SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Closed Thread

Old 31 May 2005, 20:23
Been There Done That

Wackenhut Special Ops Opp

I really don't know anything about it other than what it says here.

ALCON,
Looking for resumes on former SOF guys who are looking for work here in
the CONUS world.
Immediate position to be filled.
Position: Director of Special Operations for The Wackenhut Corporation.
Approximately 60% travel (all in US)
Must be in shape and able to do PT, present a sharp crisp appearance.
Must have solid tactical skill-sets, be able to conduct target analysis,
and plan operations against hardened targets.
A small team of dedicated individuals will execute your op-plan against
the target.
Must be very comfortable utilizing computers, creating power-point
presentations, conducting briefings, etc.
Knowledge of Microsoft Office is essential.
Will also be called upon to conduct training/classes from time to time
so good platform skills are a plus.
Must have a background in Special Operations (i.e. SF, JSOC, Batt, SEAL,
etc)
Pay is up to 90k, depending on experience and qualifications.

Please forward this to as many interested parties as possible. This
position will be filled soon.
If interested, please forward your resume to Mr. Eric Wilson, Vice
President of Special Operations, efwilson@wackenhut.com
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk
Old 31 May 2005, 20:28
Been There Done That

Wait a minute!

Well, I must admit that's the first time I've seen the term "Batt" listed down there in the usual suspects.

I like it.
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk
Old 1 June 2005, 10:40
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara
WTF?
Wackenhut has years of contracting experience and networking for the protection of sensitive installations in CONUS. It only makes sense that they would be attacking the Red-Cell type market that is beginning to open up in regards to Homeland Defense.

Contrary to paperback novels, your hair tied in a pony-tail, blue jeans and an attitude T-Shirt, and a mild case of Dunlap disease aren't the better methods of getting and maintaining your client's attention (or the contract itself).

Nothing strange going on here at all....
Old 1 June 2005, 12:23
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southoftheborder
Wackenhut has years of contracting experience and networking for the protection of sensitive installations in CONUS.
Nothing strange going on here at all....
Agreed, they provide security at a number of nuclear power plants among other installations.
Old 1 June 2005, 14:44
Confirmed User

I'm I wrong in thinking that 90K is actually a little low considering the quality and creds of the type of person that they are looking for?
Old 1 June 2005, 14:50
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by keller
I'm I wrong in thinking that 90K is actually a little low considering the quality and creds of the type of person that they are looking for?
Yes, you are wrong in thinking that.
Old 1 June 2005, 14:55
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by keller
You're stateside the whole time, don't have to worry about deployments for extended periods away from family, and won't be getting shot at by the bad guys. Sure, you'll be travelling a bit, but then again, who doesn't? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Price isn't too bad, either.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 1 June 2005, 14:57
Confirmed User

I must have read more into it. Thanks for setting me right.
Old 1 June 2005, 15:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75
You're stateside the whole time, don't have to worry about deployments for extended periods away from family, and won't be getting shot at by the bad guys. Sure, you'll be travelling a bit, but then again, who doesn't? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Price isn't too bad, either.
Plus you get to live in Palm Beach Gardens which is great for golfing and fishing if your at the Co. HQ. Sounds like more than the $25K nuclear gate guards is in the works. Wakenhut has had the nuclear gig from back in the 70s so maybe its there or another venture/sector.
Old 1 June 2005, 15:20
Old Scroll

I've worked as a Lieutenant for Wakenhut's Custom Protection division in both Memphis and in Miami. Some aspects of the company leave (left... I parted company with them a decade ago...) something to be desired. But then again, if you fit into their mold, then I'd say its GTG.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 6 June 2005, 17:57

Wackenhut

Anyone considering this job must bear one thing in mind....Wackenhut keeps those DOE contracts by looking good. You make them look bad by the defenders losing and you will be looking for new work quick. Independent thinking is not high on their list of desired attributes.

You suggest threat scenarios that don't fit with the established mindset.....you have just stepped on a huge landmine.

There are some very good people with excellent skills working for them.....unfortunately...they are not necessarily the ones running the show.

Retired Army MP Colonels are in vogue. Wackenhut has been known to hold a position open for up to six months for their buddies about to retire.

