SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 22 June 2008, 12:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARED HOT View Post
Heed these words.
x2. I am. With all the experience floating around on this board one has to be a complete tool to not heed the advice from guys who did things the hard way. Hence I am working on the degree right now. Two years and a wake up...

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 22 June 2008, 15:18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad275 View Post
x2. I am. With all the experience floating around on this board one has to be a complete tool to not heed the advice from guys who did things the hard way. Hence I am working on the degree right now. Two years and a wake up...

Good work brother. It sucks, but you will never be sorry you knocked it out now.You will definitely have a lot more options available to you after it's done.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 22 June 2008, 18:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
... My advice to you would be to get your 4 year degree if you don't already have one.
I wish someone had given me this advice 20 years ago. It would've been a lot easier to do as a young single guy.
Old 22 June 2008, 18:27
Confirmed User

doc22584

Make sure you put in for a busy station, Tucson sector stations are real busy right now. My station has a lot of detailers from Texas stations and they can't believe the differences in the work. They call it the wild west out here. I know they are sending new guys up to the Northern Border right now but I would advise against it. First off they do not have the amount of work we have and secondly the senior guys at those stations have done there time on the Southern Border and I suspect there will be a lot of resentment. Give it a shot, I love my job, when I go to work to find my assignment it is like getting a present. Check out the honorfirst website for some really good info.
Old 22 June 2008, 18:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
USBP can be a great job if you get in the right station. If not, it will kill your soul.

Truer words have never been spoken, that and the BP has the most fucked up management that I have ever seen.

To Doc22584 you need to go to a site called honor first. There is a hiring board forum on deplhi that is linked from there. One of the guys did a break down of military duties and how you can write it up on your résumé and get your GS 7 or maybe a GS 9.

If folks have questions they can PM me or ask them here.
Old 22 June 2008, 18:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutsout2001 View Post
Flying Pig,

I wanted to fly for them but after looking into it, you have to be a leg before you can get up into the air and even still, there is a waiting list...and even if you are a pilot, they will follow the list even if there are people that have never flown before on it...

You have to have some flying experience to qualify for the pilots training but yes you do have to work on the ground first. There are a lot of guys that invest their own time and money to get their flying time in hopes of being a pilot for the BP, so yes that and their seniority in the BP should count for something.
Old 24 June 2008, 00:50
Confirmed User

If it helps at all...

I have a BA with 5 courses toward a Master's (totally unrelated field-- English), 6 years + a few months on a small municipal PD, total of roughly 9 years Army Guard.

Zero Federal employment in the past.

I entered into the hiring process for my agency knowing that most people come on as 9s. I went in as a 12. The personnel people told me that it was due to experience and that I answered some questions "the right way" during interviews. I strongly suspect it had something to do with how I have a strong background in interrogation. And probably also my many hours of frustration using an NCIC terminal and playing the name game with suspects before we had AFIS!!!

EDIT:

The lesson I learned isn't just that qualifications can help, but tell them about everything you can possibly bring to the table. Don't wait until your BI starts to mention your qualifications; you may never make it that far if the person before you has more than you do! Every little certificate for every class you took, no matter how silly it may have seen at the time (I have a few terrible memories of Saturdays spent at the academy when I could have been doing more interesting things...as I am sure we all do), may have some effect on your likelihood to be picked. Even the simple FEMA ICS courses we had to take a couple years ago, for which we got these computer-generated little certificates in the mail, may put you a notch above the next candidate. Did you receive a citation from the Rotary Club or a civic group for helping them out? Let the Feds know! Any kind of recognition of merit, make sure to mention it! You will need all the ammo you can get in your favor in order to remain at the top of the heap.

Last edited by phoenixtriad; 24 June 2008 at 00:57.
Old 24 June 2008, 00:57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixtriad View Post
If it helps at all...

I have a BA with 5 courses toward a Master's (totally unrelated field-- English), 6 years + a few months on a small municipal PD, total of roughly 9 years Army Guard.

Zero Federal employment in the past.

I entered into the hiring process for my agency knowing that most people come on as 9s. I went in as a 12. The personnel people told me that it was due to experience and that I answered some questions "the right way" during interviews. I strongly suspect it had something to do with how I have a strong background in interrogation. And probably also my many hours of frustration using an NCIC terminal and playing the name game with suspects before we had AFIS!!!
Going into Fed LE cold as a GS-12 is most definitely the exception to the rule. I've seen it done in the Intel Community, but not in the Fed LE world.

