Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > ARSOF Recruitment and Prep

Old 28 August 2017, 11:56

Difference between NG SF and Active Duty SF

I've been curious to know how much different the NG SF is from Active Duty.

Are the NG guys deployed almost as much as Active Duty?

Reason I'm asking is I'm thinking in about 2-3 years about attempting to go 18X. Former 11B, just tired of civ life.

Reason for the 2-3 years is that I'm not trying to waste any Cadre's time and not being at the top of my game.
Old 28 August 2017, 15:36
Been There Done That

SF is SF.
Old 29 August 2017, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
SF is SF.
Solid copy.
Old 29 August 2017, 12:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoffma View Post

Are the NG guys deployed almost as much as Active Duty?

Reason I'm asking is I'm thinking in about 2-3 years about attempting to go 18X. Former 11B, just tired of civ life.

Reason for the 2-3 years is that I'm not trying to waste any Cadre's time and not being at the top of my game.
NG SF is basically Active Duty-Lite now. Expect a deployment 1 out of every 3 years for the rest of eternity for some reason.

Forget weekend drills- you'll now, at a minimum, drill Thur-Sun most of the year. Once a year you'll have like a weeklong drill.

Basically- you can forget about trying to balance a legit job in corporate America with being in the SF- those days are over. You can either be a guard bum and do nothing but jump from one set of orders to the next, be a contractor downrange and just come back for the deployments, or be like the night-manager at Lowes or some place that doesn't give a shit or notice when you are gone half the time.

I thought we'd go back to normal after Iraq and Afghan were done, but for some reason the optempo is the same.
22 Aug 17
Old 30 August 2017, 13:16
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
SF is SF.
Well..... yes and no. Each has distinct advantages and disadvantages. If anyone knows this you do.

However, Mako has a great point. After ten years I left NGSF. I had some great experiences and was very fortunate that some square away people squared me away. But in the end serving two masters is tiring and no one is ever happy. If you're about anything but a state civil servant or a young single guy just going to the Q will be a huge financial hurdle. It's a PCS move so if you have a mortgage good luck. I don't know how guys from California do it.

The good thing about the NGSF is you can vote with your feet. But on the flip side not only does your state own you but USASOC, NGB, and your SFG. Talk about stacking stupid... I'm seven years short of a NGB retirement, and trying to quantify the ass pain to get it and the math just isn't working out.

Go for it. The best thing that happens is you end up on an ODA loving life. The worst thing is it destroys your finances and family.
Old 30 August 2017, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post

Go for it. The best thing that happens is you end up on an ODA loving life. The worst thing is it destroys your finances and family.
The thing I'm looking at is training for the next 2-3 years to go from Contracting to attempt AD SFAS. I mean, worst thing that would happen is that I would be shifted back to being 11B knucklehead.

I'll probably be around 33-34 going back in. My thinking is that I'm WAY more mature now and should be able to handle the SFAS course without dying if I pay attention to advice I've been given by some former group guys.

Finances would be ok for me since I don't own a house or have a family of my own.

Primarily just curious on whether or not AD or NG was a better gig. Definitely don't want to be a leg in the NG....
Old 30 August 2017, 16:51
Been There Done That

My brother 10 years my senior was in the 19th SF in southern WV during the late 70's and early 80's. I often went to his drills with him. I would clean weapons in the Armory, ride around with the XO in a jeep on the DZ when they jumped and even rappelled with them in the New River Gorge. They were some cool cats and adopted me like a puppy.

The Commander then was a Col (?) Taggett the who later would become the WV AG.

My experiences with them motivated me to join the Army right after high school and to become a Ranger.

It was a good unit. The unit later moved to another part of the state causing my brother to transfer to a closers NG unit.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 30 August 2017, 17:33

1RiserSlip, thanks for the input.

I come from just being a regular leg that did his 4 years and got out. It's taken me close to 8 years to figure out that was a giant mistake.

I guess when you start reflecting one day and you're at the point where you do feel like the work you do matters, it make you rethink being out.

I'm not going to say that I'll be successful attempting SFAS, but I will attempt it, stay in listen mode and keep going until I physically cannot move anymore.

It's not a desire to wear the coveted long tab and green beret. It that warrior urge that still sees crap getting worse, year by year and no longer wanting to sit on the side lines wishing I could do something.
Old 30 August 2017, 19:57
Been There Done That

Quote:

It's not a desire to wear the coveted long tab and green beret. It that warrior urge that still sees crap getting worse, year by year and no longer wanting to sit on the side lines wishing I could do something.
Okay, let's not get all poetic, kid.

Look, at the end of the day your wishing to do something ain't gonna cut it. If you are going to make it, it is because you absolutely can't imagine life unless you become a Green Beret. Like you just wouldn't be able to live with your shame if you didn't make it. If you are at that level, you'll make it unless you get hurt or just plain suck.

