SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 12 February 2014, 23:36
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALO364 View Post
Thread drift..

BLUF: I'm requesting assistance from people working in HR.

I completed my ACAP workshop (Army retirement) last week and one of my requirements was a draft resume. I have 18 years experience as an SF NCO with 2 years in CA and 4 in "other". I don't claim to be an "operator" but the HR professional inserted the word "Operator" in to my draft resume, I left it in but I understand the stigma. The challenge is de-milling titles and duty descriptions. I'm asking what the community considers civilian vernacular to decrease military jargon and present an accurate but conventional term.

Examples I've come up with are:
Special Operations "technician"
special Operations "professional"
Special Operations "expert"
Special Operations "Operator" (including for comparison)
Special Operations "Manager" (changes context)
Special Operations "Consultant"
Special Operations "Non-Commissioned Officer" (mil jargon)

I'm working my resume and right now I feel most comfortable with "Professional" but I believe it's ambiguous and doesn't provide a conventional management or technical image.

In my career I've mentored junior guys to close their eyes and see the bullets that describe the actions in their evaluations. I'm trying to take my own advice with my resume.

Ok- I'm ready for the volley of heat rounds.. (Post number 2)

Ron
Mine says "Special Operations Professional". I've also had "Intelligence Professional with a Special Operations background" depending on what I want to emphasize. I've gotten hired plenty with it.

I think the term "Operator" is purely semantics at this point. Like how "gay" used to mean "happy", then it meant "homosexual", and now it means "retarded" in many contexts. Its the Noam Chomsky school of Linguistics, basically- language as an evolving entity. All I can say is that if an 18 year old kid who enlists in the Navy and makes it through BUDS is an "Operator", then I guess I am too.

But I still wouldn't put it on a resume.
Old 13 February 2014, 09:23
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Mine says "Special Professional Asshole, Agitator, Dickhead".

Fixed it for accuracy.
Old 13 February 2014, 10:22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALO364 View Post
Thread drift..

BLUF: I'm requesting assistance from people working in HR.

I completed my ACAP workshop (Army retirement) last week and one of my requirements was a draft resume. I have 18 years experience as an SF NCO with 2 years in CA and 4 in "other". I don't claim to be an "operator" but the HR professional inserted the word "Operator" in to my draft resume, I left it in but I understand the stigma. The challenge is de-milling titles and duty descriptions. I'm asking what the community considers civilian vernacular to decrease military jargon and present an accurate but conventional term.

Examples I've come up with are:
Special Operations "technician"
special Operations "professional"
Special Operations "expert"
Special Operations "Operator" (including for comparison)
Special Operations "Manager" (changes context)
Special Operations "Consultant"
Special Operations "Non-Commissioned Officer" (mil jargon)

I'm working my resume and right now I feel most comfortable with "Professional" but I believe it's ambiguous and doesn't provide a conventional management or technical image.

In my career I've mentored junior guys to close their eyes and see the bullets that describe the actions in their evaluations. I'm trying to take my own advice with my resume.

Ok- I'm ready for the volley of heat rounds.. (Post number 2)

Ron
I don't want to take this thread off tangent, however be careful de miling titles etc... I'm not an advocate of the extreme resume "coaches" have taken that.

The key is to match your acheivments to what business people understand, not watering down your titles, assignements, etc...

Titles and civilian duty positions are watered down and there is no need to mimic that when transitioning to the civy world. Show your span of control, notable acheivments and you should be generally GTG.
Old 16 February 2014, 21:03

Email Sent. FYI, I've been working in Guatemala for the last 15 months partially for the USEMB as well as a private securty contractor for a large mineral mine here. My spanish and understanding of the region is pretty good. I would like to get back to the USA sooner rather than later. Hope I make it to your desk.
If you'd like more info I can send a PM. Sorry for the late response.
Old 20 February 2014, 20:33

Email sent--
Old 20 February 2014, 23:29
On the Extract Bird

Email Sent.
Old 3 March 2014, 11:21
On the Extract Bird

Email sent
Old 5 March 2014, 12:26

PM sent.
Old 6 March 2014, 02:38
hippies beware

**UPDATE**

ALCON,

I wanted to drop a note to inform everyone that we are freezing resumes...for now. Our partner just returned from Brazil a couple of weeks ago, and apparently there is a lot of info to pass. They are developing the info into a brief that we are expecting at any time now.

Those that have submitted resumes, THANK YOU. I apologize for the delay, but I don't want to be the type of company that keeps putting "bait" emails out there. I would rather contact you when I have something definitive to pass. Business runs at its own pace, and I am professional enough to understand if/when someone has to take something else when the waiting game takes longer than they have to give. Rule number one in this industry is "never give up something solid for something expected." We have put nobody on retainer yet, so if you have to take something else...do it.

We want to get a solid picture of expectations and logistical requirements before we put out the WARNO.

Until then, we will consider those in the current response pool. If additional resources are needed, we will open the positions back up.

Thanks again, SOCNET!

