Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 16 November 2017, 11:11
Administrator

I started reading last night at 1930. Looked up 377 pages later and it was midnight.

As others have said, you have a gift brother. Your writing style is completely unique. It took a lot of courage to write that book. I posted a review. I re-wrote it half a dozen times, as it didn't seem to do you or the book, justice. I hope it is sufficient.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 16 November 2017, 11:44
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I started reading last night at 1930. Looked up 377 pages later and it was midnight.

As others have said, you have a gift brother. Your writing style is completely unique. It took a lot of courage to write that book. I posted a review. I re-wrote it half a dozen times, as it didn't seem to do you or the book, justice. I hope it is sufficient.
Thank you for that review!

I am glad that someone gets it. I could not write this book in any other way.

It is risky to write a book with as much truth as you can muster, but I did not want to feel any regrets over it, and I needed to say some things that have been on my conscience for many decades now.

In a way, I probably could not have written that book until now, as it took me many years before I was actually honest with myself. I had a couple of health scares in the last years, and it dawned on me that if I did not do it now that I would not be around to do it later. We do not always have time.

I have to credit my therapist, as well. You only get out of therapy what you put into it, so I hit a point where I no longer wasted his time nor mine. After all, he gets paid to listen.

I benefited from therapy, and writing this book was an extension of it, and a consequence. For me it is a personal triumph, and I have experienced some amazing victories in this life, as well as many failures.

The biggest triumph for me, however, is not this book. It is that I am still happily married to the same woman for the past ten years. That is the other consequence of much therapy for me. There is no question that the Big Ranger blessed me when he placed her in my path.

And I should also thank the VA. They pay the bills. Without the VA, I would be dead.

This book is the second greatest milestone in my life.

Thank God that I got it done.

Thank you for your kind comments, thank you for understanding, and thank you for that awesome review!

Last edited by magician; 16 November 2017 at 11:56.
Old 16 November 2017, 14:24
Been There Done That

I am not finished (although I did skip ahead and read the Postscript : Afterword) and I too am a fan of your writing style.

I also particularly like the palpable honesty that is in the afterword. It might be hard for some to accept and probably even harder to speak but it comes across in the write tone.

Job well done. Now finish the rest!
Old 16 November 2017, 18:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
I am the same way. I was surprised that the book ended up at 377 pages, as I really tried to keep the narrative succinct.

I keep waiting for readers to complain that the Big Ranger in the Sky had such an explicit role. I write nonfiction. If it happened, I recount it.

In any case, I thank you very much for reading.
I HOPE what you got from my post is an attaboy. I liked your compact style (interlaced with a few descriptions), especially in the more suspenseful parts. I was, by describing what I don't like, offhandedly telling you that you delivered what I DO like. I want to make sure you got that message

And for the record, I liked the Big Ranger in the Sky references, because that's how I see life. Not everything can be explained as a random cosmic accident. Some things are the way they are because they've been directed to be that way. No one can change my mind on that one, so when you referenced that sort of "direction", it resonated with me because it felt familiar.
Old Yesterday, 04:30
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
I HOPE what you got from my post is an attaboy. I liked your compact style (interlaced with a few descriptions), especially in the more suspenseful parts. I was, by describing what I don't like, offhandedly telling you that you delivered what I DO like. I want to make sure you got that message

And for the record, I liked the Big Ranger in the Sky references, because that's how I see life. Not everything can be explained as a random cosmic accident. Some things are the way they are because they've been directed to be that way. No one can change my mind on that one, so when you referenced that sort of "direction", it resonated with me because it felt familiar.
I have yet to encounter a combat veteran who does not have an unshakable belief in a higher power.

Thank you for the praise!

It is profoundly humbling to see so many people buying, reading, and reviewing my work.
Old Yesterday, 08:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
I have yet to encounter a combat veteran who does not have an unshakable belief in a higher power.

Thank you for the praise!

It is profoundly humbling to see so many people buying, reading, and reviewing my work.
Indeed....

Our new posting rules