SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 30 October 2009, 19:38

Insanity

Being an admitted fan of gimmicky workouts, and also liking to completely change up my routines, I purchased the Insanity workout series. It's from the people that made P90X, which I used a couple of years ago with really good results.

Long story short, I just got done training for another half marathon, so I was sick of running for a while......but I need my cardio or I become a fat bastard in record time (there are witnesses to that on here)...So I bought this.

Mother of God.........

This workout is -ludicous-. I've never been so gassed, shaky, gonna puke on my shoes tired in my whole life. If I keep this up for 60 days, I will either be a Greek God or dead......

Right now I'm guessing the latter....

If you are looking to get -back- into shape, or want to -start- a workout routine, then don't buy this baby. Seriously.

Anybody else have it?
Old 30 October 2009, 20:45
Authorized Personnel

I had to read it a couple times to figure out that the name of the workout series is called "insanity" and that isn't just your ajdective for it.

No...I haven't tried it.
Old 31 October 2009, 04:30
Doc McNasty

MDB23, can you post some details?
Old 31 October 2009, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post
MDB23, can you post some details?
Sorry about that.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLK28BHJDd8
Old 31 October 2009, 15:09
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

OK, put up the start photo and another at 60 days.

It does look like it will get the heart pumping, but I've never been a fan of workouts that look like aerobics. I know, I know -- this isn't aerobics -- but it "looks" like it.

Good luck, though....
Old 31 October 2009, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
OK, put up the start photo and another at 60 days.

It does look like it will get the heart pumping, but I've never been a fan of workouts that look like aerobics. I know, I know -- this isn't aerobics -- but it "looks" like it.

Good luck, though....
LOL. Unless the workout can cure "ugly," then you don't want to see my pics.

I'm still doing pushups, situps, and chin ups after I get done with the workouts......

Like I said, it's 60 days, and then I'll be on to something else. In a year or two, I'll pull it out of the cabinet and go, "huh," and do it again.

But after my last half marathon training program, I had to do something else....I am sooooooooo sick of running after doing 8, 10, and 12 milers or a regular basis for the past 4 months.

I don't even like -looking- at my running shoes right now.
Old 31 October 2009, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb23
But after my last half marathon training program, I had to do something else....I am sooooooooo sick of running after doing 8, 10, and 12 milers or a regular basis for the past 4 months.

I don't even like -looking- at my running shoes right now....
What about mountain biking? In your job it could be a PITA if you get injured while working out, but all of the guys that I know who are serious mountain bikers are in badass physical condition.

I'm currently giving it some thought myself, as I would like to do one of two things next year (or both). I'd like to win an adventure race, either solo or as part of a team, although I will be limited to something local. I'd also like to summit the 3rd highest mountain on our continent.

For either, I think it won't hurt to build up strength in my legs, as well as get my lungs accustomed to sucking in as much O2 as is available. And my near future is likely to give me a lot of opportunity to bike as frequently as I want to....
Old 31 October 2009, 16:51

I actuallly own a pretty snazzy mountain bike (Trek) that I bought back in the day....

To be honest, it's just been a matter of laziness on my part. By the time I strap the bike to the car, drive to a more rural area where there are some trails, etc., it gets pretty time consuming.

I would absofreakinglutely love to climb something before I get old. That, and I want to do a team event with my daughter. Something fun, not too hard, etc. I would like to think that she will grow up interested in this stuff and will want to run races with her old man.
Old 31 October 2009, 18:13
JDAM
Visitor

Wow, that looks like a hell of a climb! Do they allow you to freestyle or is it guided?

Sidenote: Mountain biking is definitely one of the most badass things you can do to stay in shape. Off the path mountain biking especially...
Old 31 October 2009, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDAM
Do they allow you to freestyle or is it guided?
It's Mexico, you can climb it anyway you want, although the way I intend to do it is pretty much following everyone else up one of the main trails....
Old 7 November 2009, 10:37
Confirmed User

This is gay-yer than gay.
Old 7 November 2009, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey View Post
This is gay-yer than gay.
Sorry, wasn't trying to one up ya.
Old 10 November 2009, 23:43
Authorized Personnel

Anything that gets you working hard and in shape is OK in my book. If a descent program can hold your interest then you'll probably get something out of it. I'm a bit of a Crossfit and IKFF homer but everything has it's place.
Old 10 November 2009, 23:55
Retired Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb23 View Post
Sorry, wasn't trying to one up ya.
I saw what you did there.
"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices." -Bill Watterson
Old 11 November 2009, 00:10
Sweep the leg...

The complaints I've heard is that people see the instructor -- not a small dude -- and then the pace is so much that they don't build ANY muscle. Burn fat, yes, build muscle, no...

With P90X, supposedly -- never did it, so can't vouch for this -- it built muscle while increasing cardio and endurance.

MDB23, is fat burning and endurance building your goal?
Old 12 November 2009, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grappler View Post
MDB23, is fat burning and endurance building your goal?
Sorry it took so long to respond, but I somehow missed this thread.

To answer your question, yes. I am still doing body weight strength training on the side (pull ups, push ups, sit ups, etc.), and am basically looking for a new form of cardio to try out.

This is primarily due to my frustration with my physique. I followed nutritional plans to the letter, ran sprints, ran stairs, did long runs (6-10 miles), etc...... and I have never been able to shake the "Fedor Physique."

Once, just once, in my life I want to be ripped up, dammit.

So I thought that I would give this a whirl. Can't hurt......well, actually it does hurt.... a lot.
Old 17 November 2009, 00:16
Authorized Personnel

I just ordered the program and hope to start in by the first of next month. I also plan on doing strength training along with this cardio workout. Wish me luck and I will let you all know how it works out.
Old 17 February 2010, 00:20
Better than BBS

Quote:
Once, just once, in my life I want to be ripped up, dammit.
Crossthread points for you
I think I'll try, for the same reasons as you, bored with running, mostly, but the other ones, too
Old 17 February 2010, 00:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
...This is primarily due to my frustration with my physique. I followed nutritional plans to the letter, ran sprints, ran stairs, did long runs (6-10 miles), etc...... and I have never been able to shake the "Fedor Physique."...
I feel your pain!

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 17 February 2010, 10:59
Authorized Personnel

this program is kicking my ass all over the place!

Our new posting rules