OOC, out

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain

"All that we see is perspective, not fact...All that we hear is opinion, not truth."
--Marcus Aurelius

"The time you spent typing and formatting this post would have been better spent hitting yourself in the face with a hammer."
--Jimbo

Wise old man--"That woman was SEXY!"
Young lad--"She's out of my league."
Wise old man--"Look...let women figure out why they wont sleep with you...dont do it for them."
Old 8 March 2014, 21:02

Thanks for the update
Old 12 March 2014, 01:31

Thanks for the update!
Old 13 March 2014, 17:09
Confirmed User

Very Professional... Wouldn't expect anything less.
Old 14 March 2014, 17:33

Sorry I'm a bit new here but to me this seem like some king of resume blasting scam to collect information. Has "anyone" got a job yet?
Old 14 March 2014, 19:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat68 View Post
Sorry I'm a bit new here but to me this seem like some king of resume blasting scam to collect information. Has "anyone" got a job yet?

The "OS approved" on top of the first post means that this thread was pre approved by the site mods. This is required by the board to keep "resume blasting scam" from happening here.

Outofcontroal followed the procedure and his posting here was allowed.
He is also a known contributor to this site.
Old 19 March 2014, 22:49
hippies beware

Thank you, usacivpol.

kat68--

I, like you, am a guest in this house. Otherwise, this response would be a hell of a lot shorter, and significantly more vulgar. In life outside the interwebs, questioning one's integrity in this industry would land you in the short line for an ass-beating.

I don't remember asking if I needed to give you a warm, fuzzy feeling about my thread or opportunity, nor do I believe anyone asked what you thought. I'm not exactly a fucking robot, and this ain't exactly Monster . com. Did you not think that I would be reviewing the thread that I started on a semi-frequent basis? Especially as the hiring authority?

Great situational awareness. Keep it up.

Mods/Admins: As a guest in your house, if I crossed a line; I'll take my licks like a man, but being called out as a fraud by a single-digit-post-count little troll doesn't sit well with me.

OOC, out

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain

"All that we see is perspective, not fact...All that we hear is opinion, not truth."
--Marcus Aurelius

"The time you spent typing and formatting this post would have been better spent hitting yourself in the face with a hammer."
--Jimbo

Wise old man--"That woman was SEXY!"
Young lad--"She's out of my league."
Wise old man--"Look...let women figure out why they wont sleep with you...dont do it for them."
Old 19 March 2014, 23:39
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofcontrol View Post
Thank you, usacivpol.

kat68--

I, like you, am a guest in this house. Otherwise, this response would be a hell of a lot shorter, and significantly more vulgar. In life outside the interwebs, questioning one's integrity in this industry would land you in the short line for an ass-beating.

I don't remember asking if I needed to give you a warm, fuzzy feeling about my thread or opportunity, nor do I believe anyone asked what you thought. I'm not exactly a fucking robot, and this ain't exactly Monster . com. Did you not think that I would be reviewing the thread that I started on a semi-frequent basis? Especially as the hiring authority?

Great situational awareness. Keep it up.

Mods/Admins: As a guest in your house, if I crossed a line; I'll take my licks like a man, but being called out as a fraud by a single-digit-post-count little troll doesn't sit well with me.

OOC, out
I think your avatar, with minor adjustment to the quote, would have made a succinct reply.
Old 20 March 2014, 00:00
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat68 View Post
Sorry I'm a bit new here
This is the most cogent portion of your post. Read more and post less, otherwise you may hear a slightly muffled whirring sound in the background and green smoke to your front.

Welcome to SOCNET.
Old 20 March 2014, 04:13
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
This is the most cogent portion of your post. Read more and post less, otherwise you may hear a slightly muffled whirring sound in the background and green smoke to your front.

Welcome to SOCNET.
For the new here, TFG is talking about the Black Chinook, AKA, the extract bird. You do not want to see it in real life or in cyberspace.
Old 20 March 2014, 17:14

I for one appreciate the job forums on SOCNET, just wish they didn't jump off topic as frequently as they do. So much drama would be saved in these forums (Domestic and International Jobs) if people could refrain from the back and forth (i.e. cheap shots and chest thumping). People look at a the aforementioned forums to research opportunities, not sift through a soap opera to gain one or two valuable posts actually pertaining to the job. The number of a person's post is a relevant to his ability to question someone? Seriously? That is a criteria? It seems to me that the people with a significant amount of posts go out of their way to embarrass someone who asks pretty simple questions (I know. I know. Search function. Search function) People never seem to grow weary of telling someone how stupid they are for not using the search function over and over and over again. I wonder why they don't have the same energy when it comes to answering a question over and over...not as "entertaining" of a read for other people to jump on I guess.
Old 20 March 2014, 20:06
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
The number of a person's post is a relevant to his ability to question someone? Seriously?
There is a process that must be followed before you can post a job opening to vet the posting. When a dude pops up with his second post questioning a vetted member of the site it is not looked upon kindly.

Our new posting rules