 2007, 18:51
Confirmed User

I just ordered Ethopian Longberry and Sumatra Mandheling. One pound each. Let me know when you have Kona (which I don't like from anyone else but you).
? I have an Amex card associated with my Paypal account. Do you get less money for Amex? I will add a different card if so (I just like those miles, but not at the cost to good guys).
Old 12 September 2007, 01:14
Confirmed User

Thanks jane, I'm roasting now and it'll go out tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on the Kona, as well as some killer new ultra-special coffees coming in soon.

Don't worry about the AMEX, I want it To be conveinient for everyone, and anyway, I have no idea how Paypal treats it.

Thanks for the order!
Old 13 September 2007, 14:34
Confirmed User

I just roasted up these samples, of which I may purchase one or two:

Quote:
NOT COE - but great Relationship coffee -Colombia Los Progresivos -- San Antonio de Morales Micro-Lot (06 Crop)

Nicaragua COE Luis A Vasquez, Maria Gomez, Mario Torrez, Santos Martinez/Prodecoop COE #8 (2006)

Panama Esmeralda Production (2007 Crop)

Panama Esmeralda Production (2006 Lot)

Aged Zambia

Yemen Ismaili
Old 13 September 2007, 17:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
I just roasted up these samples, of which I may purchase one or two:
Let me know what's good. I'm really interested in the Esmerelda. Just because it's supposed to be so good.
Old 13 September 2007, 23:12
Confirmed User

I will. The problem is it would be an ~$30lb coffee, and I'm unsure about buying a 130lb bag of it.
Old 14 September 2007, 12:45
Authorized Personnel

Just got a pound of Colombia Reserva. Some girls like jewelry, some like clothes - I like coffee. If it's as good as everyone on this thread is saying, I have a few others I'll pass it on to. Thanks!! :)
Old 14 September 2007, 17:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
I will. The problem is it would be an ~$30lb coffee, and I'm unsure about buying a 130lb bag of it.
So the auction coffee was 14 bucks last year-that more than doubled this year and it's not auction. Wow! Is the Esmeralda hype? I thought it was good, not awe inspiring. However, I might have gotten from a roaster who is just adaquate. I'll buy at least one lb if you get it.

Our new posting rules