SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Special Operations Tributes

Old 28 May 2010, 09:00
In Limbo

COL KB Reid, RIP

Colonel Kurush Barucha-Reid, age 55, passed away on 25 May 2010 after a year long bout with Pancreatic Cancer. He was both a Special Forces and Military Intelligence Officer with an incredible history. A consumate professional, he will be missed. From the Fort Meade ******** page:

"The U.S. Army Field Support Center regrets to inform the Fort Meade community of the loss of COL Kurush Bharucha-Reid, also known as COL K. B-Reid, the unit Commander, who passed away Wednesday. A memorial service will be held in remembrance of K.B-Reid on June 1 at 2 p.m. at the Argonne Hills Chapel Center. For more information, call 1SG Melva Henry at 301-833-9622 or e-mail melva.henry@us.army.mil."

COL Reid will be buried at Arlington, DTG TBD.

RIP Colonel Reid, we will miss you.
Old 28 May 2010, 12:37
In God We Trust...all others are suspect

RIP Sir
Old 1 June 2010, 13:55
Nothing better to do...

Rest In Peace
Old 1 June 2010, 18:21
In Limbo

A fitting memorial was held today with comrades and friends from around the world. It was a packed chapel.
Old 2 June 2010, 15:56
Secure The Victory!

Rest In Peace, COL.
Old 12 August 2010, 21:01
In Limbo

COL Reid is to be interred at Arlington on 9 Sep 10 at 1100.
Old 15 September 2010, 08:55

For what it's worth, Kurush and I went to hight school together (Cranbrook Class of '73). He enlisted a month before I did (he was a month older). He went to Leonard Wood in June and I went to Polk in July but we met at Benning in November. The man could not make a front PLF to save his soul, got recycled through tower week three times. We met again at Bragg when he was in B phase and I was in the 82nd.

We stayed in contact off and on after that; I last heard from him in 2007, just as I was going to Washington, but we couldn't get together.

Our 40th class reunion will be in Michigan in 2013, but I'll be at Arlington with one of my oldest freinds that year.

So long "Krush. " See you on the other side.
Old 15 September 2010, 18:07
Been There Done That

Thank you for your service, and sacrifice to this great nation.

Comrades celebrate decorated commander, friend at memorial ceremonyBharucha-Reid, 55, was 'a great American soldier'

By Lisa R. Rhodes

Staff Writer

Col. Kurusch Bharucha-Reid, 1955-2010

The life and military service of Col. Kurusch Bharucha-Reid, commander of Fort Meade's Army Field Support Center, were celebrated during a memorial service June 1 at Argonne Hills Chapel Center.

Reid died May 26 of pancreatic cancer at Walter Reed Army Medical Center after struggling with the disease for more than a year. He was 55.

Called a "great American Solider" by Maj. Gen. Mary A. Legere, commanding general of the United States Army Intelligence and Security Command, Reid was remembered by about 650 colleagues and friends gathered to honor his 37-year Army career.

The Army Field Support Center's mission is to provide specialized administrative support to supported Department of the Army units. Reid, who reported to Legere, commanded the unit from May 2009 until his death.

The general spoke of how Reid continued to lead the unit from his hospital bed and how the headquarters' first sergeant brought the unit's colors to his bedside.

"He was a principled, compassionate and disciplined leader," Legere said. "Despite his illness, he remained focused on his organization and mission."

The hour-long memorial service began with a musical prelude and welcome by INSCOM Chaplain (Col.) David E. Smith.

"We're here to celebrate the life of a patriot and hero," Smith said, noting that in following Reid's example, the service members attending the memorial should also "give 100 percent."

Reid was raised in Detroit, where he graduated from the Cranbrook School in 1973. He then joined the Army under the Special Forces Enlistment Option. From 1974 through 1979, Reid served with the 2nd Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group (A) and then attended the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, Calif., to study the Korean language.

A year later, Reid was assigned to the Special Forces Detachment Korea, serving as the sole U.S. Army advisor to the Republic of Korea Third Special Forces Brigade and participating in numerous Mobile Training Teams throughout Asia. Promoted to sergeant first class in 1983, he left Korea to attend the Officer Candidate School at Fort Benning, Ga.

Reid was commissioned as a military intelligence officer and, in 1988, completed his bachelor of science degree from the State University of New York. Until 1997, he served in various capacities including operations officer and company commander.

In the years to come, Reid would deploy to Bosnia to serve as the commander of a DoD Human Intelligence element and then deploy to Afghanistan as the first HUMNIT officer assigned to provide direct support to the U.S. Army Special Operations Command. In 2006, Reid deployed to Iraq, where he served in an interagency coordination cell. Prior to his service at Fort Meade, he was also the chief for the military group and senior DoD instructor at the Inter-Agency Strategic Intelligence training program.

In a short video tribute during the memorial, a young Reid was pictured with a black beard and afro, which garnered laughter from the audience. Reid was also shown in the field, in formation with Soldiers and with senior military leaders at special events.

Retired Col. Don Fox, a family friend, said at the memorial service that it was the colonel's nature "to give more than to receive" and that he lived by the golden rule.

"He was the most thoughtful and gracious person I have ever known," Fox said.

In another tribute, Bob Ward, a colleague who worked with Reid when he was deployed in Afghanistan, said the colonel often signed his correspondence as "UB." When Ward asked Reid what the initials stood for, he said they meant "undercover brother."

A hearty laugh could again be heard from the attendees.

To honor Reid's military service, the song "Ballad of the Green Beret" was played followed by a last roll call, a 21-gun salute and "Taps."

After the benediction and postlude, Legere led everyone in a salute to the fallen Soldier memorial, comprised of boots, a rifle and an Army helmet displayed in front of the chapel sanctuary.

"He was the consummate professional officer and a caring gentleman," said Lt. Col. Brian Wilson, deputy commander of the unit, during an interview after the service. "It's a loss that's felt by each and every Soldier and civilian in the unit."

Reid is survived by his mother Dr. Rodabe Bharucha-Reid and his brother Rustam Bharucha-Reid. He will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery in September

Last edited by agonyea; 3 September 2011 at 21:07.
Old 15 September 2010, 18:40
Administrator

RIP COL.

Cranbrook is the school my kids would probably attend if we still lived in Michigan. I used to live about seven miles from it.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 15 September 2010, 19:15
In Limbo

COL Reid was interred w/full military honors at Arlington on 9 Sep 10.
Old 24 October 2010, 20:38
True Origin Not Known

It's worth a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeatty View Post
For what it's worth

on this board.

Hand salute.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin

“I was recently on a boat to Alcatraz. ‘Why can’t we reopen it for all the bad guys in San Francisco now?’ Out-of-towners all laughed.”
“The residents on the boat didn’t.”
Old 24 October 2010, 20:21

COL Reid and I served together in AF in 2004; we were commanders of separate units for the same agency. I knew him before AF and worked with him after the tour. I remember that he made arrangements for me to fly out of Kabul to Tashkent and commercial air through London directly to ORD Chicago but not before putting me up in a 5 star hotel. He gave up some of his space to my command at BAF and KAF and always offered assistance and companionship. He was a true gentleman and I can tell you that KB made a major contribution to our country. He was someone we are all honored to have known. I think of him often.

Our new posting rules