SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 23 July 2020, 01:02
Sardonic Interloper

Exercise after surgery

Seems like this forum might be a useful place to ask this question because my doctors always look at me funny when I have unusual queries and give super conservative or vague answers. As it is they think I'm certifiable for always refusing post-surgery pain medication

Anyhoo. How long after surgery do you reckon it's advisable to start exercising?
In the past, on several occasions, due to impatience to get back to operational fitness, I started exercising almost immediately after surgery and had some sub optimal experiences like ripped staples and vaginas appearing out of nowhere.
I had a stripe of stitches down my sternum removed yesterday and I'm itching to get busy again. How long till I can start thinking about doing push ups again, or stretching, without causing damage? Doc says it was very tight to stitch closed
Old 23 July 2020, 09:26
Confirmed User

After my hip replacement the only restrictions I had were no squats, strenuous leg lifting, bending at the waist, or bring my knee above my hip for 90 days.
After my spinal surgery I wasn't supposed to lift anything over 10lbs for 90 days.
Everything else was as I could tolerate.
Old 23 July 2020, 10:20
Confirmed User

Soutpiel,

From your description, it sounds suspiciously like you underwent open heart surgery. If that is the case, please do not take any advice from this, or any, internet forum about returning to exercise.

No one, except your surgeon, understands what the best answer is for you. There are several factors that go into a surgeon's recommendation about returning to exercise, and which exercises are appropriate at any given point in your recovery. Those recommendations are NOT boilerplate for every patient, and are almost always dependent upon several factors, like co-existing medical problems, the complexity of the surgery, how the tissue behaved, etc, etc.

Your surgeon is literally the only person who is in a reliable position to answer this question.

With that said, good luck with your recovery. And please do not do any push ups until your sternotomy is fully-healed.

V/R,
Danny
Old 23 July 2020, 11:43
Sardonic Interloper

My heart is 100's thanks. And asking here because of the specific fitness, wound knowledge, suck-it-up, rambo background of most guys here.

Cosmetic surgeon. Chunk of skin cancer removed.
My query is specifically regarding the likely speed of the wound of gaining strength to hold out against tension. In this instance it is apparently tighter than your average being in the middle of my pecs.

Last edited by Soutpiel; 23 July 2020 at 12:03.
Old 23 July 2020, 12:17
Sardonic Interloper

I was looking for a reply along the lines of "no that is a bad area and will pop open, you must wait two months before you lift a finger" or "it's nothing, drop for 50 push ups you'll probably be fine"
Old 23 July 2020, 12:59
Never to old to learn

MY last back Surgery in FEB 2020 with replacing four screws that came un screw per say. an a few more added . I could post a list 3 pages long of what I could do an not do.

ASK YOUR DOCTOR for a list of things you can do a little at a Time.

This should have been provided to you when you left the hospital

Any time you have MAJOR Surgery it takes time.

IT TAKES TIME an there some things I don't do an if I do then it is just a little BIT at a time. Those are all staples not counting what they did in side of me

MY ADVISE take it one day at a time an very little of any thing.

OR the next posting about will be Funeral Service for SOCNET MEMBER so & so will be at,
After NINE (9) back surgery I think & maybe or not My advise is good advise.

JUST DON"T OVER DO IT you are not getting any YOUNGER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BACK ##3.jpg (13.1 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by wildman43; 23 July 2020 at 13:07. Reason: spelling a word
Old 23 July 2020, 13:02
Never to old to learn

Delete by me I screwed up on the posting
Old 23 July 2020, 14:15
Fan ar an gcosán

I would stay away from exercises that stress the skin, muscles and bones near and around your sternum. Let all layers of the incision and underlying tissues heal. Maybe a good time to focus on cardio and leg work? Godspeed in your healing.
Old 23 July 2020, 17:18
0311/8651

Cardio
Use machines? Very light
Old 23 July 2020, 19:23
Confirmed User

Always listen to your Doc, go slow at first. Killing it one day isn't worth six months of setbacks. Steady, slow and easy.

I had two surgeries earlier this year, started running and back to normal about a month and a half after it.

Our new posting rules