SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 6 August 2018, 06:20
Chuck Norris Approved

Ranger Cred Check

Was looking into a few self defense programs for HH6 and our daughter and I came across this place not to far from us. Bio for one of the instructors claims he was a Marine and Ranger and to have taught martial arts to RI's at Camp Merrill as well as Rangers and soldiers at Benning.

Here is a link to the bio

Eric Hennings

http://newalbanydefense.com/about-us...ense-founders/
Old 6 August 2018, 06:35
In Vino Veritas

Iím sure lots of people have. That would be a hard check I would think.
Old 6 August 2018, 08:08
BTDT

Merrill is Mtns, right? Seems a weird location for H2H training, unless it was just some contract "train the trainer" thing. The Benning blurb (Darby) makes more sense. Never heard of CKD in my life. Wonder if this was in the 90's when every Tom, Dick, and Harry "system" was wrangling to be *The* system for XXXXX? Like all the 90's knife BS. If you want to be a pita, ask him for his 201/214 and all the "Hey I set foot in their AO" certificates that military units give out like Halloween candy. Of course - Photoshop, so ...
Old 6 August 2018, 10:07
Administrator

It says he taught the INSTRUCTORS at Camp Merrill. Sounds like exactly what Poly described. Back in the day everyone wanted to be the official H2H style and the RTB and others evaluated many forms of MA. So he probably worked with the RI's for a total of about 4 hours at Mountain Phase. So, while it could be technically true, it's definitely misleading.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 6 August 2018, 10:54
0311/8651

When I met Matt( now retired SEAL) he was 1st phase bud/s instructor, SCARS was the big thing.(mid 90s)
S/F
Old 6 August 2018, 11:23
Been There Done That

The Mountain Ranger Camp has always had a Ranger Qualified Marine assigned to one of its Companies to act as a liaison for Marine students there. Don't know this guy personally...but I'm in the Dahlonega AO now.

A quick trip up to Camp Merrill will confirm it.

It could well be as stated previously.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 6 August 2018, 12:36
Been There Done That

I want to say each BN (90s or whenever on, but none at 6th from 2012-15) had a Marine walker (RI certified to “walk” or grade patrols, vs just on staff).

That seemed to be the case in my class anyway.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 6 August 2018, 17:23
Been There Done That

Well, based on the video on their home page I would find somewhere else if you are truly trying to find a self defense school.
Old 6 August 2018, 19:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dRanger View Post
Well, based on the video on their home page I would find somewhere else if you are truly trying to find a self defense school.
Agreed.

I trained consistently in martial arts for 7 years. My take on self defense is that situational awareness and firearms training are more relevant than training in a martial art.
Old 6 August 2018, 19:10
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76233 View Post
Agreed.

I trained consistently in martial arts for 7 years. My take on self defense is that situational awareness and firearms training are more relevant than training in a martial art.
There is so much wrong with that statement, but I don't want to hijack this thread.
Old 6 August 2018, 19:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
There is so much wrong with that statement, but I don't want to hijack this thread.
If u don't mind. Can you shoot me a pm explaining why?
Old 6 August 2018, 19:25
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76233 View Post
If u don't mind. Can you shoot me a pm explaining why?
Absolutely!
Old 6 August 2018, 19:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Absolutely!
Thanks
Old 6 August 2018, 20:08
Policeman Officer

My apologies for posting in the Ranger form but military background is meaningless for a martial arts instructor. It adds no credibility whatsoever even if he were telling the absolute truth. Also the "Grandmaster" thing is straight from the 80s.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 6 August 2018, 21:14
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dRanger View Post
Agreed. It was not for myself but I still would not send my family there.
Old 6 August 2018, 21:16
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
I dont mind the hijack. While I agree and disagree with his statement I would like to hear your thoughts/insight as well.
Old 6 August 2018, 21:20
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
My apologies for posting in the Ranger form but military background is meaningless for a martial arts instructor. It adds no credibility whatsoever even if he were telling the absolute truth. Also the "Grandmaster" thing is straight from the 80s.
I agree. I am mainly concerned on whether or not he is a legit Ranger. His claims to have instructed RI's is irrelevant to me if he actually is. I equate that to having a Marine black belt in MCMAP saying he trained his unit in h2h. If he is trying to make a dime on the good name of others, I have an issue with that and will address it with ownership if needed. If he is truly a Ranger than I will stay in my lane even if he does need to clear up his misleading bio.
Old 6 August 2018, 21:28
Been There Done That

Be nice to have the year(s) and a more specific unit(s)...You're in the right arena, and the right people are responding to you.
Old 6 August 2018, 21:28
Authorized Personnel

Okie dokie. I'll say basically what I said in my PM to Mike. In my experience as a 30 year criminal investigator and someone who has practiced and taught martial arts for 41 years now, I have learned that the overwhelming majority of women who are physically attacked are not done so in positions where a gun would help them - at least not immediately - but could in fact get them hurt even more if they present a gun.

Most women are physically attacked in positions whereby they are caught completely unaware and usually unable to retrieve a weapon - if they have one. Most women who carry a weapon, again IME, carry them in their purses and not readily available. In addition, a large number of them freeze without the ability to actually use the weapon, as do many men without the proper mindset.

I do agree that the best weapon is SA, but that can only keep one so safe when there is a determined attacker. I have taught a lot of women through H2H courses and I generally have to spend a lot of time training their MINDS to be prepared for the violence before anything else much less a weapon. Many of them - with firearms and no mindset to use them - would only put themselves in much more dangerous situations.

With all that said, firearms are a great tool to have, but again, most women will have to fight their way out of attacks in order to get to their weapons first, and then they have to have the ability to shoot through the stress. Remember, most women are accosted from ambush positions and will have to fight their way out of the physical assault in order to grab their weapons and then put rounds down range. If they can't fight their way out, the weapon will serve absolutely no purpose.

Weapons are great, but they are only a tool. A good martial arts school that is more martial than art will teach SA, as well as a way to create distance in order to escape or generate enough time for the target to obtain their weapons. Again, this is just from my experience. Others may have valid points and I could be completely wrong...regardless, I wish you the best success in finding an instructor that meets both yours and their needs.
Old 6 August 2018, 21:45
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Be nice to have the year(s) and a more specific unit(s)...You're in the right arena, and the right people are responding to you.
I wish I knew. His bio, as stated above is misleading and very vague.

Our new posting rules