SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 11 August 2014, 18:36
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Not much of a teaser.

I guess they're trying to keep expectations high, not give anything away. Although Odenkirk did mention that Saul's backstory has him coming from Chicago originally, and that when he first moved to NM he went by his given name, Jimmy McGill.
Old 13 August 2014, 11:51
Been There Done That

I skipped to the end of this thread because I'm just wrapping up season 2 of BB on Netflix and don't want to stumble across any spoilers. That said, Saul is one of the more interesting TV characters to come along in years. I have no idea how I missed Breaking Bad when it was on--kinda like Sopranos, I guess. (Which so far, ranks slightly higher than BB in my book. We shall see.)
Old 13 August 2014, 12:51

I'm rewatching the last season of The Sopranos, it still holds up.

I think that Breaking Bad will have that kind of staying power too, as well as The Wire.
Old 20 August 2014, 00:44
Been There Done That

Sopranos is timeless--it's prime-time literature. It will never get old. I'm now one third of the way of the final season of BB and get the whole thing, now. I still don't think it's 'quite' on the level of Sopranos, but it's very close--the continuity from season-to-season is very good. I think Tony's family thang is more believable/stronger than Walt's.
Old 20 August 2014, 18:39
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I'm rewatching the last season of The Sopranos, it still holds up.

I think that Breaking Bad will have that kind of staying power too, as well as The Wire.
The Wire was the best police series ever IMO....
Old 20 August 2014, 18:42
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeArmyNCO View Post

+1.

It's light-years ahead of whatever might be in second-place...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 20 August 2014, 21:43

Two guys I hope will have recurring roles are the actors who played the detectives interrogating Jesse after Brock was poisoned.

They were great, a nice portrayal of a couple of guys who've worked together for awhile and know each others routine. They had a real Mutt and Jeff quality to them.
Old 20 August 2014, 21:44
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Two guys I hope will have recurring roles are the actors who played the detectives interrogating Jesse after Brock was poisoned.

They were great, a nice portrayal of a couple of guys who've worked together for awhile and know each others routine. The had a real Mutt and Jeff quality to them.
Or in this case, "tall and taller." Too bad Rocky is tied up under the dome.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 20 August 2014, 21:45
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeArmyNCO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
+1.

It's light-years ahead of whatever might be in second-place...
Yeah, right, whatever.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 20 August 2014, 21:52

Badger and Skinny Pete better be coming back too, even though when Badger was represented by Saul in BB it was evident that they'd never met before.
Old 20 August 2014, 22:00
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Badger and Skinny Pete better be coming back too, even though when Badger was represented by Saul in BB it was evident that they'd never met before.
The scenario for Skinny Pete and Badger coming back is Skinny's relationship with that psycho Tuco. Remember they knew each other in prison.

And if you bring back the Rosenkrantz and Gildenstern of BB how much of a stretch is it to bring back Jessie?

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 8 October 2014, 11:40
Drawing my cutlass

Fuck, yes, Better Call Saul, The Song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGsC_LO3oFY

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 8 October 2014, 22:41

From what I'm hearing, the show will be an hour long, not 30 minutes as originally envisioned.

All the better.
Old 23 November 2014, 03:50
Drawing my cutlass

Here's a teaser called Tingle Fingers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO6TeCBTwBI

Can everyone else hear the BrBa theme in their minds?

February can't come fast enough.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 23 November 2014, 14:19

Two more characters from the BB universe that need to make some appearances are Huell and Kuby, Saul's "henchmen".

Those two always added some comic relief.
Old 23 November 2014, 16:53
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Two more characters from the BB universe that need to make some appearances are Huell and Kuby, Saul's "henchmen".

Those two always added some comic relief.
I hope the writers are making room for the re- pre-, fuck, whatever, appearance of Gustavo Fring. Hopefully, that'll track to his background and what Don Eladio knew.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 2 December 2014, 01:03
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Well, there was Mike in the sneak peak. Looked like it was the first time they met.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 2 December 2014, 03:16
Drawing my cutlass

That's our Mike, awesome as usual. How he let Walter get the best of him is beyond me.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 4 February 2015, 16:18
Drawing my cutlass

Five days to go and I have never looked forward to watching a television series begin. Rotten Tomatoes' Tomatometer currently stands at 100% and if it's any indication this review below portends a worthy successor to Breaking Bad. These are the final two paragraphs. The rest is here.

Quote:
Luckily for us, itís a reality in which Gilligan feels right at home. Remember the place where Goodfellas ended? Thatís precisely where Gilliganís art begins. He is the poet laureate of Schnookville. His sonnets ring with stinging banality: the drop ceilings of a municipal courtroom, the buzzy fluorescent lights of a strip mall, the click of a flip phone before the antenna is extended. Jimmy, like Walter White before him, yearns to shake off this emasculating tedium but hasnít yet found the necessary slipperiness or resolve. To illustrate that journey, just as he did in Breaking Bad,4 Gilligan hones his kitsch until itís as sharp as a steak knife. By the time Saulís second episode rolls around, with the brilliant Michelle MacLaren, a.k.a. the Canadian Kali, destroyer of worlds, behind the camera, a recognizable tension fills the screen and the air. Once again there are handcuffed rides out into the desert, once again household tools become objects of uncomfortable violence. The precision of Gilligan and Gouldís storytelling makes the clicking of narrative puzzle pieces indistinguishable from the sound of bullets being loaded into a gun.

But letís be clear: The reason Better Call Saul works is because, similarities aside, it is decidedly not Breaking Bad. Thereís more humor here and, so far anyway, a lot less breakfast. While Breaking Bad tracked a geniusís descent, Better Call Saul is primarily concerned with a striverís climb. Thereís a sense of playfulness and fun that isnít just a welcome break from the meth business; it feels like the blessed antidote to untold hours of grim cable dramatics. I truly appreciate and admire flinty shows like Pivotís arctic murder mystery Fortitude. But I canít say I always enjoy watching them. This matters. As viewing options pile up higher than the stack of bills in Walterís storage space, itís a relief knowing thereís a series out there like Saul, one expertly designed to provide thrills and good cheer. Itís not rocket science. Itís not even chemistry. But itís something. Like a good lawyer, Saul is on your side.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 4 February 2015, 16:57
What could possibly go wrong?

Can't wait to see it

Our new posting rules