SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 6 March 2009, 19:27
Confirmed User

Update- I just got my Phase II package a few minutes ago and they have informed me that all of the hiring wickets are scheduled to be complete by the end of April with the exception of the BI (BIs are averaging about 2 weeks I think). The FBI is moving candidates through really fast right now.
Old 6 March 2009, 20:09
Authorized Personnel

They have some cool helicopters - throw in and try out for the pilot stuff, brother!!
Old 6 March 2009, 21:09
Confirmed User

Has anyone ever heard of them making exceptions for the degree requirement?
Old 6 March 2009, 21:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpoint View Post
They have some cool helicopters - throw in and try out for the pilot stuff, brother!!
Oh....its always about the helicopters with you isnt it!?
Old 6 March 2009, 21:23
exorcist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Arm View Post
Has anyone ever heard of them making exceptions for the degree requirement?
Never, but USMS does.

The only thing worse then losing a child in the service of our country is to lose that child to an ungrateful nation.

Still missing you...SGT Brandon J. Thomas 19thSFG(A)...you are always in my heart, buddy.
Old 6 March 2009, 21:23
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

The only drawback to this agency is you don't know where you will be posted until halfway through the academy. Unless things have changed.

There is also a job announcement for HRT on usajobs.
Old 6 March 2009, 22:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIERRA_339 View Post
The only drawback to this agency is you don't know where you will be posted until halfway through the academy. Unless things have changed.

There is also a job announcement for HRT on usajobs.
That's true but they are also one of the only ones who will pay for your first move, which to me is huge. Moves are expensive. And you start out as a GS-10 vice a 5 or 7 with many other agencies.

As far as the degree requirement, they have not ever and will not budge. ATF will but you have to have several years of experience as a criminal investigator (i.e. detective, not a patrolman).
Old 6 March 2009, 22:14
Blue and Gold

Hmm, I wonder what the best avenue to go to the FBI Counter-terrorism Task Force would be... Really cant find any postings really that close to working for that division.
"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate." - Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche

O Israel
The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”
Old 15 March 2009, 05:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptodan View Post
Hmm, I wonder what the best avenue to go to the FBI Counter-terrorism Task Force would be... Really cant find any postings really that close to working for that division.

Call Jack Bauer and see what he can do for ya!

"OK, so we can agree you've been drinking. Now I know you've had at least 2, the first one and the last one, but now we need to figure out how many there were in between."-Me, I-35
Old 15 March 2009, 14:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
Oh....its always about the helicopters with you isnt it!?
Pot, pot, this is Kettle, over.
Old 15 March 2009, 16:11
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
If Im not mistaken, they are NOT hiring for HRT. They are hiring for Special Agents, and using HRT as a possible future assignment.

Its like my Department recruiting poster showing the helicopter pilot standing next to the bird with the caption "Fresno County Sheriff Air Support" "Now Hiring. Call XXXXXXX" A little deceiving.....but oh well.
As I recall, the Army uses the same recruiting tactic.

The FBI has definitely opened up to other skill sets over the last few decades. When one of my cousins joined in the early 70s, having either a law degree or CPA was practically mandatory.
Old 13 September 2010, 23:22
NKDA

Has anyone here actually successfully progressed through the TRP to HRT? I am looking into the program and am interested in real first-hand info as opposed to word of mouth and/or the recruiting info. PMs Preferred.

Edited to add: On a public note, are there specific medic billets on the team(s)?

Last edited by O_Pos; 13 September 2010 at 23:26.
Old 17 September 2010, 23:12
Authorized Personnel

They are having a hard time getting guys to try out after they get in under program...now they are very much emphasizing that you are making a promise, essentially, to give it a go...although no one is required to try out, obviously.

And, the TRP advantage, other than coming in with "SWAT/SF/Ranger" as your critical skill, is that you can try out in two years vs. three.

Medic slots, yes, but they are SA medics with some program manager non-SA types in the mix, too.
Old 30 March 2011, 08:45
Confirmed User

HRT contracts out their Medic positions. My understanding after talking with a couple of them down there last year that they travel with the teams and go everywhere. However, do not "stack up" with them outside the door. They conduct the first aid training and train up the different teams. And many of the SA's get their EMT as well.

Edited to add: Sorry for the necropost. Had done a search and this thread showed up and my poor S.A. didn't pick up on the date. Apologies.

Last edited by Echo Five Bravo; 30 March 2011 at 08:53. Reason: Apology
Old 30 March 2011, 12:14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
GS 10?? Man they don't pay those guys near enough what they should.
It does seem awfully low, considering what those guys go through. I have a couple buds that are FBI and they both work their asses off and work UC with significant risks...

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 31 March 2011, 16:11
Confirmed User

Journeyman position with FBI is GS-13 plus 25% LEO pay. Normal annual progression is 11/12 then 13 depending on a few variables. Keen possibility of GS -13 within 3-4 years on the job. The 25% LEO pay makes a huge difference, plus locality pay added in.

You receive a "temporary" promotion to GS-14 with HRT if you are a 13.

Our new posting rules