SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 25 October 2011, 09:21
Been There Done That

Raw Combat: The Underground World of Mixed Martial Arts

I wanted to give a plug for this book, since the author Jim Genia is one of my closest friends.

He spent several years exploring the underground fight scene in New York City, and developed some surprising insights. He also used to cover UFC and wrote for Full Contact Fighter magazine.

Here is a link to a review:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...ts-book-review

It goes on sale in bookstores today, if anybody even goes to bookstores anymore. Also available on Amazon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 316067_2392559584878_1577562486_2420944_842716576_n.jpg (30.0 KB, 549 views)
19 Oct 2017
Old 26 October 2011, 11:48
Been There Done That

Mako check your PM's
Old 26 October 2011, 22:11
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Does he go into the history of underground, unlicensed fighting? It goes way back, to the days of the itinerant bare knuckle brawlers.

The movie [I]Hard Times [/I ]comes to mind, I'm sure these types of bouts went on even before then.
Old 4 November 2011, 07:51
Confirmed User

Thanks for posting this. I'm actually a current contributor to Full Contact Fighter (they have moved to a web format at fcfighter.com). I will definitely check it out. If your friend is interested in having a review done at the site and has an electronic copy he could send to me, let me know!
Old 4 November 2011, 12:56
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Does he go into the history of underground, unlicensed fighting? It goes way back, to the days of the itinerant bare knuckle brawlers.

The movie [I]Hard Times [/I ]comes to mind, I'm sure these types of bouts went on even before then.
Hard Times with Bronson and Coburn is a cool flick. Eastwood in the 2 Any Which Way but Loose films. In the 2nd flick he fights an old bodybuilding actor William Smith and I like the fight scenes in that.

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 4 November 2011, 13:04
Confirmed User

You just broke the First and second rule of Fight Club
Old 4 November 2011, 13:29
Carl Spackler
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalitus View Post
You just broke the First and second rule of Fight Club
Never saw this flick. Any good?
Old 4 November 2011, 15:06
Voodoo guru

Count it sold.

Especially interested if he gets into the history.
I was in and around the stuff in the early days. Gym to gym fights, warehouses.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 4 November 2011, 15:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
Never saw this flick. Any good?
The Book was of course much deeper on the intellectual/philosophical side of the arguments posed. However, the translation onto film was not dissapointing.
Highly recommend and the movie will only make you want to read the book(but will not ruin the read).

Last edited by Mortalitus; 4 November 2011 at 15:34.
Old 4 November 2011, 18:10
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTROCK View Post
Hard Times with Bronson and Coburn is a cool flick. Eastwood in the 2 Any Which Way but Loose films. In the 2nd flick he fights an old bodybuilding actor William Smith and I like the fight scenes in that.

Rock
The same Bill Smith who plays the Russian Commander in Red Dawn who tried to kill Jed and his bro at the end. I saw a pic of him as a young body builder...he was born in the early 30's so this pic was maybe 1955 or so...before roids. Fuckin ripped he was.

Last edited by Hostile0311; 4 November 2011 at 18:11. Reason: Mistake
Old 5 November 2011, 14:40
Voodoo guru

Good on him for getting the kindle addition published with the hard copy. I bought it and will give it a read this weekend.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 10 November 2011, 15:28

Everything I know about underground fighting can be found in this movie

Old 10 November 2011, 16:56
Migratory Coconut

That needs to be a Motivational Poster

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 18 July 2012, 22:56

Just gonna necro an old thread to echo my feelings that this book is great and well worth the read. Jim is a great guy, one of the best and most honest writers in MMA. Here was my review of the book from last year:

http://nymmanow.blogspot.com/2011/09...derground.html
Old 19 July 2012, 03:58
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
By the morning of November 13th, martial artists across America were struggling to accommodate the shocking reality that most of what they had been training held very little practical application whatsoever. Like smelling salt abruptly waking an unconscious man, the UFC reminded us that we had divorced the martial from martial arts. Some folks kept drinking the Cool Aid, convinced that their grandmaster really knew all the deadly secrets and could defeat those TV fighters if given a chance. Others, myself included, made a radical shift in how we viewed martial arts, training, and fighting. Raw Combat is our story.
Good quote Sambosteve

Although I began my travels in the ring and on on the mats long before most, coming from a very eclectic background (boxing at a very young age, American Freestyle Karate, Judo, wrestling) I never was taken in by the seemingly epidemic view that this or that style or instructor was somehow in possession of some "special" knowledge or skills that transcended any other hard working reality based martial art.

I remember thinking WTF on so many occasions when seeing any number of techniques or "sensei worship" that seemed useless and impractical...all I knew is in my local area, when it got down to brass tacks and we were just putting on the gloves and having a go (allot of so called experts would never do this at that time) I was putting guys on the floor whom were supposedly experienced highly respected "experts" and wondering the whole time about all the mysticism and BS I had learned/heard but never remotely bought into regarding martial arts over the years.

I was glad when the PKA and WKA showed up and the reality started edging in and even more so later after my days of getting banged everyday when UFC and MMA blasted on the scene and BJJ became popular and really blew all the myths into the wind.

Gonna have to get a copy on Amazon myself...

Last edited by CarbineM1; 19 July 2012 at 04:15.
Old 19 July 2012, 09:16
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Navy View Post
Everything I know about underground fighting can be found in this movie

who wants to fight The Lion!?
Old 19 July 2012, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbineM1 View Post
Good quote Sambosteve

Although I began my travels in the ring and on on the mats long before most, coming from a very eclectic background (boxing at a very young age, American Freestyle Karate, Judo, wrestling) I never was taken in by the seemingly epidemic view that this or that style or instructor was somehow in possession of some "special" knowledge or skills that transcended any other hard working reality based martial art.

I remember thinking WTF on so many occasions when seeing any number of techniques or "sensei worship" that seemed useless and impractical...all I knew is in my local area, when it got down to brass tacks and we were just putting on the gloves and having a go (allot of so called experts would never do this at that time) I was putting guys on the floor whom were supposedly experienced highly respected "experts" and wondering the whole time about all the mysticism and BS I had learned/heard but never remotely bought into regarding martial arts over the years.

I was glad when the PKA and WKA showed up and the reality started edging in and even more so later after my days of getting banged everyday when UFC and MMA blasted on the scene and BJJ became popular and really blew all the myths into the wind.

Gonna have to get a copy on Amazon myself...
Thanks. Yeah. The "Sensei Worship" and mysticism thing is crazy. And sadly, is still pretty common...even in some "MMA" circles. Especially as the older "TMA" community has attempted to jump on the bandwagon for marketing purposes. Those of us living in NY are still kind of living in the old days...it is bizarre.

The book is a real easy and fun read.
Old 25 July 2012, 11:06
Confirmed User

Anyone find it funny that the production company that made that Van Damme movie is called "Wrong Bet Productions" when the movie features people betting on illegal street fights?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100029/plotsummary

When seeing the plot of the movie in a paragraph, it becomes even more pathetic.
Old 29 July 2012, 20:32
0311/8651

william smith was in the AF.worked for NSA,secret stuff,fluent in Russian.heck of a weightlifter too.

Our new posting rules