SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 22 January 2014, 19:11
hippies beware

Gents,

No more phone calls, please.

OOC, out

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain

"All that we see is perspective, not fact...All that we hear is opinion, not truth."
--Marcus Aurelius

"The time you spent typing and formatting this post would have been better spent hitting yourself in the face with a hammer."
--Jimbo

Wise old man--"That woman was SEXY!"
Young lad--"She's out of my league."
Wise old man--"Look...let women figure out why they wont sleep with you...dont do it for them."
Old 22 January 2014, 22:59
Been There Done That

OOC,

Is this going to be a situation where your company is going to bring people on as 1099's for captured work or are you looking for employees?

Also, if 1099, are you looking for people living in the area where your company is based, captures work, or is this going to be irrelevant?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 23 January 2014, 01:59
hippies beware

Responded via PM.

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain

"All that we see is perspective, not fact...All that we hear is opinion, not truth."
--Marcus Aurelius

"The time you spent typing and formatting this post would have been better spent hitting yourself in the face with a hammer."
--Jimbo

Wise old man--"Look...let women figure out why they wont sleep with you...dont do it for them."
Old 26 January 2014, 21:22
hippies beware

These will be "seasonal" task order based W-2 Employee positions.

Still receiving great responses. Thanks again, SOCNET.

OOC, out

--Mark Twain

--Marcus Aurelius

--Jimbo

Old 26 January 2014, 21:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofcontrol View Post
Gents,

I am overwhelmed by the response. THANK YOU. My Ops staff were going through the emails individually while others were stacking on top. Yesterday, I had them send out a canned response (as much as I hate them) just so everybody at least knows that their emails haven't fallen of deaf ears.

SN,

YES. At some point. Shoot me a PM.

OOC, out
Quote:
Gents,

No more phone calls, please.

OOC, out
Be careful what you ask for...

The response is a clear indicator as to how bad the economy and job market is...
Old 27 January 2014, 01:00
hippies beware

You ain't kidding, CSM.

Over 200 reply's...which is why it may take a while for people to get a response.

It also indicates how very competitive the market is, which means these reply's need to be locked on. Unlike times and companies past, my OPS staff is not a room full of big-tittied, hotties looking for buzz words...they are former NCO's and even an O that have been outside the wire and shit sand turds.

P.S., folks: They hate the word "Operator". Unless your resume claims very specific units, or you actually worked for AT&T...best not use it.

OOC, out

--Mark Twain

--Marcus Aurelius

--Jimbo

Old 27 January 2014, 09:08
Administrator

Quote:
P.S., folks: They hate the word "Operator". Unless your resume claims very specific units, or you actually worked for AT&T...best not use it.

OOC, out

And SOCNET continues to spread around the world.

OOC: Good luck with this. My guy in Memphis might have an interest as well if you think he has the right quals.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 27 January 2014, 10:20
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
OOC: Good luck with this. My guy in Memphis might have an interest as well if you think he has the right quals.
If this is the same guy I think it is... I stand behind Sharky's recommendation.. good dude.. will do you right on this type of work..
Old 27 January 2014, 11:59
hippies beware

Sharky and mdwest,

Roger, much appreciated. If he is indeed interested, please ask him to signify himself as being referred by one or both of you in his email. If you can PM me his name, I'll keep an eye out for him. Both of you have earned my greatest respect and your vetting goes a long way.

OOC, out

--Mark Twain

--Marcus Aurelius

--Jimbo

Old 31 January 2014, 20:57

Inboxed you.
Old 9 February 2014, 16:47
Authorized Personnel

OOC, are you still taking paper on this?

Thanks.
Old 9 February 2014, 19:49

Email Sent
Old 11 February 2014, 12:14

PM sent
Old 11 February 2014, 13:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
You ain't kidding, CSM.

Over 200 reply's...which is why it may take a while for people to get a response.

It also indicates how very competitive the market is, which means these reply's need to be locked on. Unlike times and companies past, my OPS staff is not a room full of big-tittied, hotties looking for buzz words...they are former NCO's and even an O that have been outside the wire and shit sand turds.

OOC, out
LOL. I keep seeing that on resumes too. I actually had one guy write that he was an "Skilled and experienced Operator" in the opening paragraph, and then a few lines down on his work experience it indicates he was a SWC boat driver. That was so win.
Old 11 February 2014, 20:10
Been There Done That

Thread drift..

BLUF: I'm requesting assistance from people working in HR.

