SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 July 2014, 12:03
Authorized Personnel

Malaysian Air Shot Down over Ukraine

Malaysian airlines has some more problems...

Another jet (777) with 295 something pax has gone down near the Ukraine/Russia border...

There is speculation it was not an accident and was shot down by a SA missile....

I hope that is not true....

another WTF??

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 17 July 2014, 12:13
Drawing my cutlass

Unfortunately and tragically true that the aircraft went in:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/17/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

And an advisor to the Interior Minister of Ukraine just announced that the plane was hit by a missile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post
Malaysian airlines has some more problems...

Another jet (777) with 295 something pax has gone down near the Ukraine/Russia border...

There is speculation it was not an accident and was shot down by a SA missile....

I hope that is not true....

another WTF??

Sltwtr1

OUT

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy

Last edited by Justaclerk; 17 July 2014 at 12:19. Reason: Removed 'speculation' comment and added announcement.
Old 17 July 2014, 12:40
Preparing to defend

Seems like it was brought down "by mistake" by the Ukrainian separtist. Or so the separtist say on a "tweet". As said on Fox just now. They had been reported to have been showing off a "Buq" ADA system. Apparently 2-3 other aircraft, Ukrainian .mil, have been brought down in the last week or so.
Old 17 July 2014, 13:02
Authorized Personnel

Yea, seems like separatists thought they were shooting down a MIL aircraft and fucked up.

According to CNN: Just after it occurred, apparently Putin was calling (Scheduled call) Pres. Obama to complain/discuss the new sanctions we imposed on Russia yesterday. Putin had to be like, ummmm yea, I don't like those sanctions, and PS, I just heard our separatist allies just shot down a civ 777..

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 17 July 2014, 13:09
Russian Tycoon

I have a Stupid Question (™): is there a general practice to avoid airspace of the areas that are engaged in military conflict? For example, are the planes allowed to fly over Gaza now? Would it make sense to redirect the air traffic?
Old 17 July 2014, 13:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
I have a Stupid Question (): is there a general practice to avoid airspace of the areas that are engaged in military conflict? For example, are the planes allowed to fly over Gaza now? Would it make sense to redirect the air traffic?
Ukrainian government officially shut-down the airspace in that area few months ago.
http://www.baltinfo.ru/2014/05/06/Vlasti-Ukrainy-zakryli-vozdushnoe-prostranstvo-nad-Luganskoi-i-Donetckoi-oblastyami-423700
Old 17 July 2014, 13:18
Drawing my cutlass

Some photos from the crash site:

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 17 July 2014, 13:21
Hard to Kill

They are going to get chigger bites
Old 17 July 2014, 13:24
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Seems like it was brought down "by mistake" by the Ukrainian separtist. Or so the separtist say on a "tweet". As said on Fox just now. They had been reported to have been showing off a "Buq" ADA system. Apparently 2-3 other aircraft, Ukrainian .mil, have been brought down in the last week or so.
The 9K37 Buk/Buk M1-3, better known to us in the west as the SA-11 Gadfly system. I heard about the Il-76 brought down last month, and about some "transport plane," being hit yesterday. Thought they were the same thing until now. If this system was used, it has a range of 2-30 miles, depending on the variant... Did they just shoot at some blip?

Whatever the case, what a horrible way to go, RIP to those killed.

GwaG - I think, one of the problems is the Russian separatists are in a number of areas, and the Ukrainians don't know where they all are. That said, this 777 may have flown directly over or nearby some of them, and at least one of them had an itchy button pushing finger. (Assuming it was the Russian separatists...)

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 17 July 2014, 13:30
Administrator

Make sure pictures are sized properly.
Old 17 July 2014, 13:33
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the Captain speaking, we'd like to thank you for making Malaysian Airlines your carrier of choice today, we do realize that in today's market you have other options, and in light of the fact that over 500 of our passengers have been killed in the last 6 months while flying with us, we really do appreciate your continued patronage".

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 17 July 2014, 13:35
Confirmed User

I think people are assuming way to much so I will. Maybe the Ukrainains are nervous because a Russian aircraft shot down a Su-25 so the Ukrainains move a SAM battery in the AO? In the end it will be a he said she said ordeal.

"When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law - just a fight for survival." - Billy Jack
Old 17 July 2014, 13:45
Authorized Personnel

On talk Radio...Fox news just reported that 23 pax were listed as US passport holders

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 17 July 2014, 14:04
Authorized Personnel

So apparently, after the news broke on all this... All the European airlines, Lufthansa etc said they were banning all flights over the Ukraine.. (The FAA had banned US carriers in April over that area).

So a number of hours after all this, CNN takes a look at a radar screen shot of aircraft in the flight corridors over the area... There were only 3 aircraft... Just 3... Two Russian aircraft and ANOTHER Malaysian jet on its way to Paris...

WTF???

They are part of Sky Team, that I don't fly unless forced to... However, what kind of standards does Sky Team have to allow their members to Codeshare, connect, etc to an airline that is obviously fucked up...

I fly Star Alliance and sometimes One World.. I highly doubt Star Alliance would allow Malaysian airlines to be a partner...

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 17 July 2014, 14:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome View Post
I think people are assuming way to much so I will. Maybe the Ukrainains are nervous because a Russian aircraft shot down a Su-25 so the Ukrainains move a SAM battery in the AO? In the end it will be a he said she said ordeal.
Based on everything so far.. I highly doubt this..

The separatists shot down two large transport aircraft in the past week, one at 21K ft yesterday.

The radar signature for a Su-25 vs a 777 is much different..

It appears that they prob thought that is was another Ukraine transport...

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 17 July 2014, 14:15
Been There Done That

Somewhere out there some conspiracy theorist has already "proven" this is actually flight 370.
Old 17 July 2014, 14:43
Confirmed User

US and UK issued NOTAMs for this airspace in April citing controller problems.
Old 17 July 2014, 15:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaroy View Post
US and UK issued NOTAMs for this airspace in April citing controller problems.
Apparently Malaysia didn't get the memo. Then again, wasn't there another aircraft shot down like a week ago in the same area?

To your point though, controller problems? Sounds like bullshit to me. Controller problems, as in, guiding aircraft into areas to get shot down? Sounds like more than controller problems to me.

There are two kinds of people in this world,
the smart and lazy, and the stupid and industrious. Be wary of the stupid and industrious, they will fuck something up every time.
Old 17 July 2014, 15:11
Calix Meus Inebrians

Could Malaysian Airlines have ignored/accepted the risk of flying over a war zone to avoid having to buy & burn more fuel per flight?
Old 17 July 2014, 15:17
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Russian separatists have claimed they recovered both black boxes, and are turning them over to Russian authorities.

Reuters also reports they (the separatists) are willing to have up to a three day ceasefire to allow investigators to recover wreckage and examine the crash area/debris field.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."

Our new posting rules