SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 17 June 2019, 16:23
Overseas Gunplumber

If you have an existing .300, get a shorter barrel for it and then just an E-File Form 1 to convert it to an SBR.

It's cheaper and easier to do. The tax is a one time pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
I really did have an itch to find one that was well matched for a 16 inch barreled 300 Blackout but the entire process just pushes me towards disinterest. It isn't really the cost associated - its just the expenditure of effort dealing with an incompetent system.
I hate to say "the system is broke" because I believe the system works EXACTLY the way the bureaucrats designed it to work.

Is the stamp a one time pay and you're done, or does the government continue to fleece you every year for renewal money?

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 17 June 2019, 16:48
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
I really did have an itch to find one that was well matched for a 16 inch barreled 300 Blackout but the entire process just pushes me towards disinterest. It isn't really the cost associated - its just the expenditure of effort dealing with an incompetent system.
I hate to say "the system is broke" because I believe the system works EXACTLY the way the bureaucrats designed it to work.

Is the stamp a one time pay and you're done, or does the government continue to fleece you every year for renewal money?
As others have said, one time good deal. And, if you do the form 1 for the shortest barrel length available, you're then also good to go for any barrel length longer than that without having to reapply.

My form 1s have come back significantly quicker than my form 4s, and much much quicker than anything of Sharky's.
Old 17 June 2019, 19:38
0311/8651

Where do you all get your fingerprint cards rolled for ATF?
I roll the prints at the local sheriff office for about everything- ATF, CCW , adoptions, law school students, ETC
Old 17 June 2019, 21:50
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
Where do you all get your fingerprint cards rolled for ATF?
I roll the prints at the local sheriff office for about everything- ATF, CCW , adoptions, law school students, ETC
There's a place in town that does those and the photos for a pretty reasonable price. Between occupational licensing for a few different career fields, ATF, and passports they seem to do pretty good business.
Old 18 June 2019, 08:33
BTDT

Quote:
I really did have an itch to find one that was well matched for a 16 inch barreled 300 Blackout but the entire process just pushes me towards disinterest. It isn't really the cost associated - its just the expenditure of effort dealing with an incompetent system. I hate to say "the system is broke" because I believe the system works EXACTLY the way the bureaucrats designed it to work.

"Safest" way - given the whims of banning shit that has been deemed GTG - is to SBR something you have (Pistol Braces could become "Machine Guns" all of a sudden) - which is 1 Tax Stamp, and then to either build (Form 1) or buy (Form 4) a Suppressor for it = another Tax Stamp or $400 to exercise your 2A right.

Quickest is Form 1, and for an SBR is easy, but I have no idea how the best 'Home Built' Suppressor compares to a factory unit - or what's involved to build a good one.

The only way to get around a "2 Stamp Gun" - is to have an integrally suppressed weapon.

For Suppressors - going to a Silencer Shop Kiosk is literally a 20 minute process - Prints, Pics, and Form 4 are all done there. Then you get an emailed Doc and digitally "Sign" it = DONE (the wait begins).
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"

Last edited by Polypro; 18 June 2019 at 09:52.
Old 18 June 2019, 09:25
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Just do an AR Pistol. Get a SB Tactical PDW brace on completed lower from PSA, for example. Then put any upper you want on there. No stamp need and its virtually identical to a rifle..
That shows how broken the system really is.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446451.html
I just bought a POF Pistol that has a collapsible SBP stock, just like an M4. Why you would go through the SBR hassle when these are legal, is hard to imagine. It extends to the same length as a regular carbine. Just don't lose the strap.

It looks like this.
Old 18 June 2019, 09:49
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I just bought a POF Pistol that has a collapsible SBP stock, just like an M4. Why you would go through the SBR hassle when these are legal, is hard to imagine. It extends to the same length as a regular carbine. Just don't lose the strap.
For some, the worry is that Pistol Braces will become "Stocks" - bare tube only, or you're in violation. See: Bump Stock Ban. An actual SBR would be safer, as NFA '34 would need Congress to change it since it's an "Act", and not an EO. That's the word on the intarwebs anyway...
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

Old 18 June 2019, 10:45

I just bought one of those surefire FA556-212 that was on sale at ArmsUnlimited. Since I now have a TS/SCI, I’m hoping that I do not have the same experience as Sharky. All of my NICS checks come back clear within 5 minutes.