I completed my ACAP workshop (Army retirement) last week and one of my requirements was a draft resume. I have 18 years experience as an SF NCO with 2 years in CA and 4 in "other". I don't claim to be an "operator" but the HR professional inserted the word "Operator" in to my draft resume, I left it in but I understand the stigma. The challenge is de-milling titles and duty descriptions. I'm asking what the community considers civilian vernacular to decrease military jargon and present an accurate but conventional term.

Examples I've come up with are:
Special Operations "technician"
special Operations "professional"
Special Operations "expert"
Special Operations "Operator" (including for comparison)
Special Operations "Manager" (changes context)
Special Operations "Consultant"
Special Operations "Non-Commissioned Officer" (mil jargon)

I'm working my resume and right now I feel most comfortable with "Professional" but I believe it's ambiguous and doesn't provide a conventional management or technical image.

In my career I've mentored junior guys to close their eyes and see the bullets that describe the actions in their evaluations. I'm trying to take my own advice with my resume.

Ok- I'm ready for the volley of heat rounds.. (Post number 2)

Ron
Old 12 February 2014, 10:58
hippies beware

No heat rounds coming from me, Ron.

I just had this very conversation with one of my new clients. We were putting our guys through the client safety indoc, and the VP of EHS (under which falls security for this organization) went around the table and asked each of my guys individually, "What did the military teach you to be good at?" Without skipping a beat, one of my newest employees, who is freshly out of the Marine Corps' Wounded Warrior Battalion at Ft. Sam replied, "The military taught me how to be adaptable. We wear so many different hats that we have to be able to transition from one skill to another, quickly. I am an Infantry Sergeant of Marines, but in my last assignment, I was entrusted to ensure my Marines were receiving the care they needed, from making their physical therapy appointments, to being a shoulder to cry on and addressing their psychological and emotional well being. In one sentence, I just told you that I am a skilled leader, instructor, fighter, admin support, and counselor. There is nothing you can throw at me to which I WON'T be excellent." And he said it completely stone faced.

I about wanted to cry, I was so proud. The client was dumbfounded.

To bring it back full circle to you..."Professional" as ambiguous as it may sound, does open the door for whoever reads your resume to ask more questions as to what that means. YOu may tray "Special Operations Team Leader" as an option, as well.

Also, it is not uncommon (and even encouraged) to tailor multiple resumes toward a particular skill set, such as a "Leadership Resume", or "Instructor Resume", etc. depending on the position you are pursuing. As further examples, if you are a Delta- focusing on your medical skills, Commo hardware, signals, and techie skills if you're an Echo, etc.

Hope that helps!

Best of luck.

OOC, out

--Mark Twain

--Marcus Aurelius

--Jimbo

Last edited by Outofcontrol; 12 February 2014 at 11:13.
Old 12 February 2014, 11:09
On the Extract Bird

Thanks for passing on that story OOC. Outstanding!
Old 12 February 2014, 11:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALO364 View Post
Thread drift..

BLUF: I'm requesting assistance from people working in HR.

I completed my ACAP workshop (Army retirement) last week and one of my requirements was a draft resume. I have 18 years experience as an SF NCO with 2 years in CA and 4 in "other". I don't claim to be an "operator" but the HR professional inserted the word "Operator" in to my draft resume, I left it in but I understand the stigma. The challenge is de-milling titles and duty descriptions. I'm asking what the community considers civilian vernacular to decrease military jargon and present an accurate but conventional term.

Examples I've come up with are:
Special Operations "technician"
special Operations "professional"
Special Operations "expert"
Special Operations "Operator" (including for comparison)
Special Operations "Manager" (changes context)
Special Operations "Consultant"
Special Operations "Non-Commissioned Officer" (mil jargon)

I'm working my resume and right now I feel most comfortable with "Professional" but I believe it's ambiguous and doesn't provide a conventional management or technical image.

In my career I've mentored junior guys to close their eyes and see the bullets that describe the actions in their evaluations. I'm trying to take my own advice with my resume.

Ok- I'm ready for the volley of heat rounds.. (Post number 2)

Ron
'Subject Matter Expert' is a good description- a Special Operations NCO is a Subject Matter Expert in his field and extremely competent in at one or two other subjects; as a Team Sergeant you have to be competent is every skillset on the team. You can rapidly transition from 'advising and training' to 'commanding and directing'; decisive and able to make sound, logical decisions in chaotic, stressful situations

Does that help?
Old 12 February 2014, 14:50
Been There Done That

Gentlemen-

Thanks for the help and great story! I received a couple private messages with good words and an offer to review my resume. I appreciate how the community leans towards insulating and not isolating when guys are starting their next life. I hope once I'm on the other side I can do the same for the guys behind me.
Old 12 February 2014, 15:54

Email Sent (DH)

Our new posting rules