SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 3 January 2012, 15:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
No need. But thanks for offering.

I think that it is enough if those who may not have a deeper appreciation for the way that societies function in Latin America, including Mexico, gain a little more insight.

We are talking about societies where your bank balance is not as important as your last name, your skin tone, and your family tree.

You will see blondes in Buenos Aires that look German, and actually are, in terms of racial extraction. But then they open their mouths and the machine gun Spanish staccato erupts. I have seen girls in Uruguay that were Italian for all intents and purposes, except that they were not born in Europe.

Look at the Miss Universe competitors from Latin America. They are of European extraction. They just happen to come from wealthy families in the highest echelons of society in their respective countries. I cannot remember ever seeing a Miss Universe or Miss World competitor from Latin America that was predominately Indian or African ("Indian" in a Latin American context refers to the original inhabitants of the continent prior to the arrival of the Conquistadors).

When illegals call themselves mojados, it is tantamount to an admission that they are poor, that they are not from the social elites, and that they are, in a sense, mocking both themselves and their racist societies. What else can they do about these matters but employ irony?

Roger. Hijack complete and over. Now back to your regularly scheduled 1811 Job Announcement.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 3 January 2012, 15:23
Authorized Personnel

So... you guys going to apply for that job or what?
Old 4 January 2012, 11:29
Confirmed User

+1

I recommend this job in the highest. I've done the gamet of border LEO work and I've been pretty content doing this. The variety of work and ever expanding authority gives the LEO an ever expanding playing field which will never leave one bored. Long road to get hired but well worth it. Good luck to all.
Old 4 January 2012, 12:29
The Copenhagen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Just an FYI

"Wets" is not derogatory.
I gotta disagree with you on this brother. This day and age it is considered derogatory.
Old 4 January 2012, 12:30
The Copenhagen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Now back to your regularly scheduled 1811 Job Announcement.
Wait! This is a job announcement? Oh shit, my bad...
Old 4 January 2012, 19:17
Amaint de Merde

Like anything, its what you make of it. Definitely can be an excellent gig, just research it and know what you are getting in to. Doesn't pertain too much to laterals, but general hiring (which also 'recently' closed), be ready to do a career on the border.

Another thing to note, if you are a current 1811 in Competitive Service (don't think it applies to Excepted Service folks, though never hurts to try) and want to lateral to ICE, get to know some management folks in the office you want to move to. Then contact the recruiter through them about doing a direct lateral hire. ICE still authorizes direct hiring of lateral agents by the SAC, you don't have to wait (theoretically, different SACs handle it their own way) for a notice to come open to lateral.
Old 4 January 2012, 19:42
Unemployed Stunt Double

There is an HSI agent who does guest lectures for us here at Fort Bragg. He told me about when he was working in NOLA post-Katrina, wearing an ICE windbreaker. He said that they had endless numbers of folks approaching to get some free ice from them.

Probably won't have that problem with an HSI raid jacket.
Old 5 January 2012, 01:42
Amaint de Merde

So true. We use to have this awesome recruitment poster of an iceburg in the water. It read something like "you only see 10%" or something like that. The joke use to be "the other 90% are drowning under all the paperwork and BS..."
Old 5 January 2012, 09:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARED HOT View Post
I gotta disagree with you on this brother. This day and age it is considered derogatory.

I will defer to your more recent experience. In my days as a USBP Agent it wasnt even an issue. That was some years ago though. Not surprised that the PC Police have turned it into an issue these days.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 6 January 2012, 22:41
Confirmed User

GWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
Sharky,

If I may add: there is a difference in connotation between "mojado" and "wetbacks" from the lingustic perspective.

As you have correctly stated, mojado is a slang word that was historically introduced by the aliens (specifically the ones who entered via Rio Grande). Illegal aliens will not take offense at this word because it is their term that they use to describe themselves.

ETA: "Wetbacks" did not have a pejorative meaning initially (otherwise I doubt that Operation Wetback would be named as such), however these days the word seems to have gained a negative connotation.
Yes mam there is a difference between "Mojado", "Wetback", "Wet", etc. The more curious thing is how an agent of hispanic decent cannot use the term "mojado" when speaking to a customer and at the same time another agent who is not hispanic can. Generally speaking "Wet", "Wetback", "TONC", and other words that were commonly used on the southern border are no longer considered kosher. If I may also add and as I have seen if a Mexican Citizen citizen refers to another Mexican as a "Wet", "Mojado", or otherwise it is equally seen as offensive. The general rule of thumb in agents and in "groups" is just don't use those words.
Old 6 January 2012, 23:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC View Post
The general rule of thumb in agents and in "groups" is just don't use those words.
I can see that being a respectful rule of thumb. Thanks for that.

~D-6606~
Old 7 January 2012, 14:11
The Copenhagen Kid

I have asked several friends that are of Mexican decent if they are offended to the words "Wets" or "Wet Backs". They said those words have been highly offensive to them for as long as they can remember. Some of them even went as far to say that if they heard someone referring to that word, that particular someone would get knocked the fuck out. Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.
Old 7 January 2012, 14:19
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I just asked my wife and I got the strangest answer.

She told me that if someone called her or her friends "wetbacks", that she would laugh at that person -- either out of pity for their intellect, or because they saw the humor in the word (as in, a friend called them that).

But she told me that if she heard it used to describe a worker, someone who is here and doesn't have a lot of money (those that it is usually used to describe), she would personally take it upon herself to reply to the person that used that word -- as she considers it to be GREATLY offensive and derogatory when used in that manner.

BTW, she is Mexican by birth -- US by naturalization....
Old 7 January 2012, 17:10
Whatever Sucks the Most

Her response makes perfect sense to me.

Your wife's social and economic status inures her to such insults. A peer could use that term with her in a teasing fashion with no problem.

Using the term to refer to the poor, to those who, in fact, often are in the US literally because they got "wet" crossing the Rio Grande and walked across the border, is insensitive and derogatory.
Old 7 January 2012, 22:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Using the term to refer to the poor, to those who, in fact, often are in the US literally because they got "wet" crossing the Rio Grande and walked across the border, is insensitive and derogatory.
So would referring to those who got "wet" crossing the border as "wets" be derogatory?
Old 7 January 2012, 23:59
Confirmed User

Yes.
Old 8 January 2012, 00:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC View Post
Yes.
Why?
Old 8 January 2012, 00:46
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nousdefions794
Why?
Because it is. It isn't our decison to decide if it is derogatory or not, that belongs to the recipient of the term. Continuing to use it only demos one's disregard for the other. If you don't care about this, then it reinforces the reality that it IS derogatory....
Old 8 January 2012, 04:43
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nousdefions794 View Post
So would referring to those who got "wet" crossing the border as "wets" be derogatory?
Are you trying to antagonize me? Seriously.

I am looking hard for any sincerity in your post, and I am coming up dry. No pun intended.

If you are trying to be amusing, throw a smiley into your post. That way old, crazy fucks like myself do not get the impression that you are looking for a beat-down.

Do not PM me.
Old 8 January 2012, 10:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Are you trying to antagonize me? Seriously.
I'm not trying to antagonize you or be amusing. As a gringo who has spent a lot of time in Latin America I’m just trying to figure this out.

The word was used to refer to illegals. I can see how someone who isn’t illegal would be insulted if they were called illegal, but we don’t say the word illegal is a derogatory word.

In a bar, someone said I looked like a former convict. I was insulted, but I don’t consider the word convict derogatory.

Our new posting rules