SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Company Vetting and RFI

Old 20 August 2018, 12:34

RFI:active shooter defense school

Was invited to take a rifle class with a friend at:
Asdschool.com

Was burned in the past taking a non-accredited medical course, so want to make sure the school and the instructors are good to go. The owner trained with/deployed with SEALs as a Seabee.

Bios here:
Asdschool.com/asds-instructors/

Thanks all. To be clear I have no reason to doubt anything, just making sure my money goes to good instruction this time.

Please advise if anyone can recommend this school.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 20 August 2018 at 14:11. Reason: OP request
Old 20 August 2018, 12:37
Anesthetized User

What medical course did you take that lacked accreditation? Title, company, instructor info. etc.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 20 August 2018, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
What medical course did you take that lacked accreditation? Title, company, instructor info. etc.
I will try to find paperwork. It was a while ago (2ish years ago) in Virginia. It was supposed to be TC3, turned out to be nada. It was claimed after the course we would get cpr/aed/basic first air thru American Red Cross; but that physical document never materialized either.
Old 20 August 2018, 13:02

Can’t edit, but “just” burned was the wrong way to word it. My bad.
Old 20 August 2018, 13:23
Been There Done That

What you get out of it depends on what you intend to learn. If you’re new and looking to lean proper fundamentals and manipulations then they should have the experience to teach those skills. If you’re a bit more seasoned and looking to work on a specific skill, they may be lacking (depending on the skill desired). Try calling them and discussing your training goals with them.
Old 20 August 2018, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
I am a new to firearms. Anything helps. WILCO wrt calling them. Thanks-
Old 20 August 2018, 15:16
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_ View Post
I am a new to firearms. Anything helps. WILCO wrt calling them. Thanks-
Are you stating you want BASIC instruction WRT firearms? The more specific you can be the more people here can help.

"And all that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters."--Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 20 August 2018, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Are you stating you want BASIC instruction WRT firearms? The more specific you can be the more people here can help.
Appreciate the guidance. Apologies for mucking up the thread with non-questions.

Looking for entry level gun handling. I am just beyond “put bullets in forwards” skill level. Goals: safe firearm handling, home defense, learn drills to practice on the range. Based on my skill level and the comments here, sounds like I am asking for info above my skill level.
Old 20 August 2018, 15:58
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Appreciate the guidance. Apologies for mucking up the thread with non-questions.

Looking for entry level gun handling. I am just beyond “put bullets in forwards” skill level. Goals: safe firearm handling, home defense, learn drills to practice on the range. Based on my skill level and the comments here, sounds like I am asking for info above my skill level.
Have you searched SOCNET? This stuff is talked about all of the time on this site.

See what a search turns up for you.

Old 20 August 2018, 16:19

Thanks Expatmedic. Looking through to find rudimentary training, questions to ask, what to learn as a beginner, etc. Requesting this thread be deleted at your convenience as it adds no value and my ignorance stings.
Old 20 August 2018, 16:31
Anesthetized User

We were all novices in our chosen professions at one point. Read a bunch, then ask questions in the appropriate forum.

I have no control over threads and I am not sure about the future of this one.

I hope you find what you need.

Old 21 August 2018, 09:09
Fan ar an gcosán

Are you looking for a civilian course or course for first responders? Two very different trainings and focuses. Generally civilians should be good with the "Run, Hide, Fight" (or other flavors). That consists of watching a video and maybe drilling in your workplace. If first responder focused "active shooter defense school" I would hope the course focuses on LEO teams taking out the shooter, establishment of a casualty collection point, and Fire-EMS performing triage, treatment and tansport, unified command, etc.

For basic gun handling I would focus more on gun ranges in your area before trying to learn how to handle a gun while at the same time trying to engage bad guys. Godspeed.
Old 21 August 2018, 09:57

Thanks Doc P
Old 21 August 2018, 10:52
Hard to Kill

Quote:

A few of the guys from their website should have the ability to provide the training you seek. Which class from their website do you and your friend intend to take? What do they charge for the training?

There is some value in training with a friend like that, but its not the only consideration. Being a SWAT Guy or having SOF experience does not always make for a good instructor. Looking at their offerings on their website, its a bit confusing. They have pix from a class in 2016. The also state they have classes once a month. There is only one class scheduled this year, and it has come and gone. I also think the name of the company is a bit cheesy. Look for a company that has been in the training business for a while. You may have to travel to get exactly what you want. They do not appear to offer a class that addresses both pistol and carbine.

I would call and check on pricing and the class curriculum and report back here.
I am also curious why they focus on active shooter training when its so hard to get a permit in The People's Republic of California?
Old 21 August 2018, 12:06
Been There Done That

sounds like you want a Pistol 1/101 or long gun (carbine, shotgun, whatever) 1/101.

in my opinion, it's better/easier in the long run to learn techniques right the first time, than to correct bad technique later.

I want my money spent on the best quality instruction to be found, and that takes research.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 22 August 2018, 15:09

TFG: $189 for 8 hours of training. The description is a bit more dynamic than I need. Thanks for responding.

KW Driver, thanks for responding.

Good info from all-
I researched last night and landed here:
https://www.inlandarms.com/classes/basic-handgun

More my speed. Basic operation of pistols, entry level 101 type stuff.
Old 22 August 2018, 15:11

For some reason I still can't edit.
I was invited to take a rifle class but settled on a pistol class because that is what I am around more, and what I will get long before I get into rifles.
Old 22 August 2018, 17:59

Upon further research, I came across this article which showed me that the school has 3 Lake Arthur PD members as instructors.

https://www.krqe.com/news/investigat...me/1143209880#

I was keeping them in my back pocket for the future after I learned a little more. Steer clear of the school, or is it a case of good dudes caught up in a bad media circus?

Our new posting rules