-ZZ Top
Old 24 June 2008, 01:02
Confirmed User

Yes, only myself and another gentleman in my class went in as 12s. His background was 10x better than mine in many areas, however, and I felt fortunate to have him by my side teaching me things that he had learned through the years.

Only other person I ran into who came on as a 12 was from another class and was ex-LAPD. Speaks for itself!
Old 24 June 2008, 17:27

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Im working on my degree right now. I have about 2 semesters left.
Old 29 June 2008, 11:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc22584 View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the info. Im working on my degree right now. I have about 2 semesters left.
Bad-ass, congrats brother. 2 semesters will pass-by in NO time.
Old 29 June 2008, 19:58
NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT

I don't regret my time in the Patrol, but I'm glad it's over!
"Duty is ours, consequences are God's." -Gen."Stonewall" Jackson
Old 5 July 2008, 11:29

be sure you know what ya want

I went through the hiring process with DHS Border patrol. It took a long time, so dont quit your day job. They eventually had made an offer but I had taken another locol position, then they made an offer for the canadian border. I started in 2006 with the test and first real job offer was not until jan 2007. Not sure why as i had just went through the OCS program and had a complete federal security clearence and put them in contact with the guy who did it.
B Doe
Old 1 August 2008, 18:15

I think you mean that you went through the process for the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer position. The Border Patrol, which falls under CBP, but is different then the CBP Office of Field Operations CBPO position does not direct hire for the northern border. You are heading to CA, AZ, NM, or TX. No way around it.
Old 1 August 2008, 19:18
JDAM
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1E0D8ET View Post
The Border Patrol, which falls under CBP, but is different then the CBP Office of Field Operations CBPO position does not direct hire for the northern border. You are heading to CA, AZ, NM, or TX. No way around it.
Which is retarded if you ask me. We need a lot more guys up in Montana, Washington, Idaho, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc...keeping an eye on things. Hell, even Maine and Vermont should be considered vulnerabilities.

Those areas are our weakest link and should be addressed with WAY more focus and scrutiny than they are now. Think about how many illegals, drugs, weapons, etc...come through the Northern border every year undetected. It's probably ridiculous.
Old 1 August 2008, 19:36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDAM View Post
Which is retarded if you ask me. We need a lot more guys up in Montana, Washington, Idaho, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc...keeping an eye on things. Hell, even Maine and Vermont should be considered vulnerabilities.

Those areas are our weakest link and should be addressed with WAY more focus and scrutiny than they are now. Think about how many illegals, drugs, weapons, etc...come through the Northern border every year undetected. It's probably ridiculous.

The problem is that about 80% of the current CBP population would love to be stationed on the Northern border. Most of the ones content on the Southern border are the guys who happen to be stationed near where they are from or are trying to get closer to a hometown on the Southern border. Competition to get an interior station is fierce and political. If they started putting new agents on the northern border who haven't "paid their dues" on the Southern border there would be a mutiny within CBP. Then the Union would get involved with all that entails.

-ZZ Top
Old 1 August 2008, 20:25
JDAM
Visitor

Quote:
The problem is that about 80% of the current CBP population would love to be stationed on the Northern border. Most of the ones content on the Southern border are the guys who happen to be stationed near where they are from or are trying to get closer to a hometown on the Southern border. Competition to get an interior station is fierce and political. If they started putting new agents on the northern border who haven't "paid their dues" on the Southern border there would be a mutiny within CBP. Then the Union would get involved with all that entails.
That is understandable. Paying your dues is a fact of life in any professional career, especially the military/federal/LE sectors.

Whether or not someone gets a particular duty station, however, should not be based on dream-sheets and personal preferences...rather necessity. Personally, I think the need is much greater up North...but we don't really have either side under full control...
Old 2 August 2008, 05:18
Confirmed User

Trainees will be going to the Northern Border after the Academy and Field Training on the Southern Border. I am not sure which class that is starting with.
Old 2 August 2008, 19:16
Walk the plank

DEA is hiring, so is TIGTA, ICE and a few other agencies. DSS will prob pop out another announcement in a few months. Out of 3 friends who went to the Patrol, one is left and thats just because he hasnt lined up the next move. 2 are at FLETC for DSS.
Old 2 August 2008, 19:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDAM View Post
Whether or not someone gets a particular duty station, however, should not be based on dream-sheets and personal preferences...rather necessity.

Ya that song wears thin after you have been stuck in the same place for 10 years. Not even the military does that.

Our new posting rules