SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Medal of Honor

Old 16 October 2016, 17:42
Only slightly useless.

MOH recipient Richard Pittman

MOH recipient Richard Pittman has passed away at age 71.

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detai...-richard-a.php

Pittman remained in the Marine Corp till 1988, retiring as a Master Gunnery Sgt. Would love to hear from any members here who may have had the honor of serving with him.

Reading his Medal citation, all I could say was "Wow".

RIP Sir.

" when life gives you lemons, make grape juice and confuse the hell out of them"
Old 16 October 2016, 18:34

Certified Warrior!

Rest In Peace, Warrior and thank you for your service!
Old 17 October 2016, 02:33
Did...did I do that?

I shared his citation on Twitter, and his grandson(?) responded to the tweet. I pointed him to this thread.

Several articled linked in his son's Twitter stream: https://twitter.com/Bpitty

It's always so damned dusty in the house when I read those citations.

The Master Gunnery Sgt was blind in one eye from his youth. Cheated the eye exam to get in the Marines. Wow.

Last edited by bobmueller; 17 October 2016 at 02:38.
Old 17 October 2016, 05:53
Been There Done That

Lest we forget ..................

Here is His citation :

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as a member of First Platoon, Company I, Third Battalion, Fifth Marines during combat operations near the Demilitarized Zone, Republic of Vietnam. On July 24, 1966, while Company I was conducting an operation along the axis of a narrow jungle trail, the leading company elements suffered numerous casualties when they suddenly came under heavy fire from a well concealed and numerically superior enemy force. Hearing the engaged Marines' calls for more firepower, Sergeant (then Lance Corporal) Pittman quickly exchanged his rifle for a machine gun and several belts of ammunition, left the relative safety of his platoon, and unhesitatingly rushed forward to aid his comrades. Taken under intense enemy small-arms fire at point blank range during his advance, he returned the fire, silencing the enemy positions. As Sergeant Pittman continued to forge forward to aid members of the leading platoon, he again came under heavy fire from two automatic weapons which he promptly destroyed. Learning that there were additional wounded Marines fifty yards further along the trail, he braved a withering hail of enemy mortar and small-arms fire to continue onward. As he reached the position where the leading Marines had fallen, he was suddenly confronted with a bold frontal attack by 30 to 40 enemy. Totally disregarding his own safety, he calmly established a position in the middle of the trail and raked the advancing enemy with devastating machine-gun fire. His weapon rendered ineffective, he picked up a submachine gun and, together with a pistol seized from a fallen comrade, continued his lethal fire until the enemy force had withdrawn. Having exhausted his ammunition except for a grenade which he hurled at the enemy, he then rejoined his own platoon. Sergeant Pittman's daring initiative, bold fighting spirit and selfless devotion to duty inflicted many enemy casualties, disrupted the enemy attack and saved the lives of many of his wounded comrades. His personal valor at grave risk to himself reflects the highest credit upon himself, the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.[4]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 180px-Pittman_RA.jpg (11.3 KB, 153 views)
Old 17 October 2016, 08:52
Been There Done That

RIP Master Guns. 3/5 'Darkhorse' has made tremendous sacrifices in the past 15yrs and I'm sure he's in good company in Valhalla.
Old 17 October 2016, 09:06
All Labs Matter

Stud. RIP, Sir.
Old 18 October 2016, 13:34
Secure The Victory!

RIP, Marine.
Old 18 October 2016, 14:13
Abnormal User

RIP, MGySgt Pittman. Semper Fi.

That's when you find out that you're better off makin' sure your soul's alright” -- Prince
Old 18 October 2016, 14:48
Administrator

Balls that clank. RIP marine.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Our new posting rules