SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Special Operations Tributes

Old 1 April 2009, 22:53
Old Scroll

Arlington National Cemetary in Full Bloom

Arlington has turned out for inspection, resplendent in her full dress...

The Japanese Cherries are at the height of bloom, and are absolutely beautiful. The only thing more stunning is the wreaths laid at Christmas when there is snow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arlington Cherries 1.jpg (93.1 KB, 324 views)
Old 1 April 2009, 22:56
Old Scroll

They really are beautiful... I hope the boys are enjoying them, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arlington Cherries 2.jpg (81.3 KB, 320 views)
Old 1 April 2009, 22:59
Old Scroll

RIP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPT Rippetoe.jpg (34.8 KB, 321 views)
Old 2 April 2009, 00:33
Authorized

Thank you
Old 2 April 2009, 08:38
Conformed User

Very touching.
Old 2 April 2009, 11:11
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

When I was living in the Wash DC area I used to enter into Arlington Nat'l Cemetery, stop my car, and just get out and walk among the stones. I would stay away from the crowds so I could have my moment alone. I could hear the stories and voices of those thereunder.

For those of us who have touched combat several times and realize the quicknss of death and the carnage that accompanies warfare, the silent voices I heard during my walks was heart telling, a recall to the times that one never lives by way of book or movie.

Arlington: A place of glory, a place of silent heroism. A salute to those who gave for us.
Old 2 April 2009, 11:18
Been There Done That

Thanks for posting. There's something special about the one with the girl on the bridge looking back.
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk
Old 2 April 2009, 13:20

Thank you for posting.

My father was a bugler at Arlington, words can’t describe how solemn a moment that is when they play taps for the final time.

It’s funny because I just spoke with him yesterday, and he told me that he had recently gone back there for a visit. He said that he was able to tour the grounds, retrace his ‘steps’, gain access to the restricted area, and meet up with some of the current Guardsmen.

They we’re pretty surprised to find out that he served way back in ‘53!

After the Army, my father went to college on the G.I. bill and pursued a career in teaching and coaching football.

He had a very long and successful coaching career, many, many championships at three different schools. He is probably the only high school football coach in America who has had a Superbowl MVP and hall of famer (Steve Young,) and a Superbowl winning head coach (Tom Coughlin) play for him in high school.

Different schools, different players, different era’s….but the coach and his philosophy never changed. He was hard nosed, honorable, and duty oriented….and his teams always reflected that.

I know that he took very seriously the development of the young men put in his charge. I also know that he rubbed many people the wrong way by being ‘old fashioned’ and uncompromising on his principles.

Undoubtedly, the principles and experiences instilled in him while a member of the Honor Guard coursed through his life and led to his success.

He’s a great man….he wound up touching more lives then he’ll ever know…..

Thanks again for posting.
Old 2 April 2009, 13:56

Thank you B 2/75, breathtaking.

My daughter just returned last night from a school trip to Washington and this was the one place I most wanted her to see. I've never been but hope to one day. She told me the Cherry Blossoms and rolling hills where Beautiful.
Old 2 April 2009, 14:09

We got back from DC about 2 weeks ago, missed the Cherry Blossoms. Our purpose for the trip was to help our children grow in understanding & respect for our American heritage, and to embrace it as their own. To start it off, we went to Arlington on Sunday Morning.

Here's pictures from our visit to Arlington.

Also some pictures from the day we visited the major memorials on the mall (with some touristy stuff thrown in as well).
Old 3 April 2009, 18:39
Old Scroll

Today the kid's grand tour of DC continued, with two stops: the National Spy Museum (pretty damn good) and also the Museum of American History. My idea was mainly for them to see Old Glory (now completely restored and in a specially-lit vault where the flag is laying down on a gently sloping table, instead of hanging as it did when I was a kid.

But, the purpose of this post is what I just happened to blunder into: in the exhibit on "The Price of Freedom" which covers all American conflicts is a tiny exhibit on OIF that consists of one display case. In it I was very surprised to see CPT Rippetoe's uniform, Bible, dog tags, and his parent's Gold Star Banner.

They couldn't have picked a better representative of the Army for their display...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rippetoe 3 small.jpg (38.2 KB, 234 views)
Old 3 April 2009, 18:40
Old Scroll

His effects
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rippetoe 4 small.jpg (33.2 KB, 234 views)
Old 3 April 2009, 18:41
Old Scroll

Attribution
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rippetoe 5 small.jpg (24.3 KB, 235 views)
Old 3 April 2009, 18:42
Old Scroll

Uniform and Parent's Gold Star Banner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rippetoe 1 small.jpg (31.1 KB, 233 views)
Old 3 April 2009, 18:46
Old Scroll

Uniform

I was very surprised to find the CPT in this display, especially after having visited him on Wednesday.
My kids now have him right up there with Washington, Lincoln, and FDR, which I suppose is about right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rippetoe 2 small.jpg (28.6 KB, 235 views)
Old 3 April 2009, 22:00
The Green FOG

My daughters moved to DC about 8 years ago. We now have 2 grand daughters living just a short distance from Arlington and have been there a several times.

Last November I was fortunate enough to attend the funeral of Colonel Jack Moroney. It was the first time I ever attended a full Military Funeral. I was at a lose for words.

One of these day we will get to see Spring and the Cheery blossoms..

RIP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2987s.jpg (53.7 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2989s.jpg (58.7 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2991s.jpg (61.4 KB, 223 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
Old 4 April 2009, 10:07
My Heroes Wear Camouflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Last November I was fortunate enough to attend the funeral of Colonel Jack Moroney. It was the first time I ever attended a full Military Funeral. I was at a lose for words.
Thanks for the pictures, JJ. RIP, Colonel Jack...you are greatly missed.

I've been to Arlington/DC only once but it was while the Cherry blooms were in full glory. It was breathtaking...
Old 4 April 2009, 17:10
Authorized

It's easy to be overwhelmed any time of the year at Arlington. Appreciate the photos.
Old 10 September 2014, 20:59
Old Scroll

Crusty, you're absolutely correct, but being overwhelmed by the sight and presence of fellow servicemen you never knew, and maybe some whom you did know, is evidence of a life spent in the service our Country, rather than the self.

I'm a bit discordant tonight, but my intent is to say that anytime you've an opportunity to visit a Veteran's cemetery, please do so. It is good for both the vets, and for your soul.
Old 10 September 2014, 22:02
Innocent Bystander

B 2/75, I hope you do not mind me piggybacking on your post.

December 13, 2014 is the National Wreaths Across America day nationwide.

Please consider checking out the organization's website to locate your nearest cemetery and spending a couple of hours in the morning of that day to place wreaths on our Fallen Heroes' graves. Bring your family and friends. It is a great community time. I do not have words to describe how it feels to do this job; it is humbling, inspiring, emotional, and powerful all at the same time.

2014 is Arlington National Cemetery's 150th anniversary, making this year's event even more special. No Fallen Hero should be left without a wreath.

http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/
Old 11 September 2014, 05:52
Morte et une dame

There is a Veterans' cemetery in my State.
I went to visit it, one day. It's beautiful, but there is a distinct aura of 'hallowed ground'; a job well done. I have a couple of plots, there.
Old 2 October 2014, 20:21
Authorized

Ceremonies at Arlington were the most memorable while in the Honor Guard (Coast Guard). I was very fortunate to have that opportunity.

Our new posting rules