Check this web site for critical views of Wackenhut....just be prepared to compare and contrast what you read, hear, and see when dealing with them.

http://www.eyeonwackenhut.com/

I do not suggest the web site is accurate or without bias....just take it for what it is worth and make up your own mind.

Their record as being a "people oriented place to work" absolutely sucks.

That being said....their health insurance is top notch...none better. Their pay is decent. Their mission is good.....implementation hurts a bit.

They wear military style unifoms....do military style work....and think they are still in the miltary when it comes to management style....except there is no IG to keep them somewhat honest.
Old 3 July 2005, 11:24
Probationary User

WACKENHUT

I worked for Wackenhut International Inc (Coral Gables HQ). I was based
Jeddah and then transferred to HK. Both locations I assisted in setting up
security companies.

They also ran the crash fire rescue teams for Saudi Airports employing many ex
Brit military fire services personnel.

Interesting employer, no chance to use real initiative, very rigid and inflexible.
At the very top it appeared to me to be very political with considerable power politics.
Old 16 July 2005, 04:33
Probationary User

Coming from the Nuclear Security field, they run force on force drills to a major amount of the sites while the NRC grades the outcome. Buy the way I make way more than 25,000USD a year. ADVFOROPS
Old 16 July 2005, 05:51
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by advforops
Coming from the Nuclear Security field, they run force on force drills to a major amount of the sites while the NRC grades the outcome. Buy the way I make way more than 25,000USD a year. ADVFOROPS
Good on ya! I think you guys out west, like the old? DOE-SRTs have always been the cream of the crop in the industry. Look at the plain nuclear security guard and its about $25k otherwise nationwide last I looked. I think Wackenhut calls them custom officers or something. Might be wrong though.

Geographically you guys are also at the birthplace/hub of the industry so there has been considerable NRC oversight out there for decades. The area also is/will be on the receiving end of a lot of radioactive waste. That may explain why you guys have enjoyed much more than some guy standing post at a energy producing reactor in BFE. The only site that I recall "high speed military types" being employed as policy was Savannah River but I think thats been shut down or changed usage for 20 years or more.
Old 22 July 2005, 23:36
BTDT

MY Dad was a Wackenhut trainer for the guards/SRT protecting the SPR in LA and Texas for several years until Wackenhut lost the contract. Wackenhut has several sub companies. Wackenhut Services Inc (WSI) handles the BIG GOVT contracts IE: Savannah river, SPR, Rocky Flats, Nevada test sight, etc. Their weapons, pay and training are considered top notch within the company and are determined by threat assessments done buy the DOE. Savannah River= M-4's, SIG's, and armed HELO's. SPR= .357 wheel guns, 870's, and pick up trucks.

The Wackenhut Corp. (TWC) is considered the civilian side of the company. They perform rent-a-cop duties for court houses, shopping malls, banks, and Nuclear Power plants. These guys are usually on the lower end of the pay scale.

DISCLAIMER: This info is about 10 years old. Dad left Wackenhut and went to work for the new company that took over the SPR.

Last edited by Direct action chuck; 22 July 2005 at 23:40.
Old 23 July 2005, 01:15
Confirmed User

Prior to 9/11, their security manuals were available on line to down load. Outlines their training, weapons they were required to have on hand, individual duties, etc. It even outlined the types of explosives they were required to have on site and how much. You could even get their SOP's to certain responses! Someone got a little carried away with the freedom of information act! Its all off the web now as far as I can tell. I talked to one of their helo pilots, who, I believe was from the Tennessee facility. They were flying the Eurocopter BK-117. Not a cheap bird by any means.
Old 26 July 2005, 22:34

Two of the oldest BK's in the country...nicely maintained....but OLD. Mission creep has worked its usual magic....DOE owned aircraft that should have been replaced a long time ago with updated engines...performance....equipment. Lots of turmoil at SRS currently....bad morale due terrible management...usual Wackenhut story it seems.
Old 29 July 2005, 00:31
Confirmed User

I knew it was to good to be true! You would think DOE would have good birds. What an environment.....being a security officer surrounded by scientists and nuclear physics Phd's.

Trying to protect these people who probably look at you as a low paid security guard who they think barley graduated high school. Hey....sounds like being a cop.

Our new posting rules