I plan to SBR a few things that can’t really be done as a pistol (XM177E2), but since the new SB tactical braces have come out, I don’t think I’ll worry about the SBR road from now on. And if the boogaloo goes down, I’ll be drilling that third hole anyway so I’m not really concerned about any lack of cowabunga ability that some people on the internet say happens with the braces.
Old 18 June 2019, 11:06
BTDT

So - I must be missing something - what does the Form-1 for an SBR have to do with putting a suppressor on an existing firearm?
Does an SBR stamp allow more leeway with a suppressor or is it just more-better-cooler to put a can on a shorter barrel?

On a related note - do those pistol braces extend or are they a fixed length?
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 18 June 2019, 11:25

The new ones attach to a standard buffer tube, not a typical smooth pistol tube. They are extendable.
Old 18 June 2019, 11:42
BTDT

Quote:
So - I must be missing something - 1. what does the Form-1 for an SBR have to do with putting a suppressor on an existing firearm?
Does an SBR stamp allow more leeway with a suppressor or is it just more-better-cooler to put a can on a shorter barrel?

2. On a related note - do those pistol braces extend or are they a fixed length?

1. Nothing, they are two separate processes. The only reason to SBR something in this era of AR Pistols w/Braces - is if you think one day, "Braces" will go away. It's valid, but I'm rolling the dice for now.

2. Some install on a standard Carbine Buffer Tube and can extend/collapse. Some install on perfectly round tubes and have set-screws or friction locks. There are so many these days, it's hard to keep up. Its hard to go wrong with an SB Tactical A3.

Old 18 June 2019, 11:54
Administrator

So if I buy one of the "Solvent traps" then all I need to do is the Form 1 and I can do that via the e-form?
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 18 June 2019, 12:09
Administrator

I have been wanting a .300 BO. This deal seems too good to be true.

Everything but the stripped lower for $330.00????

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...stol-kit1.html
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 18 June 2019, 15:43
exquisitus asinus

PSA runs some pretty good sales around fathers day every year...

this time last year I bought a complete upper in 5.56 to include the BCG for I think $219 from them.. (the same one you saw on my AR the last time we went hunting in TX)..
Old 19 June 2019, 09:49
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
The new ones attach to a standard buffer tube, not a typical smooth pistol tube. They are extendable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
1. Nothing, they are two separate processes. The only reason to SBR something in this era of AR Pistols w/Braces - is if you think one day, "Braces" will go away. It's valid, but I'm rolling the dice for now.

2. Some install on a standard Carbine Buffer Tube and can extend/collapse. Some install on perfectly round tubes and have set-screws or friction locks. There are so many these days, it's hard to keep up. Its hard to go wrong with an SB Tactical A3.
I have one on my POF AR Pistol in 5.56. It shoots, well, like a POF should. Its an attempt by Frank DeSoma to sell a sub $1k POF rifle. (The Constable). No ambi everything, no NP3'd BCG and a DI system. Its shoots great and has the extendable pistol brace. A copy of my zero confirmation yesterday evening at 50m with a Vortex sparc AR red dot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190618_174420.jpg (24.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 20190617_181940.jpg (26.1 KB, 104 views)
Old 19 June 2019, 16:46
Confirmed User

I currently have a PSA 300BLK SBR with 8.8 inch barrel 416R. Shoots great. Has a SSA trigger from Gessielle? sp, and my PWS 300BLK on a PSA lower with same trigger. They both run great, even suppresses with my SRD 762.
The pistol route is the way to go, and my third will be a pistol lower with Sig 516 14.5 inch upper. It was on sale, had to do it...
Each family member has a AR, thats why I have 4 total once Sig is done with pistol lower
If some EO tries to outlaw the braces, good luck. I guarantee there are more than the bumpstocks out there.
Old 19 June 2019, 23:26
A lost ball in high weeds

It took me 11 months to get a stamp for .22 suppressor. Did it in a trust with no finger prints needed. However, I think they may have changed the rules on trusts since the time I did it.
Old 19 June 2019, 23:31
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I have one on my POF AR Pistol in 5.56. It shoots, well, like a POF should. Its an attempt by Frank DeSoma to sell a sub $1k POF rifle. (The Constable). No ambi everything, no NP3'd BCG and a DI system. Its shoots great and has the extendable pistol brace. A copy of my zero confirmation yesterday evening at 50m with a Vortex sparc AR red dot.
nice group. you forgot to put tape over that one at 11.
Old 20 June 2019, 07:19
Confirmed User

I am still waiting since December. The ATF cashed the check 12/20/18

Our new posting rules