And while Im holding court- here's another tidbit. Every goddamned drill in NGSF is this- you go in, stare at each other, inventory your gear, get breifings, and do a bunch of shit paperwork. Literally. Every. drill.

I've been at my current unit for 4 years and ONE time we actually went somewhere for training that wasn't AT. And those ATs are always SFAUC (Yawn. Yeah. I get it. We put the bomb on the door and then slowly walk through the room shooting everything. How many times?)

The entire year is spent prepping either the entire company for deployment, recovery from deployment, or getting half the teams out on voluntary deployments on the years in between. Every now and then there is a jump. Its shit. I'm just waiting for my high three before firing my retirement papers through the window.

I remember the heady days in the mid 90's of being in a LRSD in the Maryland NG where we were told to show up to drill already cammied up for a MUTA-5 on Friday night and the bird would be sitting there right by the cabin with rotors turning as soon as we showed up, and we'd get on them and insert into the mountains and spend the weekend doing recons.

That's what the National Guard is supposed to be- weekend warriors who actually train in the weekends in case of a big ass war. Not an endless, grinding cycle of deployments and readiness exercises.
22 Aug 17
Old 30 August 2017, 21:27
Been There Done That

Mhoffma, unfortunately Mako is right. Notice in my above post I said sitting in armory cleaning weapons. Anything more than that was a bonus. Also, I was a 15 y/o kid and easily impressed. There were some great guys in that unit that had served AD time on real teams.

Once I was active duty I spent some time evaluating different NG units on their 2 week AT. I left with a genuine disgust of those units. (though they weren't SF) As an evaluator once I was asked by a Sergeant once if I could leave for awhile so he & his guys could smoke dope.

That was cold war era. I know the OP tempo now with the GWOT these units must be more focused I would think. But Mako has a much better take on what's happening currently.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 31 August 2017, 10:51

MakoZeroSix, my apologies on getting poetic.

Until I actually go through with it, I can wish in one hand and shit in...you get the idea.

I would gladly take any advice on prepping for SFAS aside from the run, ruck and ruck run.

1RiserSlip, I couldn't imgaine just the stress of the cold war era wondering if someone was going to make a "whoops" and go to all out war.

I appreciate the time that both of you have taken to give me insight on the NG side. Looks like Active is going to be a better choice. By a long shot.
Old 31 August 2017, 21:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
MakoZeroSix, my apologies on getting poetic.

Until I actually go through with it, I can wish in one hand and shit in...you get the idea.

I would gladly take any advice on prepping for SFAS aside from the run, ruck and ruck run.

1RiserSlip, I couldn't imgaine just the stress of the cold war era wondering if someone was going to make a "whoops" and go to all out war.

I appreciate the time that both of you have taken to give me insight on the NG side. Looks like Active is going to be a better choice. By a long shot.
Please don't run with a rucksack on. It's really not a good idea. There will be plenty of time for that when you're trying to complete the Star and you only have couple of hours left.
22 Aug 17
Old 1 September 2017, 06:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Please don't run with a rucksack on. It's really not a good idea...
Truth right there. That's why Team Sergeants should set the pace. They manage their time so they don't have to run.
Old 1 September 2017, 09:57

Understood. Apparently there haven't been any 18X slots pop up and even going back in as an 11B is a crap shoot.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.
Old 1 September 2017, 12:50
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Understood. Apparently there haven't been any 18X slots pop up and even going back in as an 11B is a crap shoot.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.
The smart money is doing NGSF and then going AD, if you want, at the end of the Q. That way if you step in a hole and break your ankle you don't end up in the 82nd for 4 yrs hating life.
Old 1 September 2017, 17:22

Quote:
The smart money is doing NGSF and then going AD, if you want, at the end of the Q. That way if you step in a hole and break your ankle you don't end up in the 82nd for 4 yrs hating life.
Don't need to catching any of those flying STDs.....

I appreciate all the info gents. Looks like NG is way to go to start. I actually contacted a recruiter and was told to do it that way since there isn't much love for PS going to AD.
Old 15 October 2017, 09:56
Been There Done That

A little off the OPs original question on what's the difference between NG SF and AD SF but this shows one of the big differences. In 1980's the 19th SF were issued GRC-109 type radios, thirteen of them and one PRC-74.
Old 15 October 2017, 10:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Quote:
SF is SF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
NG SF is basically Active Duty-Lite now. Expect a deployment 1 out of every 3 years for the rest of eternity for some reason.
Quote:
Well..... yes and no. Each has distinct advantages and disadvantages.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I appreciate all the info gents. Looks like NG is way to go to start.
So...to sum up....

Quote:
SF is SF.

Our